Random n’at

1.  I don’t know who kidnapped Old Pittsburgh November and replaced it with This Pittsburgh November, but that kidnapper can go ahead and torture Old Pittsburgh November and chop it up and bury its remains scattered across the mountainside and I won’t say a word to Mother Nature about it because I approve of This Pittsburgh November and it can stay New Pittsburgh November forever.

2.  As you know, Lukey served on a panel that debated who should be Time Magazine’s Person of the Year for 2009.

Let me repeat that. Time Magazine’s Person of the Year.

The New York Post says:

The front-runners for Time’s “Person of the Year” award appear to be Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke — and Twitter. At Thursday’s annual debate leading up to the announcement, panelist and 2001 winner Rudy Giuliani nominated Bernanke, and also said he’d start using Twitter, even though he doesn’t even use e- mail. “Top Chef” judge Tom Colicchio also went with Ber nanke, though Gayle King and Barbara Walters both opted for the micro-blogging service. The choice of Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravensthal (sic), on the other hand, was more political: the unemployed worker.

Um, dear Rudy, Gayle, and Babwa: Twitter, in all its awesome tweety gloriousness, is not, in fact, wait for it … a person.

Nominating and electing Twitter as Person of the Year is like choosing Taylor Swift as Zoo Animal of the Year or choosing a green apple as baseball’s Rookie of the Year or choosing the Roberto Clemente Bridge as Playmate of the Year.

Gawd.

Celebrities really are stupid.  Bravo to Lukey for having the ONLY semi-decent suggestion.

(h/t Dawn)

3. The tuition tax was kicked in the donkey omelets by the ICA and for now, Lukey cannot use it to balance the budget.

This is me, high-fiving you.

Let’s hope it dies in the courts.

4.  Sidney Crosby is filming a commercial tomorrow in Pittsburgh and Nancy Mosser casting was looking for bunches of paid extras.  I don’t know if they’re still looking, but if you’re interested, email mosserextras@gmail.com.

Somewhere, my sister Pens Fan just plopped her baby in the crib and ran to email Nancy.

5.  Reader Laura visited New York City recently and sent me back some Burgh love.

Spotted in front of FAO Schwartz:

15340_721312362314_23301725_41439149_5402476_n

Spotted all over town courtesy of the NHL store:

15340_721312432174_23301725_41439162_3906750_n

And spotted in Little Italy:

15340_721312487064_23301725_41439172_2942231_n

Respect the Parking Chair, yo.

6.  Bengals fans burned the Terrible Towel.

YouTube Preview Image

And the soul of Myron Cope shrieks, “Curse them!”

(h/t Mikey and Big Bob from their site)

November 18, 2009 1:19 pm

1) this is the weather that we got screwed out of in oct.

so, does this mean we’ll be getting the 2 foot dumpings of snow in -20 degree weather in march instead of the usual february?

2. bluzdude
    November 18, 2009 1:27 pm

The video just confirmed to me that the Bengals will execute their customary late-season implosion. Although, I do make room for the notion that because this burning was done by fans and not players, the bad mojo may be visited on said fans. By making them witness the customary late-season implosion.

3. facie
    November 18, 2009 1:27 pm

I wonder if the curse pertains to fans. I hope so.

4. Annie
    November 18, 2009 1:29 pm

I hope This Pittsburgh November stays through Thanksgiving so that I can enjoy it when I come home!

5. Ed
    November 18, 2009 1:29 pm

I think that Universities ought to pay something to the City. Sure, they have their own security an’ n’at, and sure students are only around eight months out of the year. Students are pretty stupid as a group, though, and over use ambulances and fire trucks. So at least that $52 thing for them. Call it a drunken falling out of window fee (oh, is that in bad taste?).

The thing that is missing is Pittsburgh tapping that “excess revenue” that Highmark and UPMC have. Levy a fee on rejected claims, or calls to customer service because a subscriber doesn’t understand an EOB. Levy a fee on gold plated bathroom fixtures or the wood paneling on the top floors in Fifth Avenue Place. Something. Share the pain, with those who can most afford it.

Meanwhile, I can’t believe I agree that Ravenstahl’s suggestion for Person of the Year was pretty good.

6. pghgeorge
    November 18, 2009 1:30 pm

Those Bengals fans just sealed their fate. Do people not learn?

If I were on the POTY Panel, I would chose my phone; or maybe Swiffer dust-mops, they’re awesome.

This time last year, it was snowing.

7. Jake
    November 18, 2009 1:30 pm

They gots themselves some nice looking parking chairs up there in New York City… Most of us here are still using them there plastic versions.

8. Virginia
    November 18, 2009 1:32 pm

Jake, I thought the same thing. I was all, “Swanky!”

9. Sooska
    November 18, 2009 1:51 pm

1. uhoh clouds. drat.

2. good idea from Yarone Zober.

3. Lukey’s rant to the ICA was childish since it accused them if collusion or being influenced by friend in high places. pot? kettle?

the tax would merely be the City taking money from students bank accounts “fat” with money borrowed from the federal tax dollars. money laundering. hello. also, students also pay taxes on the income they earn on their minimum wage job. taxing the students is stupid. a bad idea.

4. better yet, the actors had better be defensemen. or act like one. since we lost another.

10. red pen mama
    November 18, 2009 1:51 pm

2. For the record, the computer was Time’s person of the year… some time in the ’80s I think. I’d have to look it up, and I’m too… busy. yeah.

3. YAY!

6. Goodie. That means we’ll definitely beat them in the playoffs again. Don’t these people learn?

ciao,
    rpm

11. Becky
    November 18, 2009 1:51 pm

Nice chairs…although they probably have to do the nicer ones…they pack a more powerful punch if it comes down to swinging the chair to defend your space…..

12. Clementine
    November 18, 2009 1:54 pm

Weather Boy Jeff Verszyla tells me that December will be colder than normal, and we’ll have double the average snowfall in February. Yes, he speaks directly to me. Through my tee-vee.

And now we know why “mayorluke” tweets – he wants to be cool like Gayle King and Barbara WaWa. If Lukey gets on Oprah, he better whip out the Towel. Represent!!

13. Zack
    November 18, 2009 2:01 pm

The Steelers/Penguins/ Pirates (oh, who am I kidding) phenomena is awesome. I was in Seattle and even there, people had some sort of Pittsburgh apparel on.

Although, many people are still bitter about the Seahawks loss 3 years ago…

14. Pensfan
    November 18, 2009 2:31 pm

Sidney Crosby commercial ? They have a game in Ottawa tomorrow night…

15. Carpetbagger
    November 18, 2009 2:39 pm

2. Somewhere, Luke is going, “Oh yeah, I nominate Taylor Swift. I forgot her. She’s awesome. Yeah, that or the unemployed dealy.”

And by the way, the mating Rhinos would SO win Zoo Animal of the Year.

5. Going to NYC myself this weekend. Anyone know a good Steeler bar in Manhattan for a Sunday afternoon?

6. Uh, Bengal fans, have you heard of the Tennessee Titans, who are just now getting off the schneid after merely stepping on the towel last year? Oh, was that Cedric Benson who just tweaked his hip? Beware, Carson. Beware!

16. Bojack
    November 18, 2009 2:52 pm

a) LMAO @ Carpetbagger

b) Those chairs wouldn’t last 5 mins in my neighborhood!! They must have a door man watching them!! :-)

17. mike
    November 18, 2009 2:53 pm

Isn’t it funny about how guilty we all feel because we have nice weather, like we don’t deserve it. THAT is what makes us from Pittsburgh !!

What do the worry about in Florida?

I am stocking up on TP and milk because February is going to be a biotch!

18. kelli
    November 18, 2009 3:19 pm

The best part about Luke being on the committee to chose the person of the year? He can’t be the person of the year.

Also, the Cincy fans burning the towel reminded me of a thought I had the other day – we ought to have a chat with Detroit. Since we already played them – and nearly lost, until their mascot pretended to eat the Towel – but Cincy still has to play them, perhaps we should work out some kind of forgiveness of the mascot, so Detroit can beat Cincy. I think losing to Detroit would be just the mind-eff to start the Cincy implosion.

Can some set up a sit-down between the Allegheny Valley School and the giant fuzzy Lion mascot before Week 13?

19. cmd_45
    November 18, 2009 3:22 pm

Can we say “Bengals Lose out the rest of the season” And wouldn’t a Bengals loss to the Browns be perfect?

20. gunnlino
    November 18, 2009 4:01 pm

Lukey ? On the advisory board ? How’d that happen ? Besides unemployed worker , what a dolt… how about the returning military man/woman…. hows Sullenberger strike you… maybe the firefighters in California. The unemployed worker ! Geez.

BTW those chairs would be on some ones porch in my neighborhood in three minutes.

21. Monty
    November 18, 2009 4:03 pm

Carpetbagger — I’m partial to the Ship of Fools, Upper East Side.

22. Dan (Not Onarato)
    November 18, 2009 4:09 pm

Gunn- I kinda like the CA Firefighters idea…they have fires out there every year it seems like and they never get any props..

23. aDerek
    November 18, 2009 4:10 pm

@Carpetbagger: A list of Steelers-themed and Steeler-fan friendly bars in NY state http://www.post-gazette.com/steelernation/steelerbars_list.asp#New%20York
    My husband watched a game at Reservoir in Universiity Place last year and was joined by many Steelers-clad fans, so he recommends it.

24. Pa-pop
    November 18, 2009 4:12 pm

To those alleged humans in Cincinnati, I offer these abridged words of the Deteriorata:

You are a fluke of the universe.
    You have no right to be here.
    And whether you can hear it or not,
    Myr’n is laughing behind your back.

And now we wait.

25. parkingchair
    November 18, 2009 4:46 pm

Yo, indeed. Yo, indeed.

26. bluzdude
    November 18, 2009 4:57 pm

Kudos to Pa-pop for breaking out “The Deteriorata”.

“Go placidly admid the noise and waste…”

Yep, that sounds like Bengals fans.

27. MN
    November 18, 2009 4:58 pm

The only thing that STINKS about Pittsburgh is the weather….but not the way most of you natives think. There is NO SUN here…today was supposed to be sunny…where was the sun? I’ll take -30, just GIVE ME SOME SUN! (On my way to my Seasonal Affective Disorder counseling session now! :)

At least in places where you have real winter, you also get sun to go with the frozen tundra!

28. Mayor Luke Doggy Dogg
    November 18, 2009 6:05 pm

Don’t worry bout that not gettin’ passed, Ginny Ginn…

Luke Doggy Dogg and tha Dogg Pound (Zober as DJ Salty Nutz and Pferdehirt as Dr. Tuition Tax) got somethin’ fo tha state and council’s ass!

We gonna roll deep up in state court and say “Bow-wow-wow-yippie-yo-yippie-yay! Maya’ Luke Doggy Dogg and tha Dogg Pound iz up in dis beyatch! We gonna tax all dem student’s in they ass!”

29. GoBobbo
    November 18, 2009 11:46 pm

I can’t even click the towel video or I’ll get all stabby and want to choke-a-bitch.

30. Magus Patris
    November 19, 2009 9:30 am

Here’s the funny thing about the towel burning video. Did you notice that by the time they ended the video, the towel was STILL in one piece and you can STILL CLEARLY see the words THE TERRIBLE TOWEL on it? I think they ended the video because their next comment was, “Oh shit! It’s still in one piece! Good God, what curse have we wrought on our shitty team!”, or something like that. Those towels can’t be destroyed. It was merely singed.

My parents’ had a bar and we hung a terrible towel up on the wall in the mid 70’s. They finally took it down to replace it with a new one in the early 90’s. That towel was stiff as a board, smelled like cigarettes and left a shadow on the wall behind it, but IT WAS STILL IN ONE PIECE! The Towel is immortal!

31. lovesthenorthside
    November 19, 2009 9:55 am

i wonder if whoever kidnapped pittsburgh november would mind taking pittsburgh march too?

32. Norm
    November 19, 2009 10:06 am

looks like like Cinci just clinched a 0-X record for the rest of the season.

33. Vivian formerly NYLuvsPitts