- December 23, 2009
- filed under Ben Roethlisberger, David Conrad, Hot Burghers, Pirates, Steelers, Troy Polamalu
1. I thought I was the only one who still had Christmas shopping to do, until I went to Target at 8:30 this morning to find the place packed with frantic shoppers, one of who managed to accidentally smack me with an ironing board.
Next year, I’m going to have all of my Christmas shopping done by July, stop laughing.
2. A celebrity has died and that of course means the national media turns to Pittsburgh’s own Cyril Wecht for insight.
He appeared on the Early Show, spoke with Access Hollywood, and even was called “the Lebron James of pathologists” by one of my most fave sites, What Would Tyler Durden Do. Go read the phrase immediately after the Lebron James one.
LOL and “EW!”
3. Check the first letter in Cat Specter’s latest Cat’s Call at the PG.
My favorite parts:
It seems that women today are overly competitive, materialistic, trashy, deceitful, hypocritical, willing to cut somebody’s throat or stab anybody’s back to gain the slightest advantage, and they have unrealistic standards. Meanwhile they are less or no better than the standards they set. I am confident, educated, good looking, physically fit, clean cut, ethical and gainfully employed, so I don’t really see that the problem lies in me. Your call? — GREAT CATCH
Clearly this guy bought the Mirror Mirror on the Wall mirror because I can 100% guarantee HE is the problem and I can 50% guarantee he has a few restraining orders out on him.
4. Here’s an ESPN article filled with interesting facts about the Steelers uniform quirks. The most interesting to me was this one:
Troy Polamalu’s long hair usually obscures the rear-neckline area of his jersey. So it might surprise you to learn that he has a little cross embroidered right above his nameplate. That’s a major violation of NFL uni regulations, but the league’s position is that it’s OK because it’s usually covered by his hair. (Translation: “We reeeaaaallly don’t want to get involved in a controversy about religious expression.”)
You guys know how much I love Troysus, but I must ask: Why is Troysus allowed to keep his cross when Benny wasn’t allowed to keep his PFJ?
That doesn’t seem very fair considering the obvious religious symbolism of the cross versus the innocuousness of three letters that only mean something to Benny.
Look at me all defending the Duke and look at that there flying pig.
(h/t John, Daniel, Phoebe, Pittsburgh Tom, and Different Brian)
5. Buccos of Suckitude pitcher Ross Ohlendorf is spending this off-season as an UNPAID intern with the USDA, working to track cow diseases.
You can’t make this shit up, people.
6. Pittsburgh’s and my own David Conrad, who I am still mad at by the way, recently celebrated 100 episodes of Ghost Whisperer with a cake.
If you’re like me and everything about that show gives you the heebie jeebies, stare at that kid long enough and he will creep you out.
Like MacCauley Caulkin in The Good Son.
7. Speaking of David, who I am still very very mad at, he will be narrating Copland’s A Lincoln Portrait on April 11 at the Carnegie Music Hall.
I will be there. Awaiting his begging of my forgiveness.