They’re okay.

Several of you have asked me if our local sweethearts Jamie and Ali McMutrie are okay in Haiti, where they live in and run several orphanages in Port-au-Prince, the location of a powerful earthquake that injured countless and killed thousands of people yesterday.

I’m happy to tell you that according to their friend and my friend, Jonathan Wander, Jamie, Ali, and all of their children are alive and well and coping.

Jamie and Ali have been in contact with their parents, with Jamie’s husband who lives here in Pittsburgh, and with Jonathan.

Haiti is in chaos right now, and Jamie and Ali have many difficult days ahead, so please keep them and their many children in your thoughts and prayers.

You can follow Jonathan on twitter if you are looking for updates as things move along for them. I’ll also update as developments happen.

These two young ladies are two of the strongest people I have ever met in my life, so they’ve got that going for them as they help their children through this.

1. Jessica @ How Sweet
    January 13, 2010 8:50 am

Thank goodness they are ok! They are wonderful!

2. LA
    January 13, 2010 8:55 am

Thank goodness. I was just about to post to see if you’ve heard anything! Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

January 13, 2010 9:10 am

I was wondering about them this morning when I heard the news. great to hear — these two young women are amazing.

4. summer78
    January 13, 2010 9:32 am

Thanks for the update. They, as well as all the people of Haiti, will continue to be in my prayers.

5. Amanda
    January 13, 2010 9:35 am

Thank you for the update!

6. Margie
    January 13, 2010 9:51 am

Thanks for the update, I will be praying for them as well as the people in Haiti and the Dominican Republic.

7. No Princesses Here
    January 13, 2010 9:57 am

Thank you so much for posting this! I immediately thought of them when I heard the news and have been praying for them and the children. Thank goodness they’re all ok!

8. Politicalpartypooper
    January 13, 2010 10:00 am

I’m moving to Haiti to become an orphan. :D

January 13, 2010 10:25 am

Hawt too.

(Sorry if that’s inappropriate, but it looks like politicalpartypooper already went there, so …)

10. Still A Fan
    January 13, 2010 10:26 am

Since everybody else is being so nice I’ll cross the line…

Ha…
    Ha…
    Hawt!

I’ll be thinking of them too

11. Reader
    January 13, 2010 10:28 am

Mr.Ed called.

He wants his teeth back.

12. Lulz
    January 13, 2010 10:29 am

Is that the cast of Jersey Shore part 2?

13. bootsoo
    January 13, 2010 10:37 am

I missed the fundraiser back in December, so if you have information on where to send donations (particularly now!), I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

14. Sooska
    January 13, 2010 10:53 am

I thought of them last night when I first heard about the earthquake. It sounds like they may have more orphans to take in.

January 13, 2010 11:02 am

11.Reader Says:
    January 13th, 2010 at 10:28 am
    Mr.Ed called.

He wants his teeth back

I have some pictures of Alison Morris to show you.

Hee-haw!

January 13, 2010 11:04 am

you stay classy, reader and lulz.

January 13, 2010 11:10 am

Shame they’re wasting their lives on worthless projects like caring for orphans in impoverished nations. Those girls could be making a metric f-ton of money, a dollar at a time.

All three of them ;-)

Seriously: I’d not heard of these marvelous young ladies before, maybe I missed earlier posts, but God bless them. Someone clearly raised these women right, and someone else just as clearly raised me wrong. I tell myself I’m doing good when I check off the United Way box on my paycheck once a year, but these ladies put me to shame. Not enough to get me off my ass, but at least I feel a little worse about myself now.

18. EricMichaelZ
    January 13, 2010 11:15 am

3rd grade called

They want their jokes back

Dorks!

19. Virginia
    January 13, 2010 11:39 am

Go be an asshole somewhere else, Lulz/Reader.

Yeah, I know you’re the same person and I know you’re reader Jtown.

These girls risk their lives every day, and are currently trying to take care of children while the country is falling down around them. In a post where I’m letting my readers know that they didn’t die, but that they have some scary days ahead, THAT’S where you decide to go? Twice?

They are six million times better human beings than you could ever hope to be.

And that’s really all that matters.

20. FunTimes
    January 13, 2010 11:39 am

Over\under on the number of cocks that graced those mouths?

I’d say 300

21. Virginia
    January 13, 2010 11:40 am

Yeah, I’m about to block your ass. Keep it up.

22. mfj
    January 13, 2010 11:52 am

FunTimes: Over/under on the number of times you’ve had sex with a partner who didn’t have a meter running? I’m going to go with two. If you take roofies out of the equation, that number goes down by about two.

23. SpudMom
    January 13, 2010 11:53 am

Ginny, I don’t know about anyone else, but I find those particular comments completely out of the realm of the general community on this site. I’m kind of offended by them and really, not much internet commenters say offends me. I’m just a random reader but I think this person ought to be blocked. Their comments are completely uncalled for – especially in a post of this nature.

24. Pensgirl
    January 13, 2010 11:56 am

So glad to know they’re OK. A colleague of mine knows someone who is in Haiti for (public health) work and is missing…the hotel this woman was staying in is known to have collapsed, and neither her managers nor her husband can reach her. Very scary, and it’s good to hear about people who are well and accounted for.

25. gunnlino
    January 13, 2010 11:57 am

@Lulz….. is that short for lulzer ? Why don’t you take your sorry ass back to your parents basement and and beat off to W. O. W., and while your at it shave your back.

Your dream of someone as outstanding as any of these three even saying hello to you is just that, a dream.

26. mfj
    January 13, 2010 11:58 am

Also, FT: I’m sure you would be right down there in Haiti yourself with the orphans, but that Sunglass Hut kiosk in Century III ain’t gonna run itself.

Okay, I’ve already spent more time on this that it deserves.

27. ScareHouse Scott
    January 13, 2010 12:07 pm

Pgh magazine writer Jonathan Wander (@JMWander) had provided me with some donation info a couple months ago – I’ll ask and make sure it’s still accurate before I post.

28. MonsterQuads
    January 13, 2010 12:17 pm

Ginny,
    Thank you for the update on Jamie and Ali. Happy to know they are OK.

I’m noticing that you have a few of the same kind of personalities here that I’ve seen in other places around cyberspace. People who were stuffed into lockers as high school sophomores harbor that anger as adults, and when they get in front of a computer keyboard want to take revenge on the world and become quite brave in their statements on blogs or message boards. Those that feel the need to boost their own egos by putting others down usually have a personality disorder. Can anyone recommend a good shrink for these (this) poster(s)?

29. Gina
    January 13, 2010 12:27 pm

These women are amazing and I am so glad to hear they and their children are OK.

30. SusanV
    January 13, 2010 12:27 pm

Wow. I can’t believe how rude some people are. Actually, I can’t believe people say crap like that out loud. DO you really have nothing better to do?

I hope that you get punched in the face sometime for not censoring yourself.

Didn’t your mother ever teach you that if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all?

Sorry for the haters Virginia, please keep up the good work here.

31. Clementine
    January 13, 2010 12:29 pm

Here’s a recent PG article explaining a little more about them… hope Ginny doesn’t mind that I linked. I wasn’t aware of their work before. They describe the conditions before; I can only imagine how bad it is after the quake. Any donation info anyone has would be welcome. Thanks.

32. AndyTheo
    January 13, 2010 12:31 pm

Jamie and Ali are more proof that the awesomeness of Pittsburgh simply cannot be contained. Looking forward to future updates.

33. Summer's Kiss
    January 13, 2010 12:47 pm

So glad to hear that they’re OK – was thinking about them last night when I heard about the quake. I cannot even imagine what it’s like in Haiti right now.

34. Kathy
    January 13, 2010 12:49 pm

How did you know I was wondering about these two? Sorry for the loser commenter, thank you for the update.

35. JenEngland
    January 13, 2010 12:56 pm

I’m going to second or third the request for donation information. I am going to send my Haiti donation directly to them rather than a third party distributor. Not that there is anything wrong with third party distributors, as those are the folks making sure there is bottled water in Haiti right now. And food, and medicine, and search dogs…ok, maybe I’ll donate to both.

36. Matt
    January 13, 2010 1:14 pm

The love and courage of these women is profound beyond measure, and more people know how to help them with Ginny’s publicity. The crude commentary is just a tiny parasite on the first amendment, completely cured by the McMutries’ selflessness.

37. ScareHouse Scott
    January 13, 2010 1:19 pm

Confirmed donation information from Jonathan Wander via Twitter – http://twitter.com/JMWander

send donation checks to “Keystone” c/o Keystone, 161Hazelwood Ave.,15207. Impt: write “BRESMA Orphanage” as memo

38. chrys
    January 13, 2010 3:08 pm

Thank you for posting an update!! I thought of them right away when I saw the news last night. Glad they are doing well!! God Bless them.. they are awesome women!!

39. Beth
    January 13, 2010 3:47 pm

@Lulz…apparently Mr. Ed is missing his ass as well.

40. Amy
    January 13, 2010 3:54 pm

Jaime, Ali, the kids in their orphanages and all of the people in Haiti are in my prayers — this is a devastating crisis and hopefully people can come together to help.

It’s amazing that in times like these people still find a way to be ignorant…

Thanks for being awesome Ginny :)

41. Ta Ta
    January 13, 2010 4:13 pm

Block ’em!

42. Bojack
    January 13, 2010 5:17 pm

@Lulz/Reader/Jtown/Fun-

You are an oxygen-thief I’d really, really like to meet!!
    I’d REALLY like to take you out ocean fishing!!!
    Oh, say you will PLEEZ??

What these brave, unselfish, dedicated women were doing
    before the earthquake, and being there to help now speaks volumes!!!!!!

Bravo to them!!!

Prayers for the whole island!!

43. Bojack
    January 13, 2010 5:21 pm

PS- I did notice they are gorgeous on the outside too!!!

Hey!!