I want money, lots and lots of money …

What the hell song is that?  You know?  From the 90s?  I want money, lots and lots of money, ooh I want something something sky.

Anyways, I don’t want to be rich, I want the sick kids to have video games to play and that’s why I want your money.

You’ll notice that my butler got his hands dirty in code (his words) last night to get that little thermometer working right for us.  Now, it isn’t currently being updated in real time because as you know we’re using the Mario Lemieux Foundation’s PayPal account and we’re working with them to find a way to make it update instantly.  In the meantime, they’re giving me periodic updates and I’m updating the total.

My husband’s PayPal donation of $550 is IN as of this morning and that put us at $4219.08!

That we are already above $4,000  is incredible and such a testament to the generous nature of Burghers, even during a time of recession and even during the holidays when we’re all struggling to buy gifts and whatnot.

If you have donated already or came to Mariachi Night or have bought a shirt over at WearPittsburgh, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

If you haven’t yet donated, please consider doing so.

As I said before, every little bit helps!

I’ll be sharing details with you soon on an upcoming FREE breakfast hosted at IKEA-Pittsburgh that will be fun and will raise money for this cause as well.

Stay tuned and watch the thermometer’s progress with me.  I am seriously going to freak out and probably scare my dogs a little bit when that hits $10,000.

Here’s a few kids who might appreciate a game room:

childrenscup2

childrenscup

1. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    December 2, 2009 10:57 am

Great work Ginny! The PayPal thing is easy and fast. Looking forward to seeing the thermometer inch up as well.

2. Tinare
    December 2, 2009 11:05 am

I don’t know the song that you referenced, but now I have “Money (That’s What I Want)” — The Beatles version — going through my head occasionally mixed with the version that was in the “Wedding Singer.” Thanks.

Good work, by the way, I’m also looking forward to seeing the thermometer go up!

3. Summer's Kiss
    December 2, 2009 11:18 am

The song is by Calloway – I Wanna Be Rich. Now I’ve got it stuck in my head!

4. Annie
    December 2, 2009 11:19 am

That song was in an 80s movie, but I can’t place it. Beverly Hills Cop maybe. That is going to bug me all day.

5. bluzdude
    December 2, 2009 11:30 am

I didn’t even know IceBurgh was sick!

6. Carpetbagger
    December 2, 2009 11:36 am

Very cool, Ginny.

Unfortunately, Steely McBeam is still forbidden by court order to venture within 500 ft of any children’s entity. All because of one night in Ohio, plenty of Jäger, a discarded pair of overalls, and an unnamed kicker. Such a shame…

7. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    December 2, 2009 11:43 am

I think the something somthing in the song is “that pie in the”

8. MiamiShyner
    December 2, 2009 11:47 am

What you’re doing is quite admirable. When my daughter was born, she had to spend a little time in Children’s for displaced hips. She’s great now (16 years later). So, from both of us, our 2 cents have been entered into the thermometer. :-)

9. Beatrice
    December 2, 2009 11:55 am

I think that song was on the Pretty Woman soundtrack. It’s also now stuck in my head. Love the thermometer! It will be fun to watch it.

10. Pittsburgh Tom (now back in da burgh)
    December 2, 2009 12:10 pm

You need to put another Mariachi night together and set up a computer there so the people can donate while they have a few drinks in them.

11. Wardy
    December 2, 2009 12:29 pm

The song is: “Got my mind set on you” by George Harrison…
    “But it’s gonna take money
    A whole lotta spending money
    Its gonna take plenty of money
    To do it right child”

12. Cassie
    December 2, 2009 12:35 pm

Great song. Love it. But as the song goes, “it’s gonna take time, a whole lotta precious time, it’s going to take patience and time, to do it right.”

But screw time, you guys are kicking butt!!! Almost half way there!!!

13. Magnus Patris
    December 2, 2009 12:45 pm

Ginny, that’s for using “and whatnot” which I believe is the up-and-coming new phrase in Pittsburgh. It’s the sophisticated ‘Burgher’s version of “n’at”.

14. Ashley
    December 2, 2009 12:47 pm

I am normally the grinchiest of people on Christmas. It’s not truly Christmas anymore but for whatever reason I am feeling very in the spirit this year. I donated what little I had because I am so thankful for my healthy son at home!! Am so excited to watch the thermometer rise!!

15. CrashJK
    December 2, 2009 12:53 pm

I’m in…let’s drive the green line UP…like the number of Sidney’s shots on goal…

16. red pen mama
    December 2, 2009 1:16 pm

Ginny, great job, and I, too, will be excited to see the green rise.

Your butler has quite a way with words.

If someone can come to your site and look at those pictures, and NOT donate (or schedule a donation on payday), then he/she has a cold, black heart.

And the only money song I can think of right now is “Money Honey” by Lady Gaga because I have a sick obsession with her. And that’s not the message you want to be sending.

ciao!
    rpm

17. Still A Fan
    December 2, 2009 1:47 pm

Steel City Slant’s pledge was donated shortly after link was added. We are trying to drum up business as well. Maybe Hooters could donate a kissing booth? Just sayin’

18. AmyLa
    December 2, 2009 2:12 pm

Now I have that song they used as a theme for The Apprentice in my head – The O’Jays “For the Love of Money”. I think we may have a Make Room for Kids theme song! Okay, maybe the lyrics aren’t quite aligned, but the bass line rocks!

19. butcher's dog
    December 2, 2009 3:47 pm

Isn’t Steely McBeam supposed to look lantern-jawed? Just askin’.

20. HokieRider
    December 2, 2009 3:53 pm

That link was a tear jerker. Those kids are too cute to be stuck in the hospital.

We had a blast at Mariachi night. Hope to see you again next time we’re in Pittsburgh.

21. Noelle
    December 2, 2009 4:02 pm

I just did a buttload of Christmas shopping at Wearpittsburgh.com

22. Sean
    December 2, 2009 6:38 pm

Here are the lyrics to Calloway’s I Wanna Be Rich:

Yum. Pie in the sky. :)

(PS: Random trivia – LyricWiki is from Pittsburgh)

23. Murray Saffron
    December 2, 2009 6:38 pm

Actually, the song is called “I Want Money” by Calloway, and the chorus goes a little something like this:

I want money lots and lots of money
    I want the pie in the sky
    I want money lots and lots of money
    So don’t be asking me why

Sorry, still stuck in the 90s :)

24. Drea
    December 2, 2009 7:34 pm

Ginny – Thanks for taking the initiative and making it so easy to donate. I spent a lot of time at Children’s myself and distinctly remember how horrible it was to be there as a teenager. Best of luck – I am confident you’ll reach your goal in no time!

25. Steeler_tom
    December 2, 2009 10:43 pm

Wish I was closer to join in the all the festivities.
    Unfortunatly I’m not.
    But Even tho’ I’m marooned in the Mojave desert, I donated.
    Now If I can do it so can everyone else.
    Every penny counts!
    Ginny, you rock!
    Thanks for making it easy to donate!

26. Gumby
    December 3, 2009 10:06 am

I’m in. Bet you don’t get a lot of other donations from Alabama.

27. Steelerslover
    December 3, 2009 12:32 pm

Hi!

I’ve toured the new hospital and it is so amazing!! I can’t wait to see the new room. Do you know where they’ll be putting it???

28. Nate
    December 3, 2009 9:01 pm

Also, Bob FM plays that Calloway song a lot.

AND I LOVE IT.

29. Pingback: The Year of Social Media « Red Pen Mama

30. rachel mccormick
    January 19, 2010 2:11 am

i am sa single mother of two my youngest is disabled and a learning disabety he has a shunt in his head we have sold everything we could to pay for his shunt cause my insurance would only pay a 4%of the cost we have rent due in two week and utilites i just got laid off and i have no idea what we are going to do can you help or ask someone 400 w blair avenue space 11, rock springs wyo82901 we are praying for help real help not more paper work and pending thank you and GOD BLESS