Craigslist What the Effie

Via reader Charles:

In other news, I have free grass clippings.  All the free grass clipping you could possibly want.  You just need to come here, cut my grass and buddy, that grass is yours to take with you.

I also have free dog poop if you scoop it, free dirt in my house if you’d like to vacuum it up, free dog hair if you’d like to groom it off and free dirty soapy water if you’d like to do my dishes.

There might even be some free mold in the basement! Yay for you!

1. Cassie
    November 3, 2009 5:10 pm

Wow. Seriously? I should have thought of that! I just mowed over ours yesterday. Damn. It could have been a gold mine!

2. Brother Anthony
    November 3, 2009 5:31 pm

In my head I read both the add and your post in voice of Ricky Gervais. (Just thought you’d want to know.)

3. Carly
    November 3, 2009 5:36 pm

Haha! I love those kind of CL :D “Will have more in a few weeks” hahahahah

4. L-A
    November 3, 2009 5:42 pm

that’s the funniest thing i’ve ever heard. i’m gonna have to google uses for “yard leaves.” You know, as opposed to street leaves or porch leaves.

5. Jake
    November 3, 2009 5:44 pm

In all fairness leaves make for good composting, and in the case of the oak, a nice acidic base for plants like blueberries. Those of us with a bit of a yard for composting but no trees to speak of benefit from adverts like this.

6. lilkirbs
    November 3, 2009 6:10 pm

that’s great! thinking the title..”come rake my leaves for free” didn’t have that winning marketing ring to it… there’s a sucker born every minute…and eventually, one will rake your leaves….

7. Sooska
    November 3, 2009 6:38 pm

well all I can say is you never ever know what other people will want. A former coworker of mine at a local engineering firm spent a long time wondering about the person(s) who was taking the dirty diapers out of his trash cans each week. Only the dirty diapers. Nothing else.

8. Monty
    November 3, 2009 9:00 pm

Jake — you sound fun.

9. Still A, Fan
    November 3, 2009 9:27 pm

jake is correct, though. the advert wasnt meant to be funny. my great uncles were both gardeners and they would take leaves and dump them on their gardens this time of year and then turn the soil to get the leaves into the ground. i’m kind of embarassed to know that, but when i started a small garden at my first house and did some reading on it, step one was usually to scope out your area in the fall that you would use, cover that area with leaves and then put a tarp over it for the winter. mmmmmmmmmmmmm, leaves and a bright aqua blue tarp. i miss western pa.

10. Pam
    November 3, 2009 9:43 pm

Yep, Jake is correct.

We’ve had people stop while we were raking our leaves and ask for them for their gardens.

11. bluzdude
    November 3, 2009 10:24 pm

Can’t fault the guy for taking a shot… Tom Sawyer lives!

12. Donncha
    November 3, 2009 11:39 pm

Folks, think it through: Tom Sawyer. Fence. Whitewash.

13. Pa-pop
    November 3, 2009 11:55 pm

Duh! What an inspired idea. And I’ve worked for three days in a row filling 54 flippin’ bags o’ leaves. Wait … I still got twenty sitting her for next week’s pick up. I can get rid of ’em NOW! South Hills – here I come!!

14. Clementine
    November 4, 2009 12:04 am

Free shrubs here! Get your free shrubs here!!***

***This offer does not include actual shrubs. Some pruning required. Raking and bagging mandatory. Minor injuries may occur. Bring your own shears (and bandages.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In other news, I was awake at some ungodly hour this weekend and saw a tv ad with Skippy and the hypnotist – and I was feeling sleepy, very sleepy. @@

15. chrys
    November 4, 2009 12:09 am

I have a relative that collected leaves from her neighbors years ago. She wanted to “write” a message to her then boyfriend with leaves on one of the slopes in South Park. This is how they were.. always trying to one up each other with the “romantic” gestures. I think she had a problem with the leaves blowing all around. LOL! I rememeber there were pics.. but I never saw them.

16. PG Wodehouse
    November 4, 2009 9:15 am

I always used to dread this time of year because my mother made me rake up the leaves in our yard and then bury them in her garden.

Also read in the PG today that a grand total of about 50,000 voters showed up yesterday. PAthetic. What is that – a 20% turnout?????

17. SpudMom
    November 4, 2009 9:24 am

I’m happy to donate my leaves to anyone who wants them. I have a huge maples and oaks on my property and I can never keep up with fall leaf clean up. In fact, I would like to know who decided that this was a job we all had to undertake.

18. butcher's dog
    November 4, 2009 10:09 am

Voter turnout at 20% means the other 80% can now please just sit down and shut up until further elections. You get what you get because you do what you do. If what you do is not vote, then duh.

19. Sofa King
    November 4, 2009 12:57 pm

Eh, voting schmoting. I voted for a 3rd party candidate in the Presidential election last year because both parties are worthless pieces of s**t, as were the candidates. Plus, I can endlessly bitch about the direction this country’s taking for hours on end no matter who’s in charge. I guess I could’ve compromised and dumbed myself down enough to believe in a catchy one-word slogan and nifty poster, but that’s just not me.

This year, I just saved myself a half-day off of work and the gas money.

20. Garden girl
    November 4, 2009 1:42 pm

When creating a new flower bed this fall, I paid the little neighbor boy to collect four garbage bags of leaves for me. Sadly, I don’t have any big trees.