A love affair with Pittsburgh.

Did someone use an airplane to dump a couple thousand gallons of Love Potion Number 9 onto the city of Pittsburgh or something?

Not only does Russell Crowe love Pittsburgh, not only did Jake Gyllenhaal fall in love with Pittsburgh, not only, as I’ve been told, have two crew members from Love and Other Drugs purchased homes in Pittsburgh, please take a look at this special message, from Russell Crowe to the fans of Australia’s South Sydney Rabbitohs, a team he owns:

YouTube Preview Image

What what!

Also, go read Sally Frickin’ Wiggin’s blog post about her meeting with Russell Crowe.

I think it’s pretty safe to say that when it comes to Russell Crowe, I’ve gone from “meh” to “Bam!” to “Oh, talk Australian to me, you hot Kiwi.”

The way things are going, Pittsburgh IS going to be the next Hollywood, or at the very least one of these days we’re going to turn the corner of a dark alley in the Strip to find David Conrad beating the shit out of Russell Crowe and Jake Gyllenhaal all, “I. Saw. Her. First!”

(h/t Beth and Kiss Morning Freak Show’s Mikey)

1. Magnus Patris
    December 9, 2009 5:07 am

Technically i think “kiwi” is a New Zealander. I always thought he was a great actor, but never thought much personally about him. That’s changed. Maybe he can donate one of those bitchin’ green and red jackets to auction off for “Make Room for Kids”. 3XL please.
    Maybe we need to have some Rabbitohs merchandise for sale in Pittsburgh?

2. Cassie
    December 9, 2009 9:45 am

He can talk Australian to me all damn day. Hot stuff :)

3. red pen mama
    December 9, 2009 9:55 am

You are racking up an impressive list of celebrity self-united husbands.

ciao,
    rpm

4. Donncha
    December 9, 2009 10:03 am

He spoke for ten frickin minutes. Ten minutes. Who the hell is really going to pay attention for ten minutes? Does the guy think he’s Fidel Castro at the UN?

5. Robert E Hunt Jr
    December 9, 2009 10:08 am

I love how Crowe pauses and then says … “and the home of the Pittsburgh Pirates baseball team.”

It’s as if he’s afraid he’s gonna destroy the whole vibe of his message if he mentions them. Too funny.

6. Katie
    December 9, 2009 10:23 am

The montage at the beginning brought tears to my eyes. God, I miss living in the ‘burgh.

7. Virginia
    December 9, 2009 10:28 am

Oh, Magnus, you underestimate me.

Russell was born in New Zealand and makes his home in Australia.

Boo-yah!

8. Carpetbagger
    December 9, 2009 10:29 am

And when Russell Crowe said, “On my command, unleash hell,” he actually backed it up!!!

9. John in the Rocks
    December 9, 2009 10:29 am

One of the best things about people in our dear city is that we really don’t get starstruck. When most of us see Famous Celebrity X, we point out said celebrity to our friends and leave said celebrity alone. We don’t rush up to them and beg for an autograph. We don’t bother them while they’re trying to eat dinner. We pretty much treat them like normal people – this goes for actors and athletes alike. Pittsburgh isn’t New York or LA or London or Miami. I think celebs appreciate that they can come here and not be hounded by the press or the people.

10. Marc
    December 9, 2009 10:54 am

You’re becoming the Tiger Woods of self-united husbands

11. MamaBear
    December 9, 2009 11:02 am

Mayhaps the Steelers should watch that video before tomorrow’s game to be inspired…..

12. Dan (Not Onarato)
    December 9, 2009 11:14 am

@ #11 either watch that video or Gladiator. Something has to light a fire under the Stillers arses!

13. Anna
    December 9, 2009 11:42 am

“Let’s get bums on seats” – I LOVE how he says that!!

December 9, 2009 12:30 pm

I wonder if all of these actors coming to do movies in pittsburgh have learned from siena miller’s asshole-ery.

15. Sooska
    December 9, 2009 1:06 pm

I would wear the red and green.

John Lithgow has had some real nice things to say about the Burgh on twitter as many know.

Are we “IN” now? Is it cool to be in the Burgh now?

16. ErinM
    December 9, 2009 1:10 pm

Tears to my eyes! I love all of this good juju coming our way. It’s about freakin time – no? Even the crews of the movie sets were extra super nice. They used the grounds outside of 2 of my listings during filmings, and were great about letting us know and just being friendly and happy in general. Yeah – Sienna Miller can kiss my Pittsburgh-Proud butt ;)

17. bluzdude
    December 9, 2009 1:39 pm

Domo Arrigato, Mr. Rabbitoh!

18. Tinare
    December 9, 2009 2:56 pm

I like how he says “stadia” sounds so formal and academic.

19. Donncha
    December 9, 2009 3:16 pm

Tinare brings up another thing: nobody who uses a word such as “stadia” should ever speak longer than three minutes. Tops.

20. Steelerslover
    December 9, 2009 3:51 pm

Ohhhhh I love this!! We all knew it was only a matter of time before everyone realized how amazing Pittsburgh is!! :)

21. TheBurghDude
    December 9, 2009 5:36 pm

@unsatisfied… wondered the same thing. I still hate that skinny beoch!

22. gunnlino
    December 9, 2009 5:51 pm

@ John in the Rocks has it right, I worked as an extra during filming of The Next Three Days and had contact w/Mr Crowe on several occasions. He’s a nice guy. Funny and friendly.
    Likes the ‘Burgh and asked about local places to eat and explore.

23. Three
    December 9, 2009 6:12 pm

@Magnus Patris, totally agree with you, and I’d love to find some Rabbitohs swag.

@Ginny: Most NZers (or at least the ones I know) would revoke Crowe’s “Kiwi” status due to his living in Aussieland. Big time rivalry there … think Pgh v. Cleveland x100. Trust me, I say something like “I’d like to visit Australia” around them, and I get a “Wow, I don’t know if I can be your friend anymore” in response. It is, apparently, that intense.

@unsatisfied, I hope more actors DID take a lesson from Siennahole — after all, it’s not a hard lesson to learn.

24. Scott
    December 10, 2009 12:04 pm

This is a REALLY fantastic endorsement of the city. So exciting to have so much buzz (and yes beyond sports too) about this great city!!