Epic PG Fail

(Update:  I had a little joke written in here about placeholder text, but I’m going to take it out.  I don’t want readers thinking I’m making light of the article.  I’m not.  I was treating this as two very separate things.  I’m giving the PG the understanding that the mistake has nothing to do with the article and therefore, I’m not going to beat them over the head that they made this mistake on this particular article.  The mistake is funny.  The article is sad.)

From today’s Fail Blog comes an image out of the November 5 edition of the Post-Gazette:

epic-fail-newspaper-fail

That’s funny.  And sad.

Aside from the funny of it, note the article is about Sgt. Wieger.  Sgt. Wieger was a member of my church before he was killed in Iraq and he was heavily on my mind yesterday.  It’s especially sad the P-G let this oversight happen on this particular article.

(h/t jennviolet)

1. CrashJK
    November 12, 2009 10:11 am

I believe the use of option #5 would sell more papers…I’m just saying…at least for me it would…ymmv….oh,
    save the tatas !

November 12, 2009 10:19 am

Hopefully you just got an early edition and they fixed that later. Don’t know how many editions the PG prints anymore, but I’ve worked places that did as many as four. A lot of mistakes get in those early ones (the ones that get shipped out to the hinterlands, like Irwin) as they’re busted out in a big damn hurry.

Yes, I’m an apologist, because I’ve made my share of boneheaded mistakes in print (and seen even worse).

Yes, I’d endorse more titties, ta-tas and especially boobies in my paper too (unless they’re Reg Henry’s or Brian O’Neill’s). That’s what Page 3 girls are for in Britain.

3. kimly
    November 12, 2009 10:30 am

I don’t think this is at all funny, but will become more and more common as newsoaoers slash staff and try to get away with doing more with less. Really sad.

4. Norm
    November 12, 2009 10:33 am

Your next job should totally be placeholder copy writer.

5. Matt
    November 12, 2009 10:35 am

I can only hope Sgt. Wieger’s dad has a charitably ironic sense of humor about such an appalling screw up. All I can see is inadvertantly trivialized heroism. Thank you for bringing this to public attention, and thank you for your service and sacrifice, Sgt. Wieger.

6. Allyson is Not My Mentor
    November 12, 2009 10:37 am

Sorry about the death of Sgt. Wieger. :( God Bless our veterans and those currently serving.

7. plexxer
    November 12, 2009 10:37 am

Have you ever read the South section? Blah blah blah is a pretty accurate summation of about 90% of the content.

8. chris t
    November 12, 2009 10:42 am

Remember way back when newspapers used to have editors? Good times, good times.

November 12, 2009 11:18 am

does pee gee plusssss orhoweverit’spronounced offer blah blah blah blah?

10. Carpetbagger
    November 12, 2009 11:35 am

I agree with plexxer. A lot of the sections have gone to blah-blah-blah since they cut their writing staff. And I thought the extra quarter was going to take care of things like this!

11. jennviolet
    November 12, 2009 12:01 pm

This is why you’re so important Virginia. I knew this upset me but I didn’t exactly know why or how to put it in words. You do that for me and for all of us burghers who only dream of doing what you do. Thank you.

12. chrys
    November 12, 2009 1:06 pm

This just makes me sad. :( It explains a lot about why the newspaper is failing. That story is heart breaking, what the PG did was thoughtless. What can we expect from a paper that claims they are not “endorsing” Lukey, but states that “the clear choice” is Mayor Lukey??

We cancelled our subscription months ago, and I can honestly say I don’t miss it. blaahhh..

Also.. I say we should show our Vets and our troops, home and abroad, the respect they deserve everyday!! You don’t have to agree with the war, but you can damn well support what these men and women are doing.

~climbing down from my soapbox now~

13. Three
    November 12, 2009 3:27 pm

Hence why I personally never use placeholders (or Greek text) with words that spellcheck won’t catch.

14. Steelman
    November 12, 2009 8:50 pm

I hope it was an oversight and not some A-Hole who doesn’t appreciate the sacrifice made by all of those in the military. If it wasn’t for the military, there would be no free press.

15. Summer
    November 12, 2009 10:59 pm

Undoubtedly a very unfortunate mistake; newspapers have been letting a lot of blood with firings, and when you have less eyes, these things happen, but the publishers won’t care if one person is doing two people’s work badly, as long as the bottom line is solid.