Make Room for Kids Update

As you can see, I’ve still got that Donate button there and yep, it is still active because I am a greedy, greedy, greedy woman.

I never put a time-frame on raising the $10,000 because I didn’t know how long it would take.  4 days is what it took, and now it is up past $12,000.

After speaking with The Mario Lemieux Foundation, I have decided to keep the button there until the end of the day Friday, just to be sure that everyone who wants to be involved in gifting this game room to the kids, can be.  Who knows?  Maybe we’ll get to $13,000.

In addition to the other cities I listed previously, we’ve now also received donations from:

• Athens, OH
  • Meridian, MS
  • Brooklyn, NY
  • San Jose, CA
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • London, England

Wow.

I keep thinking to myself, every time I see another $150 or so raised, “Well, there’s another Nintendo DS.  And another.  Another.”

Like I said, greedy.

But I’m unrepentant about it because IT’S GREED IN THE NAME OF HELPING SICK KIDS.

1. H.
    December 8, 2009 11:35 am

I’m the Houstonian! I lived in Pittsburgh for only a year (had to move for work), and I miss it everyday. This blog and donating to the cause makes me feel like I’m still a part of this beloved city.

2. Wardy
    December 8, 2009 12:17 pm

Ginny, You are doing something really great, in order to make sick kids happy. You are giving Pittsburghers the ability to do what they do best… Help the kids!

God bless you!

3. BIGGEORGE
    December 8, 2009 12:21 pm

When you go to buy the various electronic equipment, you may want to talk to the manufacture and tell them it is for a charitable cause. You may get them for a discount!

If not the manufacturer, the store might give you a discount on such a large purchase!

Stretch that money futher!!!

BIGGEORGE

4. Tim the Meatshield
    December 8, 2009 1:24 pm

Athens, OH checking in. A great cause to donate to, Ginny. I’ve never lived in Pittsburgh, but I come often to visit fellow podcampers and friends. Seemed like the right thing to do.

Now if only I could get someone motivated enough to do this in my area…

Cheers,
    Tim

5. karin
    December 8, 2009 2:01 pm

Don’t forget Seattle, Washington! I’ve never even been to Pittsburgh (although I lived briefly in Hershey, does that count?) – I just love your blog and what you are doing for the kids!

6. Dan
    December 8, 2009 2:27 pm

Brooklyn always has to represent! Congrats on all the hard work you’ve done for these kids!

7. Cassie
    December 8, 2009 3:30 pm

Good call BIGGEORGE! You really should look into that kind of thing, Ginny. I mean if Ikea is giving you free stuff, why not see what other company is willing to help out? Go to Target, Walmart, BestBuy…see who’s going to give you the best deal. Wouldn’t it be great if you guys could have toys meant for the toddlers, too? Leapfrogs or something? So cool!

8. Dan (Not Onarato)
    December 8, 2009 3:34 pm

Thanks for doing this Ginny!

9. PA Girl in FL
    December 8, 2009 3:51 pm

Ginny – I’ve been in Florida for just over ten years, after 40 years in western PA. There is no where like western PA. Here in Central Florida, when I see another ‘burger, it’s an almost instant connection. There is no where like home….especially this time of year! So here’s to helping the kids make their stay a bit better!

10. butcher's dog
    December 8, 2009 3:54 pm

I didn’t have the impression that Ginny was going around to the stores to buy the stuff. I thought someone (at Children’s maybe?) was going to do the buy. In which case they sure should get bulk price discounts. Still, something to check into.

And in response to the Stillers and the post, your Shakespeare was meticulous, Grease is better on stage than in the film, and all Pittsburgh sports fans together now…”Let’s Go Pens!”

11. Karissa
    December 8, 2009 4:39 pm

The connectedness we ‘Burghers still feel even after some have left is just amazing. I haven’t met anyone from another city who can even mention such a thing.

And, of course, MRFK is just about the awesomest fundraiser… ever. I have family that has spent a lot of time at Children’s, and it warms my heart to know we’re giving these kids hopefully more than just a few smiles.

12. atlpitt
    December 8, 2009 5:29 pm

I am the Newnan, GA resident on your list! When I was a kid, I was very, very ill and spent some time at Children’s. They didn’t save my life but they restored my ability to walk, talk, and helped me live the life I had before I became ill. They do miracles every day and you are in cahoots with them! Thank you for giving former patients a chance to give back!

13. one-eyed dick
    December 8, 2009 9:41 pm

Cincinnati? You accepted a donation from Cincinnati? What you are undertaking is, indeed, a noble cause and we admire you for it, but by accepting cash from someone in Cincinnati (unless they have bonafide yinzer connections) certainly places you on a slippery slope here, esp. given the crushing circumstances of this past weekend and TWO previous losses to the Bengals this year.

What’s next–a check from Tiger Woods? O.J. Simpson? Marian Hossa? Pigeons?

14. Jeff
    December 9, 2009 9:03 am

I’m the League City, TX resident. Having grown up listening to Jack Bogut starting all of our hearts with farkleberry tarts, this certainly reminds me of many good times raising money for Children’s. Thank you so very much for doing this!

15. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    December 9, 2009 12:31 pm

This is fantastic!!!! Just curious, but is it possible to get the total number of donors. I would gather that there were a lot of small donations that added up to one big number and was just curios as to what number of awesome Burghers and honorary Burghers all joined together for this amazing cause.

16. TexBurgher
    December 10, 2009 8:50 pm

I was born and raised in Pittsburgh, but transplanted to Austin this summer. I couldn’t afford much, but I chipped in a little! My nephew spent most of his 4 year life in Children’s in Pittsburgh, so they’ve got a special place in my heart, no matter where I live.