The Numb3r5!

Pittsburgh, this is me, thanking you from the bottom of my heart and also informing you that you have donated to Make Room for Kids …

$13,806.29!

That total might go up a bit after Mike and I get our little auction going over the next few days.

Also, if you haven’t yet seen it, Pittsburgh Business Times talked about Make Room for Kids and featured a photo of elusive butler Mike in action on not one but TWO computers.

He’s [awesome lightsaber moves] like that.

You should see his lair.

It’s where we keep the PittGirl Mobile and all the PittGirl Says Drink! shirts that will never see the light of day.

And speaking of which, note the following from a press release out of Lukey’s office:

The Mayor’s plan to monetize the City’s parking assets is moving forward and the Pittsburgh Parking Authority is currently conducting interviews for a sell-side financial advisor to steer the process.

According to rule #1 , that’s endorsed, and by the power vested in me by Me, Myself, Barack Obama, and I … DRINK!

1. bluzdude
    December 19, 2009 12:08 pm

Who am I to disobey orders from you and the Commander in Chief? Salute!

A drink, in honor of the Storm of the Century! (as they’re calling it here in Baltimore)

2. Still A, Fan
    December 19, 2009 12:24 pm

you know what i couldnt wait to post? i wanted you to post the total first before i made my point….but wasn’t it microsoft that was originally giving the 10k? microsoft? 10k? anybody see an issue there? people who read your blog thought nothing of giving $5, $10, $50, $100. doesn’t gates’ foundation have billions of dollars? i realize it was coming from microsfot but still…10k is a little lite! they sould have given $100k to the winner and $50 to each of the losing hospitals. 10k is more like a prize from a local business. Maybe Microsoft is evil. Check any prizes Apple or Google gives away!!!

December 19, 2009 12:30 pm

Jesus, that is one of the worst-written sentences I have ever seen committed to print, even from government flacks.

“monetize the city’s parking assets”

You mean sell the garages?

“is currently conducting”

You mean “is conducting”? See, “is” being a present-tense verb, it means “right now” i.e., “currently.” My damn radio newscasters do this all the time and it drives me nuts: “It’s currently 21 degrees,” “It’s currently 1:03 p.m.” Right now?

And, of course, “sell-side finanical advisor”

I don’t have a clue what that is.

4. Virginia
    December 19, 2009 12:33 pm

Word, Bucdaddy.

I was like, “WTF is a sell-side financial advisor?”

But I didn’t want to sound stupid. Glad I’m not the only one who watched that one fly over my head at 6,000 mph.

5. Carly
    December 19, 2009 12:50 pm

Its too bad that article didn’t mention Burgh Baby’s Christmas Crazy for Kids…she had an awesome turn out also.

6. Virginia
    December 19, 2009 12:54 pm

I freaking agree, Carly. I mentioned her to the writer and explained how my fundraiser was similar to hers in that we both grew frustrated with online contests and turned to social media to raise the money.

December 19, 2009 12:58 pm

*-financial

8. Carpetbagger
    December 19, 2009 1:38 pm

Raising my wassail punch. Glug, glug, glug…

9. LaReina
    December 19, 2009 7:40 pm

Moving forward, indeed, even in the snow.
    (I just said that to give everyone another excuse to drink).

10. cathy
    December 19, 2009 9:06 pm

Raising my Samichlaus Bier to you!

11. butcher's dog
    December 20, 2009 1:12 pm

I’m not sure what a sell-side financial advisor is, but I think I wanna be one when I grow up.

To Virginia and all…don’t look for any politician to speak in clear, precise English. Since English is a language which communicates in sentences, each of which have a subject and a verb and express a complete thought, it would require the presence of a complete thought before its utterance. And that little requirement leaves out most if not all politicians.

Glad to contribute.

12. Monty
    December 20, 2009 8:25 pm

Translation — They want to sell their parking lots. And they’re trying to hire investment bankers who can go out and find someone to buy them.

Now get back to the funny.

December 20, 2009 9:33 pm

butcher’s dog:

Really?

14. Bojack
    December 20, 2009 9:51 pm

Translation-

The 2-bit idiots we keep electing are selling OUR
    parking lots!!!

We, the current owners (residents, taxpayers) will now have to pay much higher fees to park in the lotsWE
    used to own because WEkeep electing corrupt, incompetent idiots!!!!

15. Marc
    December 20, 2009 10:51 pm

On behalf of Children’s Hospital and the kids, we really appreciate what you and your readers did for us. Now we can move forward with this game room!

16. Politicalpartypooper
    December 21, 2009 8:27 am

I’m so glad to see you are feeling better. Welcome back to health.

Now, we need to talk about your Steelers. They couldn’t have waited one more week to win? Ben Rothlesberger (I don’t even care if I’m not spelling it correctly) couldn’t have thrown that last pass away? Are you kidding me?

Your Steelers beat my Packers…you know…the only team endorsed by God?

For their transgression, the Steelers will now have to suffer a SIX game losing streak next season. All because they had to have just a tiny bit of instant gratification, and beat the poor, defenseless, small-town Green Bay Packers.

What a game!

17. 7000th Nerd Girl
    December 21, 2009 8:27 am

>>bucdaddy, the “currently” is used as a formal replacement for “really”, as in “it’s really 28 degrees” or whatever.>>

Aha. Then, mentally replace all of those “currently”s with “srsly”. Much more entertaining.

(also woo-hoo for the drive, of course. :) )

18. Burgh Baby
    December 21, 2009 4:40 pm

@Carly and @Virgina–An editor cut it out of the story. I tried to give meh peeps the props they most definitely deserve. :-(

19. Pingback: Pittsburgh Girlie » City of Champions