Two Benny Things

NFL/

1.  This might be the smartest thing The Duke of Fug has ever said:

“He basically pulled me in his office and told me. I was kind of in shock, upset, shock but respected what they said . . . You do have to think about your future and your family. It’s not fun but you can get knee replacement surgery, you can have rotator cuff surgeries, but you can’t get a new brain.”

2.  And this might be the most generous thing The Earl of Gross has ever done:

There also are plenty of donors stepping up to help cash-strapped municipalities buy the vests. Ben Roethlisberger, the quarterback for the Pittsburgh Steelers, gave $250,000 to the Pittsburgh police and fire departments for canine armor.

(h/t @HobokenSnoop)

Good ole’ Benny. Always raising conflicting emotions in me.

Also, I would totally buy a shirt with a caricature of Benny with text below it that says, “You can’t get a new brain!”

1. Carpetbagger
    December 3, 2009 4:00 pm

How about a t-shirt with the Steelers as characters from the Wizard of Oz?

Ben is the scarecrow who wants a brain.

Hines Ward is the lion who wants the courage to predict a win on Sunday.

Jeff Reed is the tin man who wants the heart to make a tackle.

And Coach Tomlin, of course, just wants to go home for the playoffs. But I don’t think he’ll wear a dress.

2. Sooska
    December 3, 2009 4:03 pm

conflicting emotions is right.Supposedly, Duke Earl walked thru the locker room on Saturday, after having been given the news he wasn’t going to play, and said “Good luck winning without me.” Well, no wonder Hines threw a hissy fit. But then, Hines was all ok with Ryan Clark when he wasn’t going to play in Denver because of a life threatening condition, so what gives? Effin’ big egos is what gives.

Ben has donated money to a number of police departments canine corps. Good for him.

December 3, 2009 4:21 pm

carpetbagger = win.

4. Cassie
    December 3, 2009 4:23 pm

Carpetbagger…you put it perfectly. But who is the good witch? What’s her name? Glenda?

Ben … why do you do all kinds of silly things, then go and make me kind of like you?!?

5. Carpetbagger
    December 3, 2009 4:49 pm

Not sure about the Good Witch. (Wish Myron were still around… or would he be the Wizard?)

The bad witch could be Ray Lewis, with the Bungles starring as his cadre of flying ass-monkeys. “I’m melting…”

6. Pa-pop
    December 3, 2009 5:11 pm

All of this talk of Ben and brains reminds me of the Buffalo theory supposedly advanced by Cheers’ Cliff Clavin. The legend goes like this: A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo and when the herd is hunted, the slowest and weakest ones at the back are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive drinking of alcohol kills brain cells, but naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

Did UPMC’s neurology staff prescribe a few six-packs, maybe even a keg for Ben?

7. Cassie
    December 3, 2009 5:11 pm

The good witch can by Troy. Problem solved.

8. PittinDC
    December 3, 2009 5:12 pm

Haha I would SO by that tshirt.. or the tshirt that carpetbagger has suggested!

9. Carpetbagger
    December 3, 2009 5:35 pm

Absolutely! What were we thinking? Out of sight, out of mind, I guess.

10. Beth
    December 3, 2009 6:41 pm

This has nothing to do with Ben or Hines, but when I saw that that thermometer was up to $7,500 already I had to donate. I love Pittsburghers.

11. pghgeorge
    December 3, 2009 6:56 pm

I got a new brain… and it works really….

hey something shiney!

what?

Oh yeah. I mean….huh?

what were we talking about?

12. bluzdude
    December 3, 2009 9:21 pm

Carpetbagger = en fuego. As long as that fuego stays away from the Scarecrow…

13. chrys
    December 3, 2009 9:39 pm

A caricature of Benny on a t-shirt that says “You can’t get a new brain” would be an awesome T-shirt!!!! Where do we get one?? My hubby loves Ben. Me? Well I think he’s a tool. But apparently a generous tool. Someone needs to make that t-shirt happen, cause I’d wear it every game. :)

14. Still A Fan
    December 3, 2009 9:42 pm

what about a t-shirt with a christmas theme….

the steelers as the three wise men….

it will have troy…..and…..

….and…..

……..and………

it will have three pictures of troy!

15. Bridges and Bites
    December 3, 2009 11:33 pm

Here I am clicking on the comment link thinking I’d make some clever and witty comment about the wizard of oz, but of course I’ve been beat!

16. La Reina
    December 4, 2009 8:42 am

Props to Benny for supporting the police.