Moving mountains.

So many worthy heroes in this world, but for now, for this day, my heroes are the Pittsburgh Penguins who took the time yesterday to shower gifts, smiles, and high-fives on sick kids at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh.

penschildrens6

penschildrens4

penschildrens3

penschildrens5

Superman can suck it because these are the heroes right here.

Imagine those kids’ faces when a nurse walks in one day and hands them a DS or a PSP with their choice of games and it was YOUR money that made it happen.

If you haven’t donated yet to our gift to Make Room for Kids, please consider it.

1. Jtown
    December 9, 2009 8:17 am

I love this team. I love those guys.
    I rarely get teared-up, but..

On a lighter note, could someone NOT translate
    “Hey Geno, let the kid win.”?

2. Jenn
    December 9, 2009 10:36 am

My friend’s four year old son has been in the PICU for the last 6 weeks at Childrens. The smile on his face when Sidney Crosby and Marc Andre brought him a gift was priceless!

It makes me love the Pens even more!!

3. Pensgirl
    December 9, 2009 1:31 pm

I love that they do this every year. Yes, it’s good press for the Pens’ organization, but the players seem to genuinely appreciate that they can do this small thing to make these kids smile and take them out of their illnesses for a short while.

4. MN
    December 9, 2009 1:34 pm

I LOVE THE PENS! They are the classiest organization in the NHL!

5. bluzdude
    December 9, 2009 1:42 pm

This team is so special… always so eager to mingle with fans and kids. Or maybe it’s just hockey players.

Ya done good, guys.

6. Jess
    December 9, 2009 1:55 pm

Superman can definitely suck it.

7. oldgraymare
    December 9, 2009 2:06 pm

There are signs all around town here in Erie that say “some heros don’t wear capes.” I think the penguins…and ginny…fit that!

8. butcher's dog
    December 9, 2009 2:13 pm

The NHL has/had a promotion they called “Humble Heroes”. That fits our boys to a T. I think it has to be the getting up at 4AM to scrape off the car for ice time before school (as opposed to having everyone tell you how exceptional you are if you’re a rising NFL star…or for that matter a Little League baseball hot-shot) that ingrains that mentality.

Regardless, if the Pirates had visited then everyone would have had to don the surgical masks to keep the suckitude from spreading. Just sayin’.

9. Cassie
    December 9, 2009 3:29 pm

I love that they do this. Last year they had to practically drag Talbot out of the building because he wanted to see every kid there. I believe he spent over 8 hours in the building or something. I love those guys so much, and it’s true, it looks like they genuinely have a great time.

LET’S GO PENS!

10. Sooska
    December 9, 2009 3:39 pm

The final 3 photos here further prove the guys aren’t just in it for the publicity and like to visit the kids. Eric Godard and Billy Guerin, 2 of the toughest guys around, wearing tiaras to play with a sick little girl is a win for everyone.

11. Chris
    December 9, 2009 10:23 pm

Sooska…those pics are terrific. Thanks for sharing!