While you’re waiting.

While we were on our way to a meeting this afternoon and shortly after discussing which local celebrities we would try to get to show up at the fundraiser this weekend, this happened:

Me: It’s supposed to be cold this weekend.  Like a high of 40 at most.  I guess we deserve it though for the awesome November we’ve had.  Can’t avoid winter forever.

Pens Fan: Yeah. But if you think about it, winter is already almost over.

Me: Um. Winter hasn’t even STARTED.

Pens Fan: But think, this week is Thanksgiving and before we know it, it will be Christmas and New Years and then playoff football. Then we just need to get through a few weeks in February and then March is like so-so and then it’s April.  Winter, you see, is already almost over. [blink] [blink]

Me: Wow. You are a HELL of an optimist.

Speaking of winter, while you’re waiting for What They’re Really Thinking, which will be posted tonight and which will involve “hos” of some sort, why not go read my latest column at Pittsburgh Magazine, this one which will appear in December’s edition. It’s all about surviving winter here in Pittsburgh.

‘Tis the Season!

And also, that illustration they made of me?  Don’t ever let it be said I can’t laugh at myself.

1. Jim
    November 23, 2009 3:59 pm

The Illustrated Pittgirl looks like she should be dating the Burger King. Just sayin…

2. Lauren
    November 23, 2009 4:09 pm

As someone that has lived and will soon again live in Arizona, I can’t help but giggle. I was like your mom, Ginny, except I started banging on the window and screaming “WHY?!?!!” around Thanksgiving : ) And oh, it does snow in AZ, it just melts in a few hours so you don’t have to drive in it. And there’s a mountain in Tucson where not only does the snow stick but there’s a ski resort. 45 minute drive up or so. Winter is one of the few things I don’t miss about Pittsburgh.

3. Jessica
    November 23, 2009 4:15 pm

LOL – OMG I could totally look at it this way. Super Bowl, then Pens non-stop, and all of a sudden, BAM it’s June!

I tweeted you about the troll. Delete and move on. You are doing an awesome thing. My hubby (who has been reading your blog for years) and I are going to come to the resturant and we can’t wait! Margaritas are my friend.

4. Jagoff
    November 23, 2009 4:19 pm

No rants or raves, eh?

5. pgh fan in phx
    November 23, 2009 4:33 pm

I live in AZ, and it’s still 78 here (I’m not rubbing it in – it was 90 a couple weeks ago, which is just disgusting past October). It’s Thanksgiving and Christmas, and we’re wearing shorts to go outside and heavy sweaters to go inside because the idiot shopping/dining/etc. establishment owners keep the A/C on 60 until January. I’d rather be cold any day than hot – at least I can put ON clothes! And I miss sledding. And snowball fights. And grass and trees, but that’s another post entirely.. lol

6. Jcubed03
    November 23, 2009 4:34 pm

Loved the column! Laughed out loud at several items. I have nearly killed myself on many a sled riding adventure and can’t wait to share that with my kids.

7. Beatrice
    November 23, 2009 4:38 pm

I feel the same way about Pittsburgh winters. Love ’em! Great column Ginny.

8. lilkirbs
    November 23, 2009 4:39 pm

you’re totally right about the lunch tray sleds…i remember my older brother taking trips down the hill behind Tartan Hall at CMU..wicked fun!

9. Clair
    November 23, 2009 4:44 pm

Grew up in the Burgh. Moved to AZ when I got engaged. Mourned winter for a bit, but learned it does snow in Tucson. Not only in December, but on Easter in April. I have photo proof LOL. Those folks don’t know what to do. Yeah sure it was 10+ years ago when I experienced it…but lemme tell ya, it snowed in Tucson last winter before it ever snowed here in northern Virginia (at least at the foot of the mountains…not so much in town proper but still!!). My kids and I were jealous. I am patiently waiting for a huge snowstorm, one where we get 24 inches or so…so my hubby, born and raised in Tucson and says “oh I love the snow, it is not that bad” can be forced to shovel 24+ inches of snow and deal with the consequences!!
    Secretly…I don’t mind the snow as long as I don’t have to drive in it. I was happy when we moved back east 5+ years ago. I love watching the kids have fun in the snow. :)

10. Schuyler
    November 23, 2009 5:34 pm

Awesome article! And like others, I laughed out loud many times – especially at the sledding section! I vividly remember sledding at North Park about 3 years ago when my (then) 7-year-old was heading for a big pile of trees … my husband grabbed his foot at the last minute to stop him, but the brush burn from the snow (and the quick stop!) made his face bleed. We laugh now, but ….. Ah, happy times!! :-)

11. Pensgirl
    November 23, 2009 5:55 pm

Your mother and my mother would be fast friends. I think if it were possible to fistfight concepts, she would choose to fight Winter. She would go into a frenzy and beat it to a slushy pulp ala Ralphie in “A Christmas Story.”

I hate ice and freezing rain, but if I don’t have to shovel it I really don’t mind snow, and I find that first step out into the cold rather exhilarating as the air touches your face and fills your lungs. But I don’t want to be out in it for any real length of time.

12. Kim Z
    November 23, 2009 5:55 pm

I love winter in Pittsburgh because it really shows the generosity and teamwork of which Pittsburghers are capable. Every morning on my street total strangers would salt and dig and push each others’ cars out of the snow. It would have been nice if the street got plowed a bit better, but the massive snowdrifts on top of month-old ice did bring out the best in people!

13. eileen
    November 23, 2009 6:01 pm

I love winter. And your right, cafeteria trays make the best sleds.

I survived four years of college in Erie. So Pittsburgh winter’s are just a cold walk in the park.
    The snowdrifts were so high in front of our college apartment we used to jump out a third floor window into snow drifts.
    One time my friend’s brother was visiting and was sleeping on our sofa.
    Our apt. had the highest drifts so people would come over just to jump out the window.
    When I asked our guest how he slept, he said fine but had a weird dream that people were jumping out our window.
    I looked at him with a straight face and said “Really?” Then told him I was going to the store and turned and jumped out the window.

14. Clementine
    November 23, 2009 6:14 pm

For the love of god, their kicker’s name is Suck-Up!!

I tried to wait for What They’re Really Thinking. But I can’t.

I can’t wait. I can’t wait. I can’t wait.

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!! (fist in mouth, stifles cry of anguish)

Okay, I’ll wait. SIGH.

15. Sooska
    November 23, 2009 6:45 pm

I am Ginny’s Mother’s weather soul mate. I HATE a winter. My bones start to ache at 68 deg F and I shiver. The lack of sun begins a long slow slide right after Labor Day. I perk up in a flash in late April. November 2009 has been a blessing, but I fear the hidden vigorish that causes “average lows.” You know, the less snow and cold you have now the more you will have later. UGH.

16. richrovs
    November 23, 2009 7:05 pm

I have the fortune, good or bad, of working outside most winters. You actually made me look forward to it. Great article.

17. Etnaguy1958
    November 23, 2009 9:20 pm

Way go PittGirl. You’re making me wish I was back there again. You ever tried to sled ride in the flatlands of northeast Ohio? Yeah, I know, you wouldn’t be caught dead here. Well, I guess I’m in purgatory for the last 16 years. I’m a Pgh. Press exile and love reading your stuff about my beloved hometown. You guys don’t know how good you have it.

18. jmarie
    November 23, 2009 9:41 pm

I used to like Ginny until this article………..lol

Sorry none of the reasons you stated will keep me warm when i leave at 6am and am still on the road at 9am because of 2 inches of snow and a trip that should take 35 minutes has stretched into a lifetime as i watch cars bounce off each other on rt51 because people dont’ know how to drive in this city and the tunnels become harder to drive apparently. This all ends in my bosses saying about time you got here. grrrrrrrrrrr lol

Ok i still like Ginny’s blog but ick on her latest magazine article…………lol

19. Russell Dunkin
    November 23, 2009 10:35 pm

This is exactly like an episode of Seinfeld I always quote that makes my wife made. Something about Jerry trying to convince Elaine to do something or go on a date and he boils it down to the length of a cup of coffee!

November 24, 2009 1:08 am