- November 5, 2009
- filed under Ben Roethlisberger, Downtown happenings, Mayor Ravenstahl, Pirates, Steelers
1. Several readers have written, asking why I haven’t commented on Lukey winning the Mayoral race. Well, because then I might as well comment on the sun rising, the wind blowing, the pigeons pooping and whipping ninja stars at me. These things are inevitable. We knew Lukey was going to win.
Now, had Lukey lost, you can be darn sure you would have come here yesterday and there would have been a post that basically went like this:
All together now!
“Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah Hallelujah Hallelujah
For the Lord God omnipotent reigneth
Hallelujah Hallelujah Hallelujah Hallelujah”
“For the Lord God omnipotent reigneth
Hallelujah Hallelujah Hallelujah Hallelujah!”
You would have then witnessed a handful of black and gold confetti bursting out of your computer monitor, showering you with joy.
But Lukey won. Like we knew he would. And my love of Pittsburgh mandates that I wish him luck and I hope with all of my soul that he does good things for my city.
2. This might be one of the best Jack Lambert posts I’ve ever read. Also, that crotch-chop picture still makes me [blech].
3. Jay-Z is coming to Mellon Arena! So, let’s take bets on how long it takes for those tickets to sell out. I’ll put $20 on 12 minutes.
4. The new Mister Rogers statue was unveiled today at his new home on the North Shore in a park called “Tribute to Children” and I already know I’ll get teary-eyed when I see it in person. I mean, he’s sitting there in Pittsburgh. Looking at the river, at his city. And he’s just smiling and tying his shoes. That’s exactly as it should be.
You can tour the Neighborhood of Make Believe this weekend and this weekend only.
5. I rarely watch baseball this late in the year, but married to a die-hard Yankees fan ( I KNOW! Ick.) I’ve been forced to watch a few games of this World Series and I swear to you, we have had several conversations that went like this:
Me: Wait. The Yankees have Derek Jeter AND A-Rod?! Wait. AND Posada?! I have heard of ALL of these guys and I can’t name three Pirates.
Me: Look at all the people freaking out and standing up. Can you imagine how demonic and nuts I’d be if the Pirates were ever in the World Series?
Husband: [blink] HAHAHAHAH!
Me: Derek Jeter has won FIVE World Series championships??!! What would it take for the Pirates to get Derek Jeter?
Husband: [blink] [blink] HAHAHAHAH!
This glimpse into our marriage has been brought to you by the Buccos of Suckitude who have made us a laughingstock to Yankees fans.
6. And finally, while driving to Oakmont the other day [SPARKLE SPARKLE SPARKLE!], my mother, my sister and I spotted this van on the Turnpike.
I’m going to buy a case of this for my Dad, who is a minister I remind you, just so this can happen:
Mom: Honey, can I get you anything?
Dad: Yeah, I’m busy writing my sermon. Could you pop me open a can of Whoop Ass?