Yvonne Zanos died.

(source)

I hate cancer.  OMG.  I HATE IT SO MUCH.

I hate the sound of it; I hate the way it’s spelled; I hate what it does to strong, beautiful bodies; I hate that it takes away the best of humans. I hate the long goodbye.

It took my grandmother at a young age.  It took so many dear family friends.  It took away a young mother who never smoked a day in her life yet who died from lung cancer.  It took away John Challis and Randy Pausch and Adam Frey and I bet at least ten people in your life. And I bet it is currently in the process of attacking at least two people in your life.

This morning it took Yvonne Zanos, the incredibly perky consumer reporter at KDKA who has been on our TVs since 1977, which is why you feel like you grew up with her.

Who didn’t like Yvonne Zanos?  How could you not like her?  And my God, she was 60!  60!  Please, baby Jesus, can I look as awesome when I’m 60?!

I hate that I have to say this again so soon after Adam Frey, but rest in peace, Yvonne.

[shakes cute but very very angry fist at cancer]

1. John in the Rocks
    January 8, 2010 11:42 am

RIP, Yvonne. You will be missed.

2. Sooska
    January 8, 2010 11:43 am

Cancer took my dad.

I saw this news this morning and was shocked. I recalled seeing her on KDKA over the holidays and thought she looked thin and a little more aged than she normally looked. I did wonder about it but didn’t think THIS. How sad.

3. Jessica @ How Sweet
    January 8, 2010 11:51 am

I hate it, too. Who doesn’t? SO sad.

January 8, 2010 11:52 am

I remember way back when she started on “evening magazine” (along with rudy giuliani’s ex-wife donna hanover) on kdka 30 years ago. she was an institution and judging from seeing on tv since her diagnosis, you’d never know that she was suffering from this terrible disease.

RIP, yvonne.

(btw — thanks for posting that awesome pic.)

5. Pensgirl
    January 8, 2010 11:55 am

I was totally shocked when I read the news this morning. Since I don’t live in Pgh anymore, I never saw/heard that she even had cancer. And I still saw reports by her when I’d be home for visits so I never had cause to wonder.

Even only seeing her on TV you knew she was an awesome person. This totally bites.

6. ErinPatricia
    January 8, 2010 12:07 pm

I watched Evening Magazine with my Grandma when I was a kid…

I always loved her, she seemed like such a nice woman, someone who would just be so happy to simply meet you.

Watching the noon newa on KDKA is heartbreaking right now, you can hear the tears in everyones voice.

7. Bojack
    January 8, 2010 12:13 pm

One of my heroes. :-(

8. Magnus Patris
    January 8, 2010 12:15 pm

After being in DC for 22 years and coming back 2 years ago, I was amazed that Patrice King Brown and Yvonne Zanos still looked so HAWT! I remember Yvonne from Evening Magazine, too. (Dave Durian, Donna Hanover; and wasn’t Jon Burnett brought in there too?) She always looked like she was happy and loved her job, and we loved watching her. KDKA and “Does It Really Do That” won’t be the same without her.

January 8, 2010 12:31 pm

@ magnus — not sure jon did “EM”, but he did do “pittsburgh 2day” with patrice.

and, I echo your sentiments on patrice. I saw her not too long ago in the hollywood video store in cranberry — still rockin’.

10. Devin
    January 8, 2010 12:37 pm

I’m 18, and cancer took my dad a little over a month ago. This is such terrible news for PIttsburgh. I agree…cancer SUCKS.

11. Devin
    January 8, 2010 12:38 pm

12. Joe K.
    January 8, 2010 12:41 pm

Both of my parents had cancer. RIP.

13. chrys
    January 8, 2010 12:46 pm

cancer sucks… I kinda teared up a bit when I saw this on the news today. I feel like she has been on TV my whole life. I remember Evening Magazine.. I remember her doing the consumer stories on the news. R.I.P. Prayers to her friends and family. She will be missed.

14. Erin
    January 8, 2010 12:46 pm

I loved her. Peace to you, Yvonne.

15. No Princesses Here
    January 8, 2010 12:57 pm

On Wednesday I found out that a 4th person in my life is battling cancer. I think that at least one of them is dealing with the news better than I am. F cancer.

16. cathy
    January 8, 2010 1:05 pm

Makes me so sad….

17. LaReina
    January 8, 2010 1:05 pm

Sad news. She was a good reporter and, by all accounts, a good person. May God comfort her family.

18. Ed
    January 8, 2010 1:16 pm

I didn’t know Yvonne Zanos was 60, or that she had cancer, so this came as a shock to me as well. I probably should have known her age, but I got the habit from my parents of only watching one local channel for years at a time for news, so I lose track of reporters for other channels.

I’ve heard it said that if something else doesn’t kill you, then cancer will. Obviously that is not true for everyone, but it does seem like as we live longer, we see cancer in more and more people. We can do things to improve our statistical chances, but even a few marathoners have heart attacks.

19. Ginny's Dad
    January 8, 2010 2:05 pm

I always liked her. She seemed genuine and kind. Much too young to die – this coming from a 63-year old person. She is with the Lord and in very good hands. She is no longer suffering but her family and friends need our prayers.

20. Jenn E
    January 8, 2010 2:12 pm

I had no idea she was even ill. Very sad. May she rest in peace and may her family have the strength they need to get through this no doubt difficult time.

21. Tom
    January 8, 2010 3:06 pm

I was wondering if you were going to mention Ms Zanos passing. I grew up with her daughters and heard the news of her illness a few months ago. She was an amazing person an even better mom and a fantastic grandma. My heart goes out to her family.
    Thanks for posting such kind words.

RIP Yvonne

22. Still A Fan
    January 8, 2010 3:17 pm

Yes, F cancer. F it in it’s stupid ass.

23. Jaime
    January 8, 2010 4:10 pm

Just saw this on PG’s homepage and it stopped me in my tracks. She exuded such joy and warmth. I grew up with her when she was at WTAE. She seemed like such a sweet woman. Her personality just made me feel that if you’d met her, it would be like greeting an old friend…and I agree Ginny, she was still beautiful at 60. Cancer took her life but it never took her spirit or beauty.

Like “Still” said, F Cancer.

RIP Yvonne. I miss you already.

January 8, 2010 4:34 pm

I’d give my right nut to kick cancer in the ass.

25. CriticExtraordinaire
    January 8, 2010 6:53 pm

I remember Yvonne all the way back to the beginning. Her personality was so infectious and she ALWAYS looked spectacular, even when cancer was making its assault.

It feels like a family member passed away today.

Rest in Peace Yvonne, you were a Pittsburgh original and I will always remember your smile.

26. Norf Side Betty
    January 8, 2010 7:30 pm

I remember her & Jon Burnett on EM – I loved that show! Always wondered why a local show like that wasn’t a staple in every city. She was pretty, vivacious and really loved Pittsburgh.
    So long, fellow blackhawk.

27. Sono Innamorato
    January 8, 2010 7:40 pm

Like a punch in the gut . . . the photo you posted has to be from the ’70s – that shot of Yvonne reminds me of my first wife, whom I met in Pgh. during my freshman year at Duquesne U. in 1972. Same beautiful smile & dreamy eyes (and of course the same hairstyle that many of the beauties from that era wore).

Unfortunately I lost her to Cancer several years ago, too. Ginny, I share your hatred of that insidious disease.

28. Pinto Alegre
    January 8, 2010 10:15 pm

I had to say goodbye to a friend last night who is dying from cancer. He is one of the sweetest, most gentle people that I’ve ever met in my life. Cancer is taking him from us even though he is 58 years old.

Fuck cancer. I hate it.

29. annietiques
    January 8, 2010 10:41 pm

I HATE CANCER, it took my father in the prime of his life, at age 75; this man was dynamic in every sense of the word. He made his greatest contributions in the last years of his life, and in a few very short months he was taken by Pancreatic Cancer. I miss him each and every day! I have often said, there is no one on earth I would rather have a conversation with, and the void is incomprehensible!

Much love and sympathy to Yvonne’s family, I know your grief. Her love for each of you will shine through. She was a shining star!!!

30. GoBobbo
    January 9, 2010 12:28 am

Cancer sucks.

KD Country loves Yvonne!

31. Big John
    January 10, 2010 8:49 am

Cancer sucks

Two side notes about Pittsburgh from the article….1) Love the way Pittsburgh local TV is loyal to their reporters (especially KDKA) and keeps them in your living room for long periods of time and resist the urge to change. 2) Love the bond and compassion Pittsburghers feel for each other

32. USCMike
    January 10, 2010 9:10 am

Having moved to Pittsburgh in 1977 and seeing Yvonne on TV all these years, I feel like I’ve lost a sister. She truly was a bright and dynamic personality on the tube and will be deeply missed by all of us in the ‘Burgh.

Rest in peace Yvonne and God bless your family as they grieve your loss…

33. Bojack
    January 11, 2010 12:39 pm

No pants n’at.

34. Bojack
    January 11, 2010 12:40 pm

@previous comment– typo- wrong thread