The post in which you never look at me the same again.

When the thermometer hit $10,000, the first phone call I took was from my mother who said, AND I QUOTE, “I can’t believe you did it.  I’m so proud of you. You need to post that picture so get over here and look at these dorky pictures I found.”

So I stalled a bit and she called again.

“Are you on your way?! I found some really, really dorky pictures!  Glasses and everything.”

“I’m glad you’re so enjoying this.  I’ll be there in 15 minutes and I ONLY NEED THE NASA PICTURE.”

So I arrived at my mother’s house and she has spread out on her kitchen table every dorky picture she could find.  And she was positively giddy, all, “I’m so glad I took the time last year to sort every picture I have of the five of you! Look at you here.  HAHAH! Look at your glasses! Look at your hair!  Look at your shoes!  HAHAH!”

She’s a gem.

So, first, the story.  Most of my childhood, all of my teen years, and probably the first year of college, I was space-obsessed.  I wanted to be an astronaut more than anything and I honestly don’t know why.  Maybe that Space Camp movie? My bedroom was ridiculous, basically wallpapered in posters of space shuttles and F-15s and F-16s and it was filled with model rockets and model space shuttles.  I read books on space and remember touring space museums in Florida I think it was.  So when it came time to get my senior picture done, the photographer really loved the NASA idea and well, as you’ll see, he really took over the control panel and hit the “Launch” button six times with a sledgehammer.

Burghers, I give you The Princess of Fug and the Duchess of Gross. Me at 17.

scan0001

I’m going to give you a moment to regain control of your bodily functions.

Now, let me save you the effort.

First, please notice my sexy mustache.  Hot. The first week I was in college, my sister and her friend strapped me to a chair all, “This won’t do,” and proceeded to deal with not only THAT but also my rockin’ Ken Rice eyebrows. Those are hot too.

Please notice my sweet fake gold earrings, link bracelet, and “pearl HAHAH” bracelet and also a band on my wedding finger. WTF?  That’s not jewelry overload at all.  I should have worn a tiara to bring the eyes up and away from all the mismatched jewelry.

Please notice that I have buttoned that shoulder-padded shirt so damn high you can’t even see my throat.  That’s the minister’s daughter in me right there.  You ain’t ready for this jelly.

Finally, the hair.  THE HAIR!  It’s not a mullet because it is pinned back, but it SURE LOOKS LIKE A MULLET.

Also, if you’re wondering what I’m scribbling on that there very important and official-looking NASA legal pad, it is probably, “I’M GOING TO REALLY REGRET THIS SOMEDAY.”

And I do.

Except that it’s for sick kids, and that makes it all okay.

You can still donate.

1. Becky
    December 4, 2009 3:52 pm

Ginny,
    You could be my long lost big hair sister…seriously I think I had the same picture sans NASA background.

2. KM
    December 4, 2009 3:52 pm

I donated an extra $25 after seeing that picture.

3. Becky
    December 4, 2009 3:54 pm

Oh and I like how at the top right of the NASA photo the cloud looks like a hand.

4. Nicole
    December 4, 2009 4:18 pm

Ummm … I like what others on here are saying – what do we get if the donations hit the $15k mark?

That pic is really not that bad!!!:)

5. Beatrice
    December 4, 2009 4:20 pm

That movie about space camp WAS pretty cool though….

December 4, 2009 4:21 pm

ya know, the duke of fug is still looking for a duchess……

at least you don’t have any pix that show that you once resembled farmer ted.

btw — VERY nice job on the fundraiser.

7. CFluck
    December 4, 2009 4:35 pm

Way to go and keep it going! And did you know that the interweb will allow you to find out when the International Space Station flies overhead, and you can go outside and see it? http://www.n2yo.com

8. Cassie
    December 4, 2009 4:44 pm

OMG, that’s hilarious!!! I also love the glasses off to the side. At least you didn’t over do it, right?

CONGRATS!

9. bluzdude
    December 4, 2009 4:54 pm

Boy, you ladies are awfully hard on yourselves. I looked at the pic and though, “wow, she was cute!” Then I go read all the things you hated about it and none of it was anything I’d ever notice in a million years. (I totally can’t see the ‘stache.)

Well, except the Shuttle taking off right outside your window.

Let’s see the rest of the “bad” pics. I bet they’re not so bad…

10. Allison
    December 4, 2009 4:57 pm

wow, over 11K… Pittsburghers never know when to stop giving, and it’s things like this that make this community so great!

11. Emilie
    December 4, 2009 6:02 pm

I am laughing, not of the picture of you, but like Burgh Baby said – it’s the background and props that are cracking me up. Love it. Worth every penny to donate to a good cause to get a good laugh this Friday afternoon. Thanks! ; )

12. cmd_45
    December 4, 2009 6:47 pm

We all have pics like that, so don’t sweat it. As for the fundraising, keep on trucking, new games don’t buy themselves. That way there will always be a little fund for the next big thing!!

13. Sue
    December 4, 2009 6:51 pm

Hey Ginny, the GREAT thing about pictures like that is they allow you too look in the mirror NOW and say to yourself – “Damn, I look GOOD. I’m so much hotter than I was back then!!!”

14. Mayor Luke Doggy Dogg
    December 4, 2009 6:59 pm

Girl,

Yo sistas’ were right as hell! But be thankful fo’ what they did.

You iz a fine @$$ dime piece now! Lukeylicious baby…

Now get ta’ steppin’ wit dem boots on now!

15. JenOH
    December 4, 2009 7:32 pm

I’ll give you that the NASA theme is ridiculous, but you look pretty in that picture.

Trust me, if anyone knows bad pictures, it’s me. I don’t like the way I look now in most pictures, but nothing can top my hideously ugly 7th & 8th grade school pictures. I mean, I was so ugly in those photos that my mother should’ve had me chained up in the basement.

16. capn hankaroo
    December 4, 2009 7:40 pm

Beautiful now
    beautiful then
    beauty forever to those kids
    congrats

17. stephanie
    December 4, 2009 7:56 pm

i think i had that shirt. and i wore it in my senior picture, sans NASA props.

i knew you would raise more than $10k within a week. the only question is how much more and how long donations will be accepted. what a great christmas for the kids!!!

18. steeler_tom
    December 4, 2009 8:00 pm

Yes! Continue donating. More is better!
    Dorky pic?
    Not on your life.
    (I’ll bet your mom “does” have a truely dorky one in reserve for us)

Of course, I’ll say you get better with age.

anybody out there wanna say 20K?

19. Still A, Fan
    December 4, 2009 8:45 pm

ginny, the second i saw the picture, i swear to GOD my head went right to this:

my wife was SOOO into them back in the day.

Enjoy!

And way to go! I’m glad we could help out.

20. Greg
    December 4, 2009 9:01 pm

Congrats on hitting 10K so fast! That’s awesome. If you’re not aware of it (or even if you are), maybe next you can aim for helping the incredible Child’s Play: http://www.childsplaycharity.org/

(Not affiliated, just a gamer with a heart…)

21. Bojack
    December 4, 2009 9:28 pm

OK, I have a “Star Fleet Academy” decal, in my car’s rear window!!

LUV the widow’s peak a la Marilyn Monroe, Alyson (“one time, at band camp…) Hannigan, and Eddie Munster!!

Now, down to business:

How much free liquor at Las Velas to NOT print that on…. hmmmm….20 t-shirts and hang out in Market Square????

Great job! :-)

22. Different Brian
    December 4, 2009 10:12 pm

Forget the lame background and jewelry… isn’t the real problem with the pic the widow’s peak combined with the afro thing you got going there? Thats like 5 inches of puff up from the scalp! Damn woman.

/proud donor
    //allowed to mock

23. Elmer Fudd
    December 4, 2009 10:53 pm

Hey Ginny here is some music to go with your picture http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G7h0fegS-w Great job on the raising the money for the kids!

24. Clementine
    December 4, 2009 11:00 pm

Aww, that’s used to be my hair! (when I was rockin’ the early 90s spiral perm). I think you look very nice.

And congrats on blowing the top off that thermometer! This deserves to be the first in a long line of annual fundraisers. Shoot for the moon! You already have a space shuttle ;)

25. Michael
    December 4, 2009 11:11 pm

Did your sisters tweeze the Eddie Munster widow’s peak as well? Not nearly as bad though as the pictures of me rockin’ the Michael Bolton perm. Back when he had hair anyway. Ah the late 80s early 90s. No wonder the ozone layer is depleting.

Major kudos on a job well done!!!!!!!

26. Scott
    December 5, 2009 12:20 am

“Just let your Sooouuullll Glooooowwwwww!!!….”

December 5, 2009 12:49 am

I am not so superficial that underneath the jewelry and the eyebrows and the mullet and the moustache and the button-up I cannot see the beautiful girl you were then and the even more beautiful woman you would become.

Space’s loss is our gain (and really, science needs more chicks).

Congratulations, Virginia. You done good.

28. KSM
    December 5, 2009 9:11 am

I have to say I’m a little disappointed. I was hoping to see a picture WORSE than my senior picture. You look like a beauty queen compared to me! I was missing the NASA them though.

29. Matt
    December 5, 2009 9:38 am

Hi, blogfans of the future. I’m just an average teenaged science geek sitting here adjusting NASA climatological data by 50 degrees (give or take – I’m not wearing my glasses), so 15 years from now a guy named Al Gore can scare the bejesus out of you with his “evidence” of global warming and the Atlantic beach closing in on Johnstown, and I can shake him down for 50% of his book proceeds for the kids. Hey, this philanthropy stuff takes a lot of advance planning!

30. Mr. JanePitt
    December 5, 2009 11:02 am

Oh my love, you owe them better then that, over 11000.00 in 4 days come on!

Minions I have seen better pictures.

I love you Honey

My first post in your website!

PS sorry if my punctuation is not as good

31. Tina Fey
    December 5, 2009 12:26 pm

Mr. JanePitt, I would have to agree. I have seen pictures of Gingersnap that are way worse than that one. I have one where I swear she looks like a 55-year-old woman. I just can’t figure out how to scan the stupid thing. However, the NASA photo still makes me pee my pants.

Regarding the widow’s peak, it’s way sexier now, and no, we didn’t tweeze that sucker. Only fixed the brows and ‘stache.

Lastly, Ginger, I’m so proud of what you and your readers and the city of Pittsburgh have done for these kids. Truly amazing.

32. chrys
    December 5, 2009 1:17 pm

Aww.. Ginny.. I think you look cute. That is definately a senior pic worthy of the time. LOL! My Dad was a professional photog and took mine. Needless to say he came up with all sorts of poses. My “favorite” is me in all my mis-matched jewelry-acid washed-hole-in-the-knee jeans glory pretending to be talking on a cordless phone circa 1989. My Dad thought it would be cute, because as he believed back then that I had the phone permanently attached to my ear. LOL!
    That is a pic that would never be revealed. My hubby has seen it and laughs every single time. The rat bastard.. LOL!

33. Luke Steelerstahl
    December 5, 2009 1:31 pm

I’d hit that

December 6, 2009 12:26 am

Back when I was like 5 or 6 my grandfather took a photo of me taking a leak. This has been held over my head ever since and I have unfortunately never gotten my hands on the negative (old-school photography, yes, I’m that old) to destroy it in a flaming cauldron.

BTW, Ginny, I’d have been all over you in high school. You’d have had to fend me off with a flame-thrower.

35. JennyMoon
    December 6, 2009 1:12 am

Your husband posting a comment is SO adorable!

36. Ginny's Dad
    December 6, 2009 10:05 am

Did I pay for that photo? If so, I want my money back.

December 6, 2009 10:28 am

Oh, snap, Pap!

38. Jill
    December 7, 2009 9:45 am

What … for the 80’s this is adorable!! There isn’t even any blue eyeliner!! Come on Ginny. you can do better than that ….

39. Betoon
    December 7, 2009 1:29 pm

Um… right with you in the outer space fixation…turned my dad’s garage in to the Enterprise and stuck my pain in the doopah sister in sick bay all the time so I didn’t have to deal with babysitting her.

40. chrys
    December 7, 2009 2:21 pm

Betoon.. I haven’t “heard the word “doopah” since I was a little girl. My Grammy used to say that. She would tell my brothers that they were pains in her “doopah” LOL! Aww.. How funny that you posted that and I now have the warm and fuzzies about my great grandmother. :) Thanks.

41. Beth
    December 7, 2009 7:15 pm

I love that your whole family is getting in on the ribbing. That is so something my family would do to me!

42. Vivian formerly NY Luvs Pitts
    December 7, 2009 9:03 pm

My 19 year old daughter said, “It’s not a bad picture”. Hope that makes you feel better.