For Kate and Peter

(photo from Amy’s blog)

Yes, my hand was to God that my next post would be about cats.

Well, my NEXT post will be about cats because I wanted to get this up first.

Amy of the Callapitter blog is featured in today’s Post-Gazette and I can’t recall the last time someone was so deserving of the attention.

Please note that Amy is working to memorialize her children through a future park.  Amy tells me the park is going to be as unique as her children.  I’ve assured her that we, meaning you and I, will do everything we can to help her.

The article ends with these words of Amy’s:

“Unfortunately, I know in my rational mind that there is no going back, no unwishing, no undoing,” she wrote. “The only way out of this is through it. Ugh.”

To donate to Kate and Peter’s Playground, send checks to the “Kate and Peter Ambrusko Memorial Fund” to the Environmental Charter School at Frick Park, 829 Milton St., Pittsburgh, PA 15218.

I’m counting on Pittsburgh to continue lifting Amy up and holding her up and helping her THROUGH it.  And I’m counting on all of us to help her get this playground built, because even Amy agrees, as you see in her list of things she’s thankful for:

Moving to Pittsburgh, which I am convinced is the best place in the world to live!

That’s church.

(h/t a different Amy)

1. GoBobbo
    December 31, 2009 9:42 am

Is it possible to donate online? I’d love to see Burghers go wild with donations for Amy and her children.

2. northerngirl
    December 31, 2009 10:12 am

I just finished reading this in the ppg and then went to your blog next only to see the kids’ faces! I’m so glad you spotlighted this. Now to put the Square Cafe on my regular list of restaurants since they are accepting donations for this playground. Just have to find it!

3. AmyLa
    December 31, 2009 10:17 am

Square Cafe is awesome – right on the main drag in Regent Square. I think I’ll make stop there this weekend, too!

4. Politicalpartypooper
    December 31, 2009 10:47 am

Virginia,

This is the kind of project that might be greatly sped along its way to completion by a PayPal Donate button for those who are online. I personally have never done one, but I have donated using the button, and from what I’ve heard, response for this kind of project is usually pretty amazing.

Just a suggestion.

5. Mia
    December 31, 2009 12:03 pm

There is an organization called KaBoom that builds community playgrounds. They don’t pay for the playground but assists with the actual build- and the playground is built by community members in one day. They might be able to help with this.

6. Summer
    December 31, 2009 12:27 pm

Ka-Boom! is a great way to get grants, as well. You can also apply for grants through the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, as well as other private foundations that exist in the city.

And who better to help find grant money than you, Ginny? After working at NEED for so long, you probably know the ropes pretty well.

Of course, a Paypal donate button here on the site would be awesome, too. Maybe the Lemieux Foundation would be willing to help direct the money this time as well.

7. CarolineFB
    December 31, 2009 8:33 pm

I’ll say it again–

It’s Pittsburgh. Just ask. Or, add a PayPal button to your site.

8. Carley
    January 1, 2010 10:07 pm

Thank you again for putting Amy’s blog out there. She deserves so much more from the universe and Peter and Kate will do what they can to nudge us in her direction. I guess some could say they did when they got you on board by linking her blog to yours. Pittsburgh is a fantastic place to live and raise a family. Amy took those two around the city, opened their eyes to what it had to offer. Now it’s time for the city they loved to give back to them.