Randon n’at

1. I thought I was the only one who still had Christmas shopping to do, until I went to Target at 8:30 this morning to find the place packed with frantic shoppers, one of who managed to accidentally smack me with an ironing board.

Next year, I’m going to have all of my Christmas shopping done by July, stop laughing.

2.  A celebrity has died and that of course means the national media turns to Pittsburgh’s own Cyril Wecht for insight.

He appeared on the Early Show, spoke with Access Hollywood, and even was called “the Lebron James of pathologists” by one of my most fave sites, What Would Tyler Durden Do.  Go read the phrase immediately after the Lebron James one.

Trust me.

LOL and “EW!”

3.  Check the first letter in Cat Specter’s latest Cat’s Call at the PG.

My favorite parts:

It seems that women today are overly competitive, materialistic, trashy, deceitful, hypocritical, willing to cut somebody’s throat or stab anybody’s back to gain the slightest advantage, and they have unrealistic standards. Meanwhile they are less or no better than the standards they set. I am confident, educated, good looking, physically fit, clean cut, ethical and gainfully employed, so I don’t really see that the problem lies in me. Your call? — GREAT CATCH

Clearly this guy bought the Mirror Mirror on the Wall mirror because I can 100% guarantee HE is the problem and I can 50% guarantee he has a few restraining orders out on him.

4.    Here’s an ESPN article filled with interesting facts about the Steelers uniform quirks.  The most interesting to me was this one:

Troy Polamalu’s long hair usually obscures the rear-neckline area of his jersey. So it might surprise you to learn that he has a little cross embroidered right above his nameplate. That’s a major violation of NFL uni regulations, but the league’s position is that it’s OK because it’s usually covered by his hair. (Translation: “We reeeaaaallly don’t want to get involved in a controversy about religious expression.”)

You guys know how much I love Troysus, but I must ask:  Why is Troysus allowed to keep his cross when Benny wasn’t allowed to keep his PFJ?

That doesn’t seem very fair considering the obvious religious symbolism of the cross versus the innocuousness of three letters that only mean something to Benny.

Look at me all defending the Duke and look at that there flying pig.

(h/t John, Daniel, Phoebe, Pittsburgh Tom, and Different Brian)

5.  Buccos of Suckitude pitcher Ross Ohlendorf is spending this off-season as an UNPAID intern with the USDA, working to track cow diseases.

You can’t make this shit up, people.

(h/t JennViolet)

6.  Pittsburgh’s and my own David Conrad, who I am still mad at by the way, recently celebrated 100 episodes of Ghost Whisperer with a cake.

If you’re like me and everything about that show gives you the heebie jeebies, stare at that kid long enough and he will creep you out.

Like MacCauley Caulkin in The Good Son.

(h/t Carile)

7.  Speaking of David, who I am still very very mad at, he will be narrating Copland’s A Lincoln Portrait on April 11 at the Carnegie Music Hall.

I will be there.  Awaiting his begging of my forgiveness.

(h/t Karyn)

1. PG Wodehouse
    December 23, 2009 11:46 am

You must have gone back to his rookie year to find that picture.

2. jennviolet
    December 23, 2009 11:55 am

Regarding #3 – That letter to Cat sounds like it was submitted by that psycho LA Fitness shooter. Has his craziness all over it. *shudder*

3. Pensgirl
    December 23, 2009 12:10 pm

1. At least that makes sense, unlike my weird experience. Sunday I went to a Baltimore mall to buy winter boots (yes, a day late, I know). The traffic on the way and the parking lot were both messy with crazed people I assumed to be last-minute shoppers, but the mall itself was pretty quiet. So, where do people go when they drive to the mall and park at the mall but aren’t IN the mall?

2. EW! Also, [insert Mary Beth Buchanan joke here].

3. You nailed that one Ginny. That guy is the reason I roll my eyes at any dude who complains that women don’t like “nice guys.” Man, woman, gay, straight, the people who really are catches do not label the entire population from which they’re searching as “materialistic, trashy, deceitful,” etc. And anyone with good cause to label a series of previous dates as such simply has piss-poor taste in people!

4. aDerek
    December 23, 2009 12:12 pm

#3 – Agree with Jennvioet. That was the first thing that came to my mind. Creepy

#6 & 7 – Did anyone else see David Conrad on the news the other night? He was being interviwed “man on the street” style about the ground collapse in the Strip last Thursday. I was flipping through channels, didn’t recognize him, but thought “holy crap, you have to be one really good-looking dude to look hot in a local news street interview!” Then he was identified and I was all “OK, thank god he’s not an actual human being, but some preturnatural hotness creature”. My little mind was almost blown.

5. aDerek
    December 23, 2009 12:19 pm

Oh, and also, Ginny, why are you mad at David Conrad? I read back through tagged posts and couldn’t figure it out.

6. Virginia
    December 23, 2009 12:24 pm

Oh, I am mad at him because I emailed him to ask him if he would be in town during my Make Room for Kids fundraiser, and he never responded, when usually he emails me right back.

So POO ON HIM!

But not really, because I TOTALLY STILL LOVE HIM! :)

7. red pen mama
    December 23, 2009 12:26 pm

Maybe Ben is growing those extra chins to cover something on his uniform.

ciao,
    rpm

8. Melvin
    December 23, 2009 12:28 pm

J.Love looks unbelievably hot in that pic

9. Virginia
    December 23, 2009 12:29 pm

red pen mama wins.

10. Cyril Wecht
    December 23, 2009 12:40 pm

That’s BS. I am rolling in QP. Premium stank on my hang low.

11. eileen
    December 23, 2009 12:57 pm

Cyril (I have to use every big word I know in one sentence) Wecht talks to hear himself talk.I watch him in interviews and think to myself WTF is he talking about!
    The thought of that old tan leather skin naked. Ewwww

12. Sam Abernethy
    December 23, 2009 1:11 pm

red pen mama wins teh internet!

Also, maybe they aren’t messing with Troysus’ cross because they’ve seen him tackle. Maybe they mess with Ben because they know just about anyone can sack him.

13. Pittsburgh Tom
    December 23, 2009 1:14 pm

I love it when Cyril Wecht makes the news cause my dad looks enough like Cyril to get mistakened for him. Now even more people will walk up to my dad and insist he`s Cyril Wecht.

14. Katie
    December 23, 2009 1:33 pm

awww be nice to Ross. Of course he took an unpaid internship during the off-season. He needs to develop new skills so he can have a successful career…in something other than baseball.

15. mis
    December 23, 2009 1:37 pm

The Good Son – one of the most disturbing movies ever!

16. Sooska
    December 23, 2009 1:48 pm

#5. seems to me that is of some future use for society’s health. sure beats when the New York Rangers Sean Avery (is he the guy who wrote in to Cat’s Call?) did an internship for Vogue a couple summers ago. “This one’s been, I’d say, the most exciting off-season I’ve had,” Ohlendorf told ABC News. That poor guy has lead a really sheltered life, Princeton or not. No wonder he’s a BoS.

*snork* to red pen mama LMAO

December 23, 2009 1:50 pm

2. Ginny, If you’ve come as far as WWTDD, perhaps you’d like to come just a little farther … a little closer … to the dark side:

You’d fit right in. Trust me.

4. By coincidence, last night I was in Cumberland, Md., eating at a barbecue place called When Pigs Fly. Hella pork BBQ sammich there.

18. mfj
    December 24, 2009 10:10 am

#3. Actually, my first thought was Scott Priester.

19. Matt
    December 24, 2009 2:14 pm

#3 — The best part of the letter was Cat’s cheery advice to Mr. Perfect, which you didn’t reprint: “. . . your perspective isn’t mature. Use the new year to start dating with a clean slate.” He also needs a team of psychiatrists and a GPS tracking bracelet so his ex-girlfriends know his whereabouts. I don’t think a restraining order is sufficient.

20. Karyn
    December 24, 2009 3:21 pm

I read the mention about David Conrad and the Lincoln Portrait reading. I’m going along and saw the h/t Karyn and totally screamed “she said my name.”

Yes, I am a dork. And I think my husband lost a little respect for me.

My friend and I will be going as well (tickets have been purchased). We would be happy to make sure David apologizes to you.

21. Pitts_Gal
    February 27, 2010 11:44 am

Hey Ginny, what is David’s email? I sent him a letter and never got a response either…