Kindness really works!

So many things I’m going to try to get to today, if I can.  First of all, though, I wanted to thank those of you that reached out to Amy, the author of the heart-wrenching Callapitter blog.

You must go read her latest post and see that it really did make a difference and at a time when she most needed it!

A snippet:

I need to take a few moments to sincerely thank Ginny and everyone who has taken the time to read my blog, look at pictures of my kids and write a few kind words. You have absolutely no idea how much each comment, even the smallest ones, means to me and how much you have all helped me get out of my latest funk. When I truly did not have the strength or energy to cope another day, all of you “internet strangers” and “virtual friends” have carried me. Thank you, thank you, thank you to all of you!

Well done, Burghers.  Let’s keep Amy in our thoughts, let’s continue to visit her blog, and let’s continue to offer her encouragement especially as she nears her first Christmas without her children.

I heart you all.  And my gosh, I MEAN that.

1. ClumberKim
    November 20, 2009 10:20 am

Last time I was at Square Cafe on Braddock in Regent Square one could donate to the playground fund for Amy.

2. CrashJK
    November 20, 2009 10:22 am

You rawk Ginny…thanks for bringing these “slices of real life” to us. Yeah, I’m a big guy and I cried reading her blog….

3. bigslacker
    November 20, 2009 11:00 am

it’s refreshing to see you using the power of your forum for good and worthy causes. It helps to restore my faith that there are good folks out there doing good stuff. thanks.

4. chrys
    November 20, 2009 3:38 pm

Amy is truly amazing. Thank you for directing us to her blog. She is certainly inspiring.

5. Summer
    November 20, 2009 5:49 pm

Do you have any information to share on how we can donate money/time/skills to getting Kate and Peter’s park up and running?

6. Casey
    November 20, 2009 7:24 pm

I was going to ask the same thing as Summer. Any information you could get for us would be great! Thanks for directing us to her blog.

7. Erin
    November 21, 2009 2:15 pm

There is a group with more information on Facebook:

About
    Amy Ambrusko, Kate and Peter’s mother, wrote the following about the cause:

Kate started first grade this year at the Environmental Charter School at Frick Park, which is a brand new school that opened last August. It’s an amazing school that she was excited to go to every day and couldn’t stop talking about every night. She had so many wonderful experiences there and loved her friends and her teachers (she even got to take a weekly yoga class!). Peter also loved being at the school and was looking forward to starting Kindergarten there in the fall. I cannot even describe how much I have loved being a part of that wonderful school and community.

The school is located in a huge park, but does not have its own playground yet.

Both Peter and Kate have been asking me to build them a treehouse for the past few months. I promised them that someday I would, but unfortunately didn’t have the opportunity. I would love to build a playground (which could include some sort of treehouse) in their memory at the school. I know it would make them happy and honor their playful spirits! If anyone is interested in helping, I ask that a donation be made in lieu of cards or flowers.

Make checks payable to:
    Kate and Peter Ambrusko Memorial Fund

Mail checks to:
    The Environmental Charter School at Frick Park
    Attn: Mr. Jon McCann, Principal
    829 Milton Street
    Pittsburgh, PA 15218

8. Friend
    November 21, 2009 5:22 pm

To Ginny and to all the Burghers,
    Thank you so much for the posts on Amy’s Blog. She is a dear friend of mine. The outreach to her is incredible and I just want to say THANK YOU! It helps all of us heal and more important it helps Amy. She is the most incredible person I have ever met. Since the first day our children played together it began an amazing friendship. So thank you thank you thank you for your posts. You are all a Blessing!

9. break
    November 22, 2009 6:17 pm

I wonder where her ex is at. I mean, he didn’t mean to harm, did he?
    It must be even harder on him than her, me thinks.

10. Virginia
    November 22, 2009 7:13 pm

Break, not even a question for us to ask.

We’re not in any position to determine who has a greater grief. Grief is grief. Not a contest to be won.

We’re reaching out and supporting a local mother and that’s all we’re doing. Let’s not pry further into their personal lives, particularly at a time when they grieve.

It’s unnecessary.