Special Saturday Random n’at.

jake-gyllenhaal-back-tattoo-pittsburgh-steelers

1.  That’s right. A rare Saturday post in a vain attempt to bump that photo the hell down the page.  Especially with my husband and sister in the comments discussing that there are WAY worse photos of me in existence.

NOT happening.

I might have to have a little bonfire in my parents’ backyard tonight.  Just need to get the pigeon carcasses for kindling.

2.  If you haven’t checked into the Callapitter blog lately, Amy continues to bare her soul in the hope of finding healing.

For the past few days I’ve felt completely hollow, like someone sucked out the center of my being and left this empty, aching space. Like part of me is missing…which I guess it is. I would give anything to hug them, or hear them laugh, or hear them call me ‘Mama’.

And lines like this, in which she describes how she is going to deal with this first Christmas without her children, are why I hope that someday she’ll write a book:

When I feel like I can’t breathe, I’ll make myself take another breath.

This Christmas is going to be hard for Amy, and now that you’ve donated your money to sick kids, donate your thoughts, good energy, prayers, and kind words to Amy.

It’s a hard blog to read, but you know what? Amy deserves our ears, our eyes, and our tears.  Christmas isn’t just about feeling merry inside of our snow-sprinkled bubble; it’s about holding up the people who are having trouble standing tall on their own.

3.  Lots of you have emailed me this little clip of Jake Gyllenhaal professing his love for Pittsburgh, telling awesome Pittsburgh stories, and revealing a Steelers tattoo, which of course is fake, but it’s the thought that counts.

YouTube Preview Image

Know what else counts? That yummy bare back.

And I think I speak for all of mankind when I say we’d much rather look at Jake’s bare back than we would my 17-year-old Mustache of Rocket Science.

4.  Actor John Lithgow has taken to his twitter account to sing our city’s praises while he’s in town performing with the Symphony:

lithgowtwitter

Love.

5.  If you’re looking for some kickass people to watch the game with tomorrow and to do a good thing while watching it, here you go!

6.  Here’s a picture of a falcon eating a pigeon on the ledge of the Grant Building, I believe it is, and apparently dropping a severed pigeon leg onto some poor unsuspecting pedestrian down below.

That just puts me in a cheery, Christmas spirit!

(h/t Sean)

7.  My uncle, God bless him, is trying to bring me over to The Dark Side and embrace his love for pigeons.  So he sent me this link on Facebook and then called my house all, “Read it to the end.   Promise me you’ll read every word and then tell me if it changes your mind.”

So I got to the part about people going pigeon-watching and almost peed my pants.  Who does that?!?  We don’t watch pigeons!  They’re watching us!  And knowing. Knowing bastards.

And check this out:

Finally, practice your pigeon observation skills by making flash cards. You can print out the identification section and cut out the pigeon pictures to make the flash cards. Shuffle the cards and quiz yourself, or get together with another PigeonWatcher to quiz each other. Take your cards with you for a walk in your neighborhood. Look for pigeons and practice observing color types and courtship activity.

PIGEON FLASHCARDS!  And watch out for the pigeon sex!

I will admit that I almost fell off of my chair when I read about the war-hero pigeon that is enshrined in the Smithsonian.

BUT THAT’S ALL I’M ADMITTING, UNCLE MORGAN! THAT I ALMOST FELL OUT OF MY CHAIR.

Do with that what you will.

Finally, I bet you six billion dollars that pigeon sex is not nearly as entertaining as angry rhino sex.

1. Sooska
    December 5, 2009 3:47 pm

Observing pigeon sex would have been WAY better than observing the 2nd half of the Pitt-Cincinnati game.

2. bluzdude
    December 5, 2009 5:10 pm

I see pigeon sex damn near every day as I’m walking to work. There’s a courtyard I pass that’s just lousy with pigeons and there’s always at least one with his chest puffed out doggedly strutting behind some lady-pigeon, begging for some action. Just like a night in any bar.

3. mfj
    December 5, 2009 6:01 pm

Know what would have been really helpful info on that CHS flyer? Some idea of where on the South Side the OTB Bicycle Cafe is. It’s at 2518 Carson, for those of us who don’t feel like toting our canvas totes up and down 30 blocks of S. Side drunkenness. Just saying.

4. Cassie
    December 5, 2009 6:21 pm

Jake…nomnomnom.

5. Dayvoe
    December 5, 2009 7:00 pm

On Lithgow’s eating a Primanti’s sandwich, that’s my doing.

Go see my blog at the PSO website [http://pittsburghsymphony.blogs.com/outside/2009/12/lunch-with-lithgow.html].

He perked right up when I described it to him.

December 6, 2009 12:05 am

Just reading those couple lines from Amy, my testicular cancer doesn’t seem so bad at all, really.

7. DG
    December 6, 2009 4:37 pm

I just had to post, if for no other reason than to let you know that some of us had to work on Saturday (yes, I know it’s Sunday) and appreciated the extra effort.

8. Pa-pop
    December 6, 2009 6:52 pm

I wonder if that falcon featured on Twitpic has an “I Poop My Tweet” t-shirt?

9. Monty
    December 7, 2009 9:24 am

Gyllenhaal is Sid Bream, David Volek and Madden football wrapped up into one. And that’s without even going into discussing what would possess a man to put the fake tattoo in tramp stamp real estate. Nomnom all you want, but that’s just plain creepy.

10. Deby
    December 7, 2009 9:35 am

Ummmm…is your uncle perhaps Bert from Sesame Street?

11. Lauren
    December 7, 2009 9:41 am

Monty-If you believe the rumors about Jake, the “tramp stamp” makes perfect sense (not that there’s anything wrong with that.)

12. Peg
    December 7, 2009 9:49 am

Why do I feel like donating again? Time for a challenge, or to raise the bar?

Love your uncle. I admit that I’m slightly interested in pigeons, IN SMALL NUMBERS. But, I like Polar Bears too, until they fly in flocks, dive bombing my head and pooping everywhere!

13. Erin
    December 7, 2009 3:45 pm

” Christmas isn’t just about feeling merry inside of our snow-sprinkled bubble; it’s about holding up the people who are having trouble standing tall on their own” – wonderful sentiment. I love it.

I had a difficult weekend with my wild child 2-year-old and needy newborn; felt like I was going to lose it all weekend. And then I think what life would be like without them, and I think of Amy, and how bad it sucks for her to be the reminder to appreciate your kids.