Random n’at.

1.  It is January. It is snowing.  This is Pittsburgh.  I do love snow.  I do love winter. BUT THIS IS A LOT OF WINTER HAPPENING RIGHT NOW!

Wah.

And Mr. Jeff Verszyla isn’t helping matters what with his gloomy twitter tweets.  Read from the bottom up:

Wah.

Okay, I’ll stop.  But seriously. WAH!

My left breast for a drop of sunshine.

2.  I just realized that while I won “Best Blog” this year in the City Paper poll, they never invited me to the party at the Rex for the winners.

SNUBBED!

[shakes cute little fist]

But if you voted for me, thank you!

3.  Here’s something I HAVE been invited to attend.  I was nominated by Coro-Pittsburgh for the Martin Luther King Jr. Leadership Award.

First, it’s ridiculously flattering and unexpected and I AM SO NOT WORTHY.

Second, if you take a look at the dinner and selection committees, you will understand how VERY interesting this will be.  Filled with former NEED board members and friends of NEED and also the Mayor and Dan Onorato and lots of important people, some of whom I’m sure that when they say the word “blogger” they say it like this “blog[gag]er.”

But show up I will.  With my head held high.  With my husband at my side.  And I’m going to shove my face up against someone’s boobs so that the Post-Gazette will take my picture and it will have the caption of “Blogger formerly know as PittGirl, Virginia Montanez, wearing early 2000s TJ-Maxx.  And a scarf.”

I kid, but really, it is quite an honor, especially considering how much good Coro does.

If you are going to be there, too, please come talk to me!

Here’s what I’ll be doing:

That picture was taken at the ESPRIT event by Mr. Bill Peduto.

Jim Lokay and Bill really are good sports, yinz guys.

4.  Here’s a fun little app for your iPhone or iTouch:  YinzBar!

Find a friendly black and gold-painted face where ever your travels take you!

5.  Next Saturday is the Mascot Skate at Schenley Park should you wish to take your braver children.

I won’t be there because my daughter would kick those mascots in their respective junks if they came near her. And then as they fell to the ice, she would go ninja and slit their throats with her skate before asking me for a juice box.

Can’t say I blame her because that is a seriously scary-looking group of furries.

Also, I can’t freaking believe Steely Freaking McBeam is still freaking alive.

I would pay good money to see Kenny the Kangaroo take his punk ass out with a few well placed upper cuts. To the junk.

(h/t Susan and Dawn)

6.  Kelly Frey and her husband brought Baby Bennett to Kelly’s first day back on the air and there’s a video in which the cutie pie muffin opens his eyes and cutes all over the dang place. CUTE! And miraculous.

See.  Miracles really do happen, which gives me hope that one day I’ll get my miracle.

You know, coming out of the grocery store to find that Secret Agent L has tied Daniel Sepulveda to the hood of my car.

(h/t Toni)

1. bluzdude
    January 6, 2010 1:17 pm

It’s obvious why you were snubbed for the City Paper Awards… They knew that there would be a huge crowd around you, and all the other winners would be all “oh, nobody likes me”.

2. Sean
    January 6, 2010 1:52 pm

What is the mascot in the front left of the picture? Is this what it looked like before or after your daughter got to him/her?

January 6, 2010 2:07 pm

3. You’re doing it all wrong. The traditional gesture when in the presence of people who fired you and people who don’t like you is to place the thumb to the tip of the nose and spread the fingers and waggle waggle waggle. Unless fingertip-to-nose is some kind of Mexican “F*** you!” sign I’m unaware of.

And don’t sweat the MLK award. If Obama can get a Peace Prize … Just accept it with humility and crib from his Oslo speech.

1. Ahem (sings): You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
    You make me happy when it snows like f***
    You’ll never know, Gin, how I love sloe gin,
    I’ll be your sunshine and drive a salt truck.

So … how may I claim this “left breast”?

5. *blinks*

Are there TWO Steelys or is the one in the middle that awful Pirate of Suckitude?

And if that’s the Mountaineer on the far left, maybe I can get her to take off Steely’s McBeam with one well-placed musket ball.

Y’all will owe me.

4. Sooska
    January 6, 2010 2:27 pm

5. Where is Iceburgh? or was he the one who took that picture? (Iceburgh=new name for this whoel frozen region)

1. if we are going to repeat the winter of 1977-78 Look the EFF Out! I am telling you, people were Xcountry skiing in Highland Park to Oakland and all over the east end due to massive snows. That January ’78 we had 12+ inches of snow on 2 successive Mondays. Mush.

5. Kelli
    January 6, 2010 2:39 pm

I believe the mascot to the left that resembles Steely is actually the Robert Morris Colonial.

6. butcher's dog
    January 6, 2010 2:40 pm

Better qualify that whole left breast/sunshine thing. I’m currently in a southern city (on the water known for golf) and the sun is shining constantly. And the wind is blowing constantly. And the temp hasn’t gotten to 45 yet in the week we’ve been here. Not looking for sympathy, ’cause it beats hell out of Western PA. It’s just that Ginny may want to put some fine print on that sunshine offer.

Sooska beat me to wondering where Iceburg is. In any kind of skating event, he wins. No doubt here.

OK, let me get this straight. Steelers don’t have cheerleaders…why? A matter of taste? Maybe. But we do have Steely. Doesn’t compute to me. And cheerleaders don’t have to be cheesy, either. Pens Spirit Squad are cute, modestly dressed (by “standards” shown in pics yesterday, for sure!), and add to the general ambiance when they need to. We all could use more of that.

7. Dan (Not Onarato)
    January 6, 2010 2:52 pm

Let me be the first to say…F-U Al Gore…Global warming my arse!

8. Erin
    January 6, 2010 2:58 pm

So who’s cuter – Kelly Frey’s baby or her husband? Adorable!

9. Valerie
    January 6, 2010 3:05 pm

That baby is such a miracle, and Kelly and Jason seem like wonderful people. Continued prayers to their family!

10. Betoon
    January 6, 2010 3:41 pm

First I think you should do the “Seen” column for the PG – then I might actually read it without wanting to bite someone. And second, my son used to hate two things, clowns and Chuckie Cheese. We thought we had him under control till he went postal and bit Chuckie Cheese. I think sending mascot loathing children to these events would benefit all of us!

11. Michelle
    January 6, 2010 3:49 pm

I keep looking at the picture of all the mascots and I don’t see Iceburgh in the bunch. Am I just missing it? And if I’m not, why isn’t the mascot for our profession ICE hockey team not participating in the mascot skate?

I’m so confused…

12. Kristie
    January 6, 2010 4:00 pm

Maybe I’m just old but, I don’t even know who half of these mascots are. Like, what’s with the freaky spotted thing next to Ronald McDonald? Or the green & yellow monster next to Steely McBeam?

13. AModelCitizen
    January 6, 2010 4:12 pm

@ butcher’s dog:
    i think i’m in the same city. what’s worse? I got shipped to Miami for work for a week. It broke records here this morning, a low of 36 in some areas. again, not looking for sympathy, but this is south, SOUTH florida for gods sake.

oh well, god willing I’ll be freezing my n#ts off in the burgh here soon (and permanently)

14. Beth
    January 6, 2010 4:25 pm

Jim Lokay is awesome!

15. Secret Agent L
    January 6, 2010 4:56 pm

i’ll see what i can do for you, lovely. i’ll see what i can do.

off to be sneaky and secret agent-y…

xoxo,
    s.a.l.

16. mfj
    January 6, 2010 5:02 pm

#1. Bastardi is the perfect name for a Pennsylvania weather forecaster.

17. Pensgirl
    January 6, 2010 5:03 pm

I too immediately noticed the lack of Iceburgh in that photo (big surprise, right?). Looks like you’re not the only one who is not being invited to things, Ginny.

Also, I am really curious as to why the Pitt Panther is hiding behind that owl.

18. Politicalpartypooper
    January 6, 2010 5:28 pm

Congratulations on your nomination.

Who was Martin Luther King jr.?

:D

19. Gina
    January 6, 2010 5:30 pm

I don’t know who a lot of these mascots are, but what I do know is this: Somehow, without even having a face to make expressions with, that owl looks seriously pissed to be there.

20. S
    January 6, 2010 6:16 pm

@ Dan (Not Onarato)

I agree. Screw Al Gore and his global warming. I think he used up all his good ideas inventing the internet!

Btw, I get laugh out of your “name” everytime

January 6, 2010 6:55 pm

the snow and the mascots can just eat my ass.

22. Bojack
    January 6, 2010 7:11 pm

Virginia,

Can you PLEEZ ask Lukey and Dan Onorous

WHERE THE F*** OUR $16 MILLION G20 dough is??????

23. Joe K.
    January 6, 2010 7:14 pm

My Serbian uncle used to say it always snows on Real Christmas: January 7th. Looks like we’re in for a fresh 2″ tomorrow. I don’t have any stats to back it up, but it does often seem like it’s snowier on Jan. 7 than on Dec. 25.

24. Bojack
    January 6, 2010 7:37 pm

Virginia,

I’m SERIOUS!!!!!!!!!

Ask them!!! We NEED the dough!!!

NONE, not ONE of our meek and kool-aid swilling print and
    TV “jpurnalists” have the cajones to ask such an important
    and SIMPLE question!!!

Just say, in your sweetest voice- “Your honor, Mr. County executive-

WHERE THE F*** IS OUR $16 MILLION??????? WE NEED IT!!!!

25. tehamy
    January 6, 2010 7:50 pm

Baby Bennett is so freaking adorable!! I just want to reach through my monitor and give those little cheeks a pinch!

26. Pa-pop
    January 6, 2010 10:02 pm

butcher’s dog: If you haven’t already seen this, the late Phil Musick succinctly explained in a PG column nearly 31 years ago why the Stillers don’t have cheerleaders. It’s a great line: “… the Steelers abandoned cheerleaders 20 years ago because the players liked them better than football.” LMFAO

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10006/1026007-66.stm#ixzz0btLFgDUC

27. TheJim
    January 6, 2010 10:58 pm

The mascot skate picture is terrifying.

28. CarolineFB
    January 6, 2010 11:26 pm

I’m sensing a theme to your blog posts lately–bewbs!
    I gave my left breast just so I could get a loving squeeze from Steely McBeam. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it (today anyway). :D

29. Big John
    January 7, 2010 12:15 am

Steely needs a new name – Iron Myron!

30. Steelman
    January 7, 2010 1:02 am

Do you think God is just having fun with Al Gore and his disciples of global warming? However, it is not funny that Mr. Gore has become very, very wealthy peddling junk science.

31. Bojack
    January 7, 2010 6:14 am

@ Steelman-

Bravo!!
    And the Tennessee scam-artist isn’t alone, $$BILLIONS of scam money!!

But, from the USA!!

India, China, smart Western Europe not buying this load of horseshit!!

PLEEZ, “bad science” is too euphemistic!!

FRAUD ON A MASSIVE SCALE is much more accurate!!

Speaking of fraud, you heard it from me in Sept, watch Lukey dance with the snow removal costs, and make pleas for whoring our last assets!!

Good morning!! :-)

32. Bojack
    January 7, 2010 6:16 am

PS- re: last comment:

$16 MILLION (gone) G20 money – no $$ for snow removal, salt = Lukey tears and pleas!! LOL

33. PG Wodehouse
    January 7, 2010 7:44 am

In addition to giving your left breast for a drop of sunshine, do you also give tit for tat?

34. butcher's dog
    January 7, 2010 8:26 am

Thanks, pa-poop. RIP Phil Musick. I always enjoyed reading him back in the day. Seems as though his Dallas/Pittsburgh contrasts apply even more today than they did back then.

35. Nick
    January 7, 2010 9:02 am

Where are the pierogis?

36. Amanda
    January 7, 2010 9:50 am

I’m still trying to decide who is cuter, Bennett, or Kelly Frey’s hunk of a husband!

37. Jen
    January 7, 2010 10:06 am

What about Jim Lokay as one of your hot Burghers?

38. Johnaz6312
    January 7, 2010 10:37 am

Did I mention it has been 72 degrees during the day here in AZ, also plenty of sunshine as well!

39. tw
    January 7, 2010 11:01 am

Okay…you may all think I’m crazy, but I’m so jealous of your snow! I’ve been transplanted to Reading, Pa and we have no snow. The kids can’t even use their new sleds. I remember way back in my kiddie years when I consistently had snow up to my knees as I sledded the entire winter season. Ahhhh…memories. Enjoy your snow people!

40. pgc
    January 7, 2010 2:02 pm

that super cute photo of you struck me immediately as looking like a very familiar background, and it’s because I’m there right now-I work there- the Pittsburgh Glass Center! I thought- when was Ginny at PGC?! Then I scrolled down and saw the caption and I remembered that event was here and you were a celebrity bartender…and just got bummed that I wasn’t here then. Hope you enjoyed it and will visit us again :)

41. scott r priester
    January 7, 2010 4:27 pm

Award for leadership? I guess leadership has a drastically new meaning these days.

42. Bojack
    January 7, 2010 9:55 pm

Hey Scott-

BLOW ME!!!!!!

43. Pittsburgh Steel Man
    February 4, 2010 3:15 pm

I had a great time at the 2010 Citiparks Schenley Park Mascot Skate representing Pittsburgh Steel Man, Industrial Media, Inc. Unfortunately, for the third year in a row, I missed getting in the group picture. This year the kids once again mobbed me for balloons so I was late for the event picture again. But, admittedly, the other balloon artist was much better than me so I better stick to my day job. Oh well, maybe next year I’ll try harder to get in the group picture with the rest of the mascots, though, technically, I am “SteelMan, Pittsburgh’s Official SuperHero” so a picture with the mascots may not be necessary.
    I hope to see you all at the 2010 Pittsburgh Comicon in April where I will debut my second SteelMan Comic Book:
    SteelMan No.2 “Justice Above”
    Take care all,
    Pittsburgh SteelMan
    “Now that is what I call shameless self promotion”