Adam Frey 1986-2009

If you’ve been reading my blog for a few years, you might remember Adam Frey of Pittsburgh.

He was a Cornell wrestler in his 20s when medical treatment he received after a car accident revealed a 12-lb cancerous tumor in his body.  I wrote about his fight against cancer and I was joyous when it seemed he beat it.

Unfortunately, Adam lost — well, I hate to use the word “lost” because he fought so long and so hard and did so much good by starting the Adam Frey Foundation that it certainly doesn’t seem like he lost, so let’s just say Adam died the day after Christmas at Shady Side Hospital.

The interesting thing about Adam was how raw the emotions were that he exposed on his blog.  It was hard to read him talk about how much he just wanted to get married and have children.  It was hard to read him tell us the cancer came back. It was hard to read about the hell he put his body through in the hopes of killing the cancer before it got to him. But he put it all out there for us to read and he continually kept his eyes gazing upward.

And like Randy Pausch, once the cancer really truly set sights on taking him, it went so fast.  One week Adam was writing about getting back on the wrestling mat and then two weeks later, he is gone.

But he won’t soon be forgotten.

Well fought, Adam.

(h/t Jill and Beth)

1. GoBobbo
    December 28, 2009 10:10 am

Adam was a fighter. I kept updated with his blog ever since you shared it with us. So sad to see cancer take him. :(

2. Sue
    December 28, 2009 10:26 am

I, also, followed his blog after reading about him on your site. He fought a courageous battle and has been an inspiration to many people. May he rest in peace.

3. LaReina
    December 28, 2009 10:44 am

What a legacy of courage.

December 28, 2009 10:47 am

This puts me in an interesting position. I guess technically I am a cancer “survivor” now, except the cancer I had (“classic seminoma” is what it says on the lab report) was easily removable and it’s probably gone, though I am most likely going to do a round of easy chemo just to be certain, and then make regular visits to the cancer doctor.

But in light of people like Adam here, and Dr. Pausch, I would be embarrassed to suggest we have anything in common, or that what I’ve gone through is remotely as awful and terrifying as what they went through. Kind of like if I played rec league baseball and then met one of the Yankees and said, “Hey, my man! We have a lot in common, we’re both ballplayers!”

So why did I get off easy, at 52, with my bad diet and my lazy-ass habits and my beer, and cancer is a such a bitch to a strong, healthy young man of 23? Or innocent little kids?

Stuff like this (and people of strong faith to whom God grants a life long enough to spend the last 10 years of it drooling in their soup) makes me question my faith, it really does. I’m not sure what I believe any more.

Effing cancer.

5. gunnlino
    December 28, 2009 10:57 am

On both those sad losses: Count your blessings, love your kids and
    do something good for someone you don’t know. Just because.

6. MN
    December 28, 2009 12:33 pm

To bucdaddy:

We were not created to live a blessed-from-all-tragedy life here on earth…we were created to glorify God. Adam certainly has done that in countless ways and now he is at home with his Savior in heaven, living in true glory!

7. Bojack
    December 28, 2009 12:34 pm

A courageous man.

Really puts things into proper perspective.

8. Kathy
    December 28, 2009 4:34 pm

Wow. Was moved to tears in reading some of the things on that site, especially the recent post from Adam’s mom where she posted the letter from one of Adam’s friends — wow. What an incredibly amazing person Adam was. Thank you for sharing.

9. Great Scot
    December 29, 2009 12:22 am

I too started following his blog after reading about him and Dr. Pausch on your blog. Reading about how Adam went back to school and tried to wrestle again and then he went down fighting was just sad. I hope that he was able to make some peace with his father before he died but when he wrote, it was just raw emotion.

10. Michael Armbrust
    December 29, 2009 7:28 pm

I think Adam should be added to the list of Awesome, and HOT burgers. It’s a sad day, may he find the peace now that he struggled for in life.

11. Amy
    January 4, 2010 11:05 am

Adam was a friend of my brother – they knew each other threw wrestling. My brother was devasted when he heard the news… A truly courageous young man, Adam will not be forgotten.