Aaaaaand …. DRINK! Twice.

Here are two images taken from campaign literature Uncle Crappy received at his home, literature produced by the state’s democratic committee, literature encouraging you to reelect Lukey to a full four-year term, literature that WANTS YOU TO DRINK …

Holy moly.  They’re not even fighting it anymore.

They’ve embraced it.

Just like I’m embracing this margarita. My precious.

1. Tinare
    October 30, 2009 11:57 am

I received that flyer in the mail yesterday and giggled. Then had some wine…

2. Still A Fan
    October 30, 2009 11:58 am

saying My Precious reminds me of something. There was a post a while back where somebody mentioned ONE THING from LOTR and someone commented that they couldn’t believe that person was that well read. I would bet tens of dollars that there are thousands of fanatics who could recite those books backwards but have never read another book in their lives.

Vote for Luke! I don’t live there, but he totally reminds me of a kid I used to hang with in college. Let him grow into the job.

3. Chris T
    October 30, 2009 12:11 pm

If you’re going to quote LOTR it’s obvious who you should be voting for. Which of the candidates runs around wielding swords made of foam covered PVC?

Not that there’s anything wrong with that…

4. spoon
    October 30, 2009 12:13 pm

Well if you’re gonna drink, drink local!

5. Carpetbagger
    October 30, 2009 12:25 pm

Have you seen Dok’s weird commercial with Obama (all out of context) asking “Where’s Luke? He should be here.” It seemed so sleezy that, for the first time in my life, I felt sorry for Lukey.

Any chance they can move polling places to bars this year? You know, so you can vote and then slink back to your stool and sip your drink hoping the pain and shame will float away in sea of taquila and quantro.

6. toni
    October 30, 2009 12:31 pm

If Lukey gets re-elected ( and unfortuantley he will) thats when I’ll be drinking….

7. Carpetbagger
    October 30, 2009 12:32 pm

Then Danny O’s drink tax would actually be a poll tax. Hmmm….

8. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    October 30, 2009 12:38 pm

It was only until recently (maybe the past couple of years) that liquor stores were required by law to be closed on Election Day in Pennsylvania. I had to overnight my absentee ballot since the deadline is today at 5:00 p.m. Despite requesting the ballot three weeks ago, I only received it Wednesday. (I still vote in Pittsburgh since State and Federal employees are allowed by law to have a different voting residence from where they actually live if it is a continuation of a prior voting residence.)

October 30, 2009 12:46 pm

Word, spoon.

10. Tinare
    October 30, 2009 12:50 pm

“It was only until recently (maybe the past couple of years) that liquor stores were required by law to be closed on Election Day in Pennsylvania.”

Did you mean that the other way around, ie, only in the last few years that they could open? Rendall signed a law in 2004 to reverse 71 years of always being closed.

11. Pa-pop
    October 30, 2009 12:54 pm

Damn. Here I am in the middle of a publishing seminar at YSU and there is not a Guiness or drop of Jameson’s in sight. I’ll make good when I get home….

12. Pingback: thirsty. « Uncle Crappy

13. bluzdude
    October 30, 2009 1:32 pm

I think the combination of drinking and voting would explain a great deal of election results.

14. Sooska
    October 30, 2009 1:35 pm

bars had to remain closed until after the polls closed and state stores were always closed. you know, in case you were drunk and wanted to make an ill-informed choice. drunk is bad for voting…stupid isn’t.

15. Elmer Fudd
    October 30, 2009 2:09 pm

I was told once by a old timer that the reason the bars were closed on election day was because local politicians would go to the corner bar and buy everyone a round on election day, effectively buying votes for the price of a beer and in some cases swaying enough votes to win. Now if they could just keep the stupid people away….

16. Sexy Jesus
    October 30, 2009 2:12 pm

Anyone else think Luke looks super doughy for a youngish, quasi-thin guy? Sort of like the fattest skinny guy (or skinniest fat guy) you know. He will not age well.

17. Glowczewski
    October 30, 2009 2:30 pm

Has anyone seen any poll numbers? Is there any chance for Acklin or Harris? Any?

18. Sexy Jesus
    October 30, 2009 2:52 pm

No chance. Sadly, the “election” was in May and, sadder still, Luke won. My lord what a capable mayor could do with this city …

19. Pierogi Kid
    October 30, 2009 3:31 pm

As a non-geographical Burgher I keep up with the happenings via the PG online, That’s Church (thank you for coming back Virginia, I really missed your writing) and my Mum. I think Lukey should get a shot at a full term. Mum, who’s been in The Burgh for all of her 80 years says “he’s a nice boy, so what if he has a few drinks, who doesn’t?”

20. andrea
    October 30, 2009 3:35 pm

A few drinks, no problem, Pierogi Kid. But hanging out with a guy who has a very recent criminal past? Having him be your occasional chauffeur? Going to the Obama inauguration with him? I gotta problem with that.

October 30, 2009 3:36 pm

dude, I’m so wasted…..

22. Sexy Jesus
    October 30, 2009 3:45 pm

Do not forget that he has a black belt in jock sniffing.

It’s often said in Washington that the most dangerous place to be is between (take your pick: Harry Reid, Hillary Clinton, John Boehner) and a camera.

In Pittsburgh it’s to be between Luke and (take your pick: Tiger Woods, a Steeler, a Penguin, a parade). He might even run you over to glad hand with a Pirate, he does not appear to have high standards in anything that he does.

23. Pierogi Kid
    October 30, 2009 4:14 pm

Most Mayors of the Burgh had some bones in a box. Mum says The Burgh hasn’t had a “real”
    Mayor since David L. Lawrence. I liked Dick Caliguiri, I cast the first vote of my life for him.

October 30, 2009 9:56 pm

Elmer Fudd: Down here in West V’Ginny our price is a little higher: a dollar and a swaller.

25. Elmer Fudd
    October 31, 2009 12:53 am

Bucdaddy: It sounds like down in West V’Ginny the local polling place also doubles as the town strip club…

26. Carpetbagger
    October 31, 2009 1:05 pm

Then they would have a pole tax.