BLLLLLLLLLLL!

I can’t even … I don’t … I mean … BLLLLLLLLLLL!

This morning when I woke up, I was talking to my husband about the fact that we had about $2,500 left to raise and he said, “They’ll probably hit $10,000 by midnight,” and I said, “Well, sometimes it will sort of slow down because everyone that is going to give already gave.  Hopefully we’ll get there though.”

I AM A GIANT IDIOT!

I should know better that Pittsburghers would heed the call and go above and beyond.  I should have known I would find myself with tears on my cheeks before noon.

I wish I had the right words, and as a writer, I’ve learned my limitations and in this instance, I don’t have the words. Anywhere.  And believe me, I freaking looked.

I just hope that somehow you can feel the gratitude in my heart.

I’m going to hit “Publish” here in a second and I’m going to head over to my mother’s house and get that picture and it will be posted before the end of the day.  In all its dorky, ridiculous, WHAT THE HELL WAS MY MOTHER THINKING LETTING ME DO THIS glory.

That’s right, I’m blaming my mother.  If you can’t blame your mother for every mistake in life, who can you blame?  I fully expect that one day my daughter will have a blog and be all, “So I wrecked my car today.  I blame my mother.  Who lives 3,000 miles away from me. ”

You just watch.

If you haven’t donated and you still want to be a part of this gift, please go ahead and throw a few bucks in the pot while Mike and I figure out how long we’ll keep that donate button up. The more we raise, the more games and gaming systems we can donate.

I’m going to keep you guys updated every step of the way as I get the information from the foundation as to the progress they’re making and what your money will be used for at the hospital.

Again, thank you seems hideously inadequate, so I’ll just give you all a virtual hug since you didn’t give my butler Mike (whose WearPittsburgh donated $150!) the chance to write code for that hologram thingamabob.

Every one of you that donated is the next Awesome Burgher and your giant, tight, awkwardly long hug is in the mail.

1. Beatrice
    December 4, 2009 12:28 pm

I just got the chills. The good kind. :)

2. Dan
    December 4, 2009 12:28 pm

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

3. Barry
    December 4, 2009 12:31 pm

Tears in my ears and it wasn’t even my idea. YOu’ve done well young lady and I applaud you. I knew the goal would be met, but Pittsburgh shocked the hell outta me with how quickly that thermometer shattered the glass.

4. Jaime
    December 4, 2009 12:35 pm

Beatrice – Chills is right!

Can we nominate you for Pittsburgher of the Year???

5. Cathy
    December 4, 2009 12:36 pm

How awesome! Just made my donation. If my kid is getting a new game for christmas why shouldn’t they! I have spent some time as a teenager in Children’s Hospital in Philly with a friend and I know how much this helps.

6. DG
    December 4, 2009 12:43 pm

Ginny, if you can’t find the words, may I suggest an old standby (with a twist):

“Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus…” and his name is Pittsburgh.

7. CrashJK
    December 4, 2009 12:57 pm

Virtual HIGH FIVE To all…great job…and Ginny…you are a gem !

8. annietiques
    December 4, 2009 1:01 pm

DG How perfect!! Congrats all around!

9. PG Wodehouse
    December 4, 2009 1:11 pm

Next trick for your butler Mike is to show the exploded top of the thermometer with the mercury geysering out of it.

Congratulations

10. Jeni
    December 4, 2009 1:14 pm

Just made my donation! It’s small but I couldn’t let this one pass me by. :) Thank you, Burghers (near and far).

11. Julie
    December 4, 2009 1:21 pm

I was hoping to wait until payday (14th) to give something to this, but since now I’m not so sure the link will still be up in a week and a half, I donated to the cause just a few minutes ago. It’s not much, but I hope it’ll help.

It’s just amazing we raised more than $10,000 in less than a week. Thank you, Ginny, Mike W., and all others involved in making this happen.

12. Bob M
    December 4, 2009 1:21 pm

Ginny, YOU are the Awesome Burgher! Thank you for coordinating this opportunity to help the kids.
    Merry Christmas!

13. angelgirl8906
    December 4, 2009 1:26 pm

WOW! I’m soooo impressed with all of the generous people in the Burg!!! It does my heart good to think about the generosity that made this happen!!! My prayer is that every child that plays the games in this playroom will just FEEL the LOVE!

Way to go PITTSBURGH!

14. Amy
    December 4, 2009 1:26 pm

Ginny, thank you for giving me a reason to feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Pittsburghers are awesome!

15. BIGGEORGE
    December 4, 2009 1:28 pm

You made this 300lb Gorilla cry!!!

You just keep writing, this blog, some other blog, whatever!! That will be repayment enough!

BIGGEORGE

16. Sarah
    December 4, 2009 1:36 pm

I agree with Big George—-keep on blogging, your writing style is brilliant. That will be our virtual group hug.

17. Julie
    December 4, 2009 1:37 pm

Ginny, btw, in case no one else did this yet, I emailed the News Desk at KDKA and told them about this. Hope you get a call – imagine how much more $$ could be raised if this is covered on the evening news!

18. Greg
    December 4, 2009 1:42 pm

Good call Julie.

19. bluzdude
    December 4, 2009 1:51 pm

Thank you to Ginny and to all the other readers that made this all happen.

I definitely think the top of the thermometer should be extended, if only to give Woy a chance to write that hologram program. Besides, you may need it if KDKA bites.

Meanwhile, I am letting the awesome hugginess of the moment envelop me.

There is no town like The Burgh.

20. Bojack
    December 4, 2009 1:55 pm

WOW!!!

And I was gonna kick in the winnings from the “under” (42.5) in
    Sunday’s Cincinnati-Detroit game!!!! (It’s a lock!! :-) )

21. LisaC
    December 4, 2009 1:56 pm

Wow wow wow.

22. Pa-pop
    December 4, 2009 2:03 pm

Over ten grand in five short days. This speaks volumes about –

•Ginny’s compassion and imagination and devotion to making things happen.

•The awesome generosity of Burghers.

•Our fascinating interest in wanting to see a dorky photo.

Yesterday I referenced the 70’s and standing in line at department store windows to contribute to Children’s Hospital. This was just as much fun. Plus, I’m not as cold and I’m feeling just as cozy.

Let’s do this again sometime!

23. Slidetuba
    December 4, 2009 2:07 pm

Since we have more than one hospital.. Couldn’t we do more than one room??

24. Carly
    December 4, 2009 2:09 pm

Is the donate button already turned off? I dilly dallied and now I can’t donate? I know its my own fault…but I really wanted to be a part of this…is there some way I can still donate?

25. Scott
    December 4, 2009 2:12 pm

I was all excited for Ginny to pop out of the top of the thermometer and hug me, but….nothing.

Great work!

26. Virginia
    December 4, 2009 2:20 pm

Carly, It looks like DonationsTracker is just down for the moment. Keep trying and it should be back up soon. ;)

27. red pen mama
    December 4, 2009 2:21 pm

1. I just got chills, too. I mean. WOW, Pittsburgh and beyond.

2. All I can see is @bucdaddy standing around his mailbox for the next week or so, waiting for that hug.

3. I hope this is as covered by the news as your “coming out” was, Ginny. Even on CNN!

ciao,
    rpm

28. Ashley
    December 4, 2009 3:20 pm

@carpetbagger: EXACTLY.

Ginny, I don’t think we’re done! What else do you have for us? As I said yesterday, I am SO DAMN PROUD to live in this city. Ugh. I love all of you. I get weepy and sentimental when I’m happy. What.

29. Pa-pop
    December 4, 2009 8:00 pm

It just occurred to me I forgot to mention your former butler Mike when I offered my previous plaudits. Mike did (and does) a yeoman’s job of “engineering” and I’m sure there’s a place for him in Heaven, too. Great job!

30. Peg
    December 4, 2009 9:16 pm

I’m marveling at the generosity of your spirit that has allowed your readers to share in something wonderful. You, and your old man, could have just plunked your own money down and felt good about it, but you’ve given us all an opportunity to participate and feel special.

Thank you!

31. MarK
    December 8, 2009 10:09 am

You are the greatest! My grandson spends time at Childrens when his diabetes gets whacky. When I visit he can kick my butt on the games and toys that will be provided. Thank you and everyone for being so kind.