Random n’at.

troyfallon

1.  Here’s a homemaking tip.  Don’t get a shot glass stuck in your garbage disposal.  It will break the shot glass and no matter how much of the glass you pull out with some $13 kitchen tongs, your garbage disposal will be destroyed.

I am the next Martha Stewart.

Also, honey, please buy a new garbage disposal on your way home.

Srsly and KTHXBAI.

2.  Yesterday while reading the newspaper, I said aloud, “Oh, that’s screwed up.  Srsly [pronounced surs-lee].”

And my son said, “Mom. What does ‘srsly’ mean?”

Whoops.  Got to stop the silly talk around the kid lest he go to school all, “And I was all, ‘I mean srsly, you suck and that’s church. And DRINK! KTXHBAI.’ ”

3.  Know what’s sad?  Sending an email to a nonprofit saying, “I want to raise $10,000 for you so that you can give sick kids a gameroom,” and then not getting a reply back after two weeks.  On to plan Z to get the kids a gameroom.

4.  Speaking of kids, Burgh Baby is raising Christmas Crazy over at her site.  I gave and if you have a dollar or two to give so that she can buy toys for needy kids, please do.

5.  Speaking of kids, Lukey (hee) was selected by Time Magazine to be on a panel with people like Barbara Walters and Oprah’s Best Friend Gayle and Rudy Giuliani to select Time’s Person of the Year for 2009.

I bet he nominates Ben Roethlisberger.  Or Superman.

6.  So many of you have emailed, tweeted, or facebooked me asking if I’ve seen Pigeon: Impossible, and I have and I can’t even express to you how amazing it is. Especially the last few seconds.

I won’t ruin the ending for you other than to say KABLOOEY!

Take a look.

7.  The lower bar level of Las Velas will be opening for the first time on Light Up Night, November 20.  It will be a margarita bar with food offerings as well.  It is around the corner from the main Las Velas entrance and will be open until late night most nights.  Light Up Night is going to be a great night for Las Velas, as is November 28 when we’re holding a big after-Thanksgiving celebration complete with mariachis. Join us for dinner one or both of those nights.

8.  That’s right.  I’m using my blog to advertise my restaurant.  Suck it.

9.  Reader Amanda R. dressed as PittGirl for Halloween and her boyfriend went as Luke Ravenstahl.

yeahright

All that’s missing is pigeon guts on her do-me boot tips.

10.  New rule to the official rules of the Luke Ravenstahl Move Forward drinking game:

If Luke Ravenstahl and ONLY Luke Ravenstahl tweets the phrase “move forward” in any status update on his twitter account, drink three drinks and reply to him all, “@mayorluke I’m DRINKING!  Thanks, buddy!”

11.  That dirty bastard Troysus Polamalu was on Jimmy Fallon the other night, showing off his luscious hair, teaching tackling skills, and talking about his charity work.

What a dirty dirty man. I feel dirty just looking at him.

Whoa.  Where was I?

(h/t  Doug, Lauri, any others I missed)

11.  Finally, one of the best emails I’ve ever received:

I’ve been reading your thoughts about our fair city of Pittsburgh for several years now, and really missed your absence before That’s Church appeared.  I really look forward to your posts to help me feel closer to home.

So I’m in stuck in California, paying back four years to the military, because the Air Force paid for medical school. My husband and I knew we wanted to come back to Pittsburgh, but were exploring other options as well.  I just wanted to let you know that your column about your traveling adventure with your kids (I have two 2 year-olds so I can relate) and the kindness of our fellow Pittsburghers sealed the deal for us.  I  was in tears by the end, and the next day and I accepted a fellowship in Pittsburgh.  Can’t wait to get home!

THAT is what makes this blog worth my time.  That’s church.

1. MamaBear
    November 12, 2009 12:59 pm

I was wondering if Lukey would nominate his mom…I mean she did endorse him.

2. chrys
    November 12, 2009 1:17 pm

I was thinking maybe Mayor Lukey will nominate his alter ego.. “Mayor Luke Steelerstahl” You know he wants to.. because that was, like his best, like coolest idea EVER!!!

Can I just say he is a huge tool!! A huge “Steel city” tool!!

As for Las Velas.. I told my hubby he must take me there after this baby is born. Granted that won’t be till March, but I really want a margarita, so I can’t go and not drink one.. it would be too sad. :( lol!

3. Schuyler
    November 12, 2009 1:19 pm

How great that you were able to bring a ‘burgher back home! Super job – as always. Sorry about the garbage disposal! :-)

4. bluzdude
    November 12, 2009 1:21 pm

You would think that the glass would help grind stuff up even better…

5. spoon
    November 12, 2009 1:49 pm

That big green thing in the costuem pic looks like its hand are jammed down the front of its pants and is inspecting its McBeam

6. Bob M
    November 12, 2009 2:30 pm

Shot glass? Who uses a shot glass? Pour, one-thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three…
    sip
    enjoy
    repeat as needed

And two huge thumbs up for #11. You nailed the Burgh style, and brought another one home. Awesome is as awesome does.

7. Cassie
    November 12, 2009 2:35 pm

Been there with the shot glass debacle. My sympathies.

And can I just say how I love that story about bringing a Burgher home. We’re lifers whether we like it or not!

8. Carpetbagger
    November 12, 2009 2:39 pm

If Steely McBeam ends up with his big, yellow chin on Time magazine, I swear…

9. Jim
    November 12, 2009 3:53 pm

Suddenly I’m a January Jones fan. And I think the next episode of Pigeon:Impossible should be based on this – http://thatschurch.com/2009/09/04/im-not-making-this-up/ so I emailed the creator to let him know :)

10. John
    November 12, 2009 4:00 pm

That guy doesnt look like Luke…at all…

11. gunnlino
    November 12, 2009 5:19 pm

I just re-read the NBA rule book…. not a word about being smart.

12. Bojack
    November 12, 2009 6:56 pm

I used to go to “Garden on the Square” when Bobby Montinari had it!!

Drank in the lower bar when it was called
    THE MEN’S BAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good times!!!!! We were able to call a bar that then!!!

Now?? Sheesh!!!! The weenies would be afraid!!

Been in ABX, NM for 6 hours and have spotted a multitude of STEELER NATION’ERS already!!!!! WAHOOO!!!!!!!!

13. Bojack
    November 12, 2009 6:58 pm

PS- Good business tho! Women lush it up a lot more now!!!! LMAO :-)

14. Bojack
    November 12, 2009 6:59 pm

PSS- There was no confusion with Pegasus!! LOL

15. Sooska
    November 12, 2009 10:03 pm

1. wow. were you drinking?

3. Instead of helping the nonprofit directly (since they don’t seem to care) raise the money and give it to the Lemieux Foundation’s Playroom Project a wonderful and worthy cause that goes to playrooms for families of sick kids and the sick kids too.
    5. Yarone

11. no. words.

11(12) you mean 12. aw shucks. You go the POWAH Ginny!

16. Nicole
    November 12, 2009 11:52 pm

I’m happy for the lady that wrote that email, and jealous at the same time. My hubby and I are also stuck in California. Your Blog, Burgh Baby, the Steelers, and generally anything having to do with Pittsburgh, really makes my day and helps me get through living in this horrid place. Keep up the good work Ginny and congrats to the couple that are going home.

p.s. SoCal (Orange County) sucks ass and the weather isn’t as good as they say it is. So really people don’t even bother visiting and stab your children if they ever say they want to move here…

17. Larry
    November 13, 2009 1:19 am

by the way, speaking of pigeons in the media, I’m surprised no one mentioned “Flash Forward” from last week — they showed a pigeon hitting a window and buying it, including a shot of it laying there, waiting to meet Beelzebub. (Well, later in the show, they put up tape, hoping to keep that from happening in six months, but there’s always hope that the future can’t be changed…)

Just surprised I didn’t see it mentioned here, that’s all!

18. Virginia
    November 13, 2009 8:44 am

5. Spoon

HAH! Now that’s ALL I SEE.

Awesome.

19. Pingback: Troysus « Hollidaysburke

November 13, 2009 10:07 am

only you would see that, spoon…..

21. red pen mama
    November 13, 2009 10:09 am

I just want to touch Troy’s hair. Is that so wrong?

rpm

November 13, 2009 10:16 am

*raises glass of Great Lakes Christmas Ale to spoon*

Good call, sir! Well played!

*drinks up, pours another*

23. Marc
    November 14, 2009 12:03 am

Re: # 3, who did you email? I work at Children’s and I’ll make sure whoever ignored you is transfered back to our old place in Oakland. You have my email, send me a message and we can work it out. We’re grateful that you tried to help us win the contest and since that didn’t work out, we’re grateful that you’re trying to come up with plan Z. We do care.

24. Moody
    November 15, 2009 9:30 pm

All I can say is that effin Jimmy Fallon and talkin of the curse

25. Goodbuygirl
    November 22, 2009 9:23 am

Please add KTHXBAI to the Lexicon for us newcomers…