And if you act now …!

Do you remember way back when I first started my blog how I used to make fun of the Trib for trying to sell absolutely redonkulous news pictures?

Well, it appears the P-G has taken a page out of the Trib’s book because, not only can you buy redonkulous news photos at redonkulous prices, you can ALSO get those same redonkulous news photos printed on mugs and mouse pads.

This is by far my FAVORITE:

pgphotosales

Now THAT is what you would call a “lantern-jawed” fellow.

And for the low-low-low price of only $29.99 you can get a photo of this lantern-jawed fellow and this puppy-killing criminal placed on your very own coffee mug!

Or maybe you’re not into puppy-killing criminals and would prefer a photo of City Council president Doug Shields looking like he just threw up in his mouth a little bit.

WISH GRANTED!

pgphotosales2

That’s hot.

1. Pensgirl
    December 2, 2009 1:28 pm

I…uh…

Speechless.

2. Sooska
    December 2, 2009 1:31 pm

how…why….bloop???bloopbloop??

3. Sooska
    December 2, 2009 1:40 pm

Having regained some of my composure I can see it if there is a great photo of a Pittsburgh sunrise in the fog, or Sid or Geno, or even the Asshat (are we still calling him that) but the news photos? I suppose it is aimed at regular people who somehow take pride in having their face all over the newspaper or web site and want more than a dog-eared piece of newsprint. But gee whiz…
    Honestly, though, does anyone even use mouse pads anymore? This calls for a What Were They Really Thinking?

4. Monty
    December 2, 2009 1:41 pm

I’m definitely getting the semi-gloss 16×20 of the rhino’s redeye from a few weeks back. That’ll brighten up the living room.

5. Lauren
    December 2, 2009 1:41 pm

I know the first thing I want to see whilst pouring my morning coffee is a picture of a puppy killer.

6. Jessica
    December 2, 2009 1:43 pm

I had never even heard of this? WTF?

7. Three
    December 2, 2009 1:53 pm

Ginny, here’s one for you from the Valley News Dispatch…it would be a great mousepad! (Just envision her saying “What the hell are you looking at!”)

There was another one from the Greensburg Trib from around Easter that I used in one of my blog entries. I can’t find it in their archives, but here it is on my blog. It’s like SAW meets Easter. Seriously creepy.

Either one of those would rule, framed and in my geekatorium. Just sayin’.

8. Pa-pop
    December 2, 2009 2:04 pm

I think the first photo should be captioned, “Death arrested for shoplifting parka. ‘I was Jonesing for a new look,’ he explained to reporters. ‘The simple black hood had just gotten too old.'”

I will also grant you that the constable looks like a mortician. How appropriate.

December 2, 2009 2:22 pm

Pa-pop, HAH!

10. Beatrice
    December 2, 2009 2:29 pm

This is simply bizarre. I can see how some pictures would be kind of funny on a mug or mousepad …just trying to figure out the market for such products?

December 2, 2009 2:32 pm

further evidence of how desperate the newspapers are for a buck.

12. Magnus Patris
    December 2, 2009 3:02 pm

The best thing is you get 2 for the price of one! I know what Santa’s bringing this year!

13. Carpetbagger
    December 2, 2009 3:11 pm

Doug Shields’ blank expression on a mouse pad for 30 bucks? I guess the recession is officially over! Can I get a volume discount?

14. bluzdude
    December 2, 2009 3:26 pm

I can’t figure out which looks more like Death…
    The guy with no face at all, or the constable who, if you dress him in a robe and give him a scythe, is the very visage of the Grim Reaper.

15. Mermer
    December 2, 2009 3:45 pm

Anyone ever seen “The PJs”? I think that constable looks just like Smokey the crackhead.

16. butcher's dog
    December 2, 2009 3:52 pm

Ever since the P-G (pronounced “Mo**er-f**kers” up north here) started not selling the paper outside the shadow of the fountain at The Point in the interests of streamlining their business, nothing they do surprises me. I mean, once we’ve established that someone is a whore, all the rest is about haggling over price for services rendered, right?

Having said all that, we should all look as good as that constable if/when we reach his age. I mean, he _is_ 95 or so, right? Who’s with me on this?

17. Kathy
    December 2, 2009 4:54 pm

I just laughed out loud at the description and picture of Doug Shields….what they would make money at would be if they had a photo array that showed how he has increasingly more hair as time passes…

18. toni
    December 2, 2009 4:58 pm

I dunno, I think the biggest Grim Reaper is Lukey wielding a tuiton tax.

19. chrys
    December 2, 2009 6:03 pm

I guess newspapers are just looking for ways to make a buck. But to by a mug of the puppy killer dude seems pretty tactless.. LOL! As for Dougie Shields, well every girl wants a pic of him. Do you think they have pillow cases available? Then I can cuddle with my favorite councilman anytime I want.. eye roll…

blaahhh

20. Erik H
    December 2, 2009 6:19 pm

This is the most hilarious thing that I have ever seen on the Post Gazette website, bar none.

21. Different Brian
    December 2, 2009 7:03 pm

The puppy killer is only funny because of skeletor standing there with his head rotated to the side. I can’t quite get the words straightened out now but that man needs to be an interweb meme. Now.

22. Steeler_tom
    December 2, 2009 10:54 pm

Hey! a flash of brilliance!
    I missed the oppertunity
    Get those Wear Pittsburgh folks to resurect the “PittGirl says drink” shirts! (I know you don’t like the moniker Ginny)
    And you sign them. for a higher price
    This way you generate even more cash for the cause! $10,000 is great but $20,000 is awesome!
    Huh? Huh?

Anyhow just a thought

23. Bojack
    December 2, 2009 11:27 pm

Damn!!

I’ve been reading blogs and missed Glee!!!!!!! grrrrrrrrr

24. jrs3usc93
    December 3, 2009 9:28 am

I wonder if we can get the “Boob Whisperer” on a coffee mug? That would be a conversation starter around the office.

25. efw_west
    December 3, 2009 12:09 pm

if there is any paper that deserves to be made fun of, it is the Fox-wannabe, right wing rag called the Trib.

26. Carpetbagger
    December 3, 2009 12:39 pm

Whoa! The thermometer just turned red. Step back, she’s gonna blow!

27. Pixelgeeek
    December 3, 2009 7:28 pm

The most interesting thing to me is that (once again) The PG has provided you with fodder for your own post. It seems to me that if it weren’t for the PG creating news (and yes photos) then who would create good original content in Pittsburgh?

Sure… it’s easy to pick a couple of pictures of obscure news items and say “Hey look how stupid the big old fashioned newspaper is!” but if they had not _paid_ someone to go and take those pictures. You would have nothing to write about.

Let’s just say for a moment that the picture WAS of an actual puppy. It was cute. It was owned by a local person. Perhaps… just perhaps he or she (who owned it), just might WANT a mug of the shot. How else would they get it? Call the paper on the old fashioned thing… a phone. Ask an employees of the PG to find the photo. That person then has to have it printed, and then has to organize to have it sent out to them (paying for the postage of course). Sounds to me like that might actually BE worth $29 bucks.

But I guess it is easier to poke fun rather than create original content. Sarcasm is a wonderful thing.