Your morning LOL

First, let me state that the P-G does not pay me ONE SINGLE TINY CENT and never has.

So, remember this post way back when?  That post ignited a bit of an email fight between Dennis Roddy and me regarding, well, I’ll keep that between me and Dennis.

So at that time several years ago, I was all, “Holy crap, who is this uppity uppity journalist who wouldn’t know a sense of humor if it ran up to him and slammed a cream pie into his uppity face?”

Bloop bloop bloop to now and Dennis Roddy and I are regular email buddies and have been for some time now.  He shares stories with me about his family, his life, and his thoughts on everything from teachers to chili. You remember he wrote my “obituary” when I closed The Burgh Blog down.

Over the last few years, some of his private emails to me have been so eloquent and so perfect that I have often encouraged him to start a blog to give himself a slice of real estate to say the things he doesn’t get to say at the P-G.

Well, finally the P-G agrees with me because they gave Dennis his own blog on PG+ (pronounced [click] [clock] [cloak clock] in that clicky African language), and in addition to two excellent posts, Dennis’ first video is up, a send-up called Eve of Construction, about the construction nightmare in this city.  In it, this man who reminds me of the kind of person you might see muttering to a flock of sheep in Ireland or standing in front of a room of teenagers teaching them the finer points of Shakespeare, sings and dances and it is fall down funny.

Now, it’s on the Plus side, so I can’t link you over there unless you’ve subscribed, and if you haven’t, this video is worth the price of admission. Here’s a snippet of the lyrics and a few screen caps of my favorite parts.  Dennis wrote, filmed and produced this entire thing.

We’re 40 years on
and the Parkway’s still a project
You finally reach the Hilton
And you say ‘hey, what’s that object?’
The North Shore connector
Will soon reunite us
But for now it’s just a trench
And the cost came back to bite us

droddy1

droddy2

droddy3

droddy4

droddy5

The entire thing had me in tears, particularly Dennis’s line that I think we can all relate to: “If I could find a politician, I would punch him in the nose.”

I choose the Dread Lord.  Now you pick one.

November 3, 2009 10:34 am

I knew Dennis 25 years ago when we worked at the same place in Greensburg. I could have told you he’s a funny and very smart man. But you didn’t ask, so …

2. PG Wodehouse
    November 3, 2009 10:42 am

Now, Now, Ginny, you had your opportunity with the Dread Lord and no blood flowed. : )

3. Virginia
    November 3, 2009 10:43 am

That’s true. Next time … TO THE MOON!

4. butcher's dog
    November 3, 2009 11:11 am

Awwww….next time!!!! Right!!

Go vote, people. Like, now. For all its flaws we have one of the truly beautiful systems in the history of the world for choosing and, if necessary, replacing our civic leaders. Just check the news for what’s going on in other countries to be reminded of how blessed we are. Plus, if you don’t vote you just get the big STFU when you want to complain about anything until the next election.

OK. I’m better now.

5. PG Wodehouse
    November 3, 2009 11:31 am

Perhaps it was the pitchfork wielding minions which stayed your hand.

6. Sooska
    November 3, 2009 11:32 am

HAHA! That is one funny piece but if it’s the Eve, then what happens the next day?? Loved the chorus line.
    Up to the point when they brought on Dennis I was really wondering why I bought into PeeGeePahluss.

7. Carpetbagger
    November 3, 2009 12:25 pm

When I was a kid I was always leaving half-finished projects to start something else. Seems like Pittsburgh needs a little adult supervision, or some medication for our ADD construction tendencies. Forget the trench and the hotel, let’s start on that train from L’ville to Hazelwood!! Oooo, shiny trains!

And Butcher’s Dog is right… go vote, just to let them know we’re watching.

8. Amy
    November 3, 2009 12:41 pm

Speaking of construction: has anyone driven by what will be the new hockey arena? Last time I was there (a few weeks ago), the jersey barriers and fences were all made up and it was really cool! Traffic cones made into planters, reflectors made into flower shapes on the fences, green hoses curled in designs to look like fancy iron gates… Maybe if they did this with all construction, we’d be happier about it (or madder about it since I’m sure it would take another drink tax).

November 3, 2009 1:41 pm

good stuff. though, yeah, background dancers are needed. perhaps the girls from that minnesota vikings video could make the trip down………

10. Mike
    November 3, 2009 4:15 pm

Thanks mostly to your ringing endorsements, I finally signed up for PG+ (I’m not sure how to pronounce it, can you help?), I’m liking it so far, although I’ll be more interested to poke around while I’m at a computer with sound. I should have signed up long before now, mostly becasue it is how I can support local journalism without a print subscription (and besides, I already ready the site for the news anyway). Thanks!

11. Bram R
    November 3, 2009 4:35 pm

“That last screencap there, all Dennis needs are some scantily clad background girls with wads of cash in their clevage and he’s a veritable rap star.”

Oh, there’s a Blingee on the way, fer sure.

12. Bobbo
    November 3, 2009 6:40 pm

Him having a blog might be the reason I sign up for the PG+ [pronounced Bippity-Boppity-Boo].

13. Katie
    November 4, 2009 12:51 am

That clickety African language is Xhosa. …just in case you were wondering… I think the X in the name is a clicky sound too…