Even more Burgh awesomeness for the kids!

ikea-logoPIT

First, Saturday is promising to be a ton of fun.  Lots of Burghers are planning to attend the Make Room for Kids kickoff at Las Velas from 6-9 this Saturday, including Mikey and Big Bob from KISS Morning Freak Show on 96.1, Tall Cathy from 96.1 provided no one books her for another event (NOBODY BOOK HER!), Jim Lokay from KDKA, Sally Wiggin!, representatives from the Mario Lemieux Foundation, and more as I continue to bother local celebs.

I’m looking at you, Matt Lamanna.

And at you, Ken Rice.

And at you, David Conrad.

I hope some of you readers can come out and have dinner or a few drinks with us!  Here’s the post if you missed what I’m talking about.

Now, BIG GIANT NEWS!

We are raising $10,000 for the game room, and thanks to IKEA-Pittsburgh, Mario Lemieux Foundation will not have to use ANY of that money to buy furniture!

Because it is run by amazing people, IKEA-Pittsburgh contacted me out of the blue and offered the following:

• Up to $5,000 in IKEA merchandise (furniture, artwork, rugs, tv consoles, etc.) to furnish the game room
  • Design services to create a fun, hip lounge feel
  • Delivery, assembly and installation services to complete the project
  • Host a fundraiser breakfast in their restaurant with proceeds going to MLF (more details on that at a future date)

Top Gun volleyball scene high-five and flip it down for a reverse low-five, Burghers!

I didn’t even have to ASK THEM!  That is how awesome they are.  They saw a way to help locally and they jumped at it.  The money is coming from their local in-kind charitable donations fund because helping children is their #1 philanthropic activity.

It is all coming together.  More details as I get them and more local celebs as I stalk them.

Oh! Is Charlie Batch traveling with the team this weekend in light of his surgery today?

If not, I’M ALSO LOOKING AT YOU, CHARLIE BATCH!

Also, if you happen to be in IKEA’s Pittsburgh location today, would you just like grab any employee you see and hug them for me?

1. Still A Fan
    November 25, 2009 2:12 pm

I would like a ticket to that MILF event….what?…its just MLF?….nevermind

2. Mayor Luke Doggy Dogg
    November 25, 2009 2:16 pm

Tall Cathy is so damn phyne!!! She makes tha Lukey Dogg want to collaborate with Saturday Night Live and Timberlake to make another bomb ass song just dedicated to her!!!

Now that I’m single, maybe she’ll halla’ at tha Pimpalicious Playa’ Maya’!

Call me girl…! Borrow them boots from Ginny!

3. Schuyler
    November 25, 2009 2:31 pm

I love that your awesome blog … that we all enjoy SO much … is able to do something this great for kids! Good for you, good for Ikea, good for everyone who is pitching in and helping! This will be WAY better than any gameroom we’d have won through a contest!! Thank you for putting so much time and effort into this – it will mean the world to the kids at Childrens!

4. Beatrice
    November 25, 2009 2:40 pm

Top Gun volleyball scene high-five indeed!

5. Carly
    November 25, 2009 2:40 pm

How awesome Ginny, you are an inspiration! I WISH I was local already so I could come to Las Velas and throw back a few hundred $5 margaritas on Saturday. Honestly, its almost serendipitous that we did NOT win the Make-A-Wish contest because this sounds like its going to be WAAAAAY BETTER!

6. Craig
    November 25, 2009 2:42 pm

I hear by nominate Ginny for Sainthood, the Nobel Price for Awesome Burgherness, Mayor, or whatever she’ll accept.

7. LisaC
    November 25, 2009 2:42 pm

AMAZING! I think you are going to majorly surpass your goal! Just out of curiosity, have you had contact with Children’s and do they have a spot for this awesome room you’re obviously succeeding at getting? (Which I imagine will be even better than they one you originally tried to help them win!)

I recently moved to the Harrisburg area and miss Pittsburgh much so I really enjoy keeping in touch through your blog – thanks so much!

8. Virginia
    November 25, 2009 2:48 pm

LisaC,

The room designation is being handled between UPMC and the Mario Lemieux Foundation who are both hard at work finding the perfect place for it. We should have solid details on what they’ve come up with by Wednesday of next week.

9. Heather
    November 25, 2009 3:18 pm

Ginny, you ROCK! Thank you for using your powers for good and not evil! I’m so proud to be a Pittsburgh lifer!

10. justme
    November 25, 2009 3:20 pm

Wow, Ginny! You make me wish I lived in Pittsburgh.

11. ScareHouse Scott
    November 25, 2009 3:36 pm

We’re neither cool nor celebs, but my wife and I will definitely be there Saturday night. Rawk.

12. TwinMamaTeb
    November 25, 2009 3:48 pm

wow. just wow. IKEA, you are an awesome burgher! And Ginny, I think firing you was a blessing in disguise. This. THIS is what you were meant to do!

13. bluzdude
    November 25, 2009 4:00 pm

The only downside to IKEA coming in and setting up is that they all sing the “Ooga Chacka” song (Hooked on a Feeling) while they’re doing it.

14. Bojack
    November 25, 2009 5:33 pm

Jury awards cancer doctor $3M in UPMC sexual discrimination case

Here’s another reason why UPMC doesn’t have 10K for kids!!!!!

15. Catherine
    November 25, 2009 7:03 pm

Last year, I danced at my university’s dance marathon to raise money for the North Carolina Children’s Hospital. Every email/letter/sign/anything said FTK – For The Kids – you could incorporate that into your advertising for your fundraiser!

Good luck!! You rock!!!! :)

16. Mikey
    November 25, 2009 7:55 pm

Can’t WAIT for Saturday!!!!

Margaritas and SALLY WIGGIN = Best…Saturday….EVER!

Thanks for everything you do Ginny, Yay for Ikea!

17. GoBobbo
    November 25, 2009 9:33 pm

IKEA rocks a lot more now. They already get a ton of my money, but this means I cherish them even more!!

And Ginny, introduce me to Sally since Lokay won’t! :)

18. Megan
    November 26, 2009 7:54 am

This is such an awesome, awesome thing you’re doing. You rock, Ginny.

My friends and I will be there with bells on Saturday (not literally, of course. Unless you really want us to wear bells. Then we will).

Though, no $5 margaritas for us, considering none of us are 21 yet. Yeah, yeah. Go ahead and laugh :)

November 26, 2009 10:24 am

Wow. There IS a Santa Claus.

20. Pingback: Pittsburgh Girlie » Happy Thanksgiving

21. YayaLaura
    November 27, 2009 10:12 pm

Ginny,

If we can’t make it tomorrow night, is there a way we can donate to this fantastic endeavor? Tomorrow is the last night of my mother’s visit from Texas and I don’t know what we are going to be doing but my husband and I want to be apart of this.

22. Virginia
    November 27, 2009 10:14 pm

Just come back to visit my blog on Monday and you’ll be able to donate directly into the Mario Lemieux Foundation’s Make Room for Kids fund via PayPal.

23. Cassie
    November 28, 2009 9:24 am

So excited for this! The kids are so deserving! I’m already a HUGE Ikea fan, however, now my love for them has increased even more. I’m SO HAPPY for this situation! Ginny, you are a true inspiration. Those kids will look up to you for sure.

24. Pingback: ikea…the happiest place on earth « Sisters From Different Misters

25. Kathy
    November 28, 2009 2:38 pm

Ginny: I just booked a babysitter for my three children so that I can hopefully come by!

26. Steverino
    November 30, 2009 8:50 am

Always loved IKEA and now love them even more.

27. CrashJK
    November 30, 2009 8:56 am

Did I see the MLF was selling signed Tablot photos with the proceeds to go towards this project ? Could have swore I saw that during Saturday nights amazing ‘Guins game…

28. Pingback: Pittsburgh Girlie » December is For Giving