I FINALLY have good news.

A statement from the McMutrie family:

“We are so thrilled to be able to share with you that Ali McMutrie and the children from the Brebis de Saint-Michel de L’Attalaye (BRESMA) orphanage in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, arrived safely at Pittsburgh International Airport a short while ago.  Jamie McMutrie will be following behind shortly.  We will release a full statement as soon as we are able.  In the meantime, thank you for your support during this trying time, and please continue to keep Haiti in your thoughts.”

That? Is good news.  Finally.

I’ll post that full statement as soon as I’m permitted.

1. PA Girl in VA
    January 20, 2010 12:26 pm

First of all, regardless of Ginny’s role in all of this, the fact that she did her best to light fires under folks’ butts is more than most people can say they did to help the Haitians. Sure, we don’t know what was going on the behind the scenes, and we may never know. That’s really none of our concern – the fact that the children have been flown out of Haiti is all that matters.

Regarding Ginny’s posting then taking down information – she was at the mercy of Ali and Jamie’s family through most of this and, I would imagine, that in her discussions with them, decisions were made to remove old posts so as not to confuse her readers. Things changed quickly and information that was previously approved may have become irrelevent shortly after it was posted.

Thirdly, I feel that the fact that Ali & Jamie’s families trusted her as an official voice and source of information speaks volumes to her involvement in all of this. But, again, it really doesn’t matter if she just encouraged people to act or flew the plane to Haiti and back herself, she did SOMETHING. And I can guarantee that no politician, whether it be Rendell, Altmire or anyone else, is going to give credit to a ‘lowly blogger’ (in their eyes) when they can take it for themselves.

Ginny, you’re awesome. You have a strong voice and a wide audience and you used those tools to help accomplish something that many didn’t think could be done so quickly. Thank you!

2. Di
    January 20, 2010 12:33 pm

WPXI mentions family utilizing social networks and blogs to rally help. Kinda general, but it’s nice to see the press acknowledge grass-roots efforts to help Ali and Jamie.

3. Sarah
    January 20, 2010 12:40 pm

I believe I can speak for all of your followers/admirers. ——–We are starving for your voice!

4. LaReina
    January 20, 2010 1:04 pm

A big hug to Ginny for having the heart to do all she did to publicize this pressing need.

5. I love Pittsburgh
    January 20, 2010 1:16 pm

I have to laugh at the PG article that #198 posted. I’m not sure who is being quoted, but I believe it’s Ms. McCombs, the rep from UPMC. She said, “During the flight from Haiti to Pittsburgh, the children, who had been barefoot, were given clothes, shoes, dresses, T-shirts, along with food, crackers, snacks, coloring books and crayons. ‘These children had never seen anything like crayons before. Everyone was getting one-on-one attention.'”

Call me crazy, but I imagine that Jamie and Ali, who appear to have been running a really nice orphanage, probably had crayons at the orphanage. I think the UPMC rep is a dolt.

6. Karyn
    January 20, 2010 1:46 pm

PG says plane got in late this morning.
    wpxi has video http://www.wpxi.com/news/22263919/detail.html

all are home safe and sound!

7. Lise
    January 20, 2010 2:25 pm

WORLD VISION GOT SUPPLIES TO BRESMA IN THEIR HOUR OF NEED. THEY CAN HELP OTHERS AS WELL, BUT THEY NEED YOUR DONATIONS. IF YOU LOOK AT THEIR WEBSITE HOME PAGE YOU WILL SEE A STORE ABOUT THEIR VISIT TO BRESMA. PLEASE SUPPORT THIS ORGANIZATION. http://WWW.WORLDVISION.ORG. WITHOUT THEM , JAMIE, ALI AND THE CHILDREN MAY NOT HAVE THE SUPPLIES THEY NEEDED TO GET THEM THROUGH UNTIL THEIR EVACUATION.

January 20, 2010 2:57 pm

Scott R Priester Says:
    January 20th, 2010 at 12:01 am
    “Someone mentioned an article in the Post Gazette. All I could find while using search is this….”

it wasn’t just “someone” — it was me, dammit. I deserve some credit. I’m a man. I’m a man who discovered the wheel and built the eiffel tower out of metal and brawn.

so, what have you done to help these kids and/or the other people suffering in haiti, scotty? inquiring minds want to know.

9. Ginny's Mom
    January 20, 2010 3:46 pm

I understand everyone wanting a new post. Believe me I do too. Ginny has been and still does do everything with the integrity that the family has asked for. I am Ginny’s mom and I want information just like everyone else. Believe me when I ask her, she tells me ” Mom I will post when the family clears what I am going to say”

It saddens me that some people cannot understand this. As Ginny has stated from day one. THIS IS NOT ABOUT HER….. IT IS ABOUT ALI, JAMIE AND THOSE PRESIOUS LITTLE CHILDREN.

We are so thankful for the outcome of this situation. I am totally amazed at all of you and your willingness to help. I have lived in Pittsburgh my whole life and I have never been prouder to be from the Burgh than I am today. You all are amazing, Look at what you all accomplished in such a short time. Let’s remember there are many orphans in Haiti at this moment. Would it not be wonderful if the whole nation had the spirit of Pittsburgh…. Hold tight the post will come…….. THANK YOU ALL…. Ginny’s Mom

10. Craig
    January 20, 2010 4:44 pm

Ginny’s Mom,

We are all so proud of your wonderful daughter, she is a breath of fresh air to all of us, both in and out of town. There are few like her, as you can tell from some of the posts. Although I’m sure you already know, you have raised one precious jewel.

11. Elmer Fudd
    January 20, 2010 4:46 pm

WPXI Reports a rally for Jamie and Ali. http://www.wpxi.com/news/22284502/detail.html

12. mfj
    January 20, 2010 4:56 pm

Ginny: I don’t know who did what, but a bunch of orphans are safe, and even if you flew the plane down there yourself I think you would be too classy to want to grab credit for it. You know what you did.

R Scott: I don’t know who did what, but a bunch of orphans are safe even though all you did was yap. You can stop now.

13. NMSteve
    January 20, 2010 6:43 pm

Scott is a straw man, and a good looking one, it would seem.

Im always good for a roll in the hay. Consider this.

I emailed Ginny during this process and instantly got an email response from a person close to the family. I told them I knew some people on the ground and they told me how to get to the orphans.

What does that prove? It proves that Ginny provided a voice for the family and access to the family. She used her blog to tell us critical information way before the electronic media. We used her blog to mobilize (electronically and literally) rescue efforts. It proved that through the attention that she relentlessly showed many people began talking and then they began acting.

The 48-72 hours that she spent shining her spotlight, were critical. Her voice and tenacity illuminated an unknown bridged that was being built across the valley of death. A bridge from the “island of good ideas” over the “steep cliffs of doubt and pessimism” and onto “the safer shores of real action”.

Once the actions started she removed information and turned off comments. Why? She removed information to condense the blog and consolidate the story. She wanted to FOCUS her influence and our attention on the key issues. She turned off comments because she did not want un-vetted miss-information to see the light of day.

I applaud Ginny for her voice and admire her for her silence.

14. Bram R
    January 20, 2010 7:54 pm

@NMSteve: “A bridge from the “island of good ideas” over the “steep cliffs of doubt and pessimism” and onto “the safer shores of real action”.

I feel like I missed that chapter in The Phantom Tollbooth.

(Well said though.)

15. Scott R Priester
    January 20, 2010 9:21 pm

So what did we do for these kids as someone asked? I can’t say that what we did specifically benefited the kids in question, but we donated money to the general cause. I didn’t think there was any reason to post that on any blog, but since you asked, that’s what we did.

So many of you are quick to defend her, but you don’t take the time to read between the lines. Someone mentioned that information was taken down because apparently there were people waiting to intercept supplies in to the orphanage. Those people were scavengers, how in the hell were they going to find out what was written in some blog from Pittsburgh PA? Come on.

16. Pittsburgher in Hell
    January 20, 2010 9:47 pm

Ginny, thank you for bringing these girls and their plight to the attention of the country. They are heroes.

17. Insider
    January 20, 2010 9:57 pm

@198…yes, that’s how it happened. A group of people got on a plane and went down and got them…including a “dolt,” Rendell and Altmire. Thank god they did.

18. Ebay5150
    January 21, 2010 8:27 pm

Ginny has wings spread wide, electric and colorful with vibrance that only an angel has. True American Hero, just below Ali and Jamie. I live in SoCal and have been following this story from here since the dreadful moment which none of us will forget. Words can not and will now be able to explain the emotions which overcame my family as this unfolded, but all I can do is say what a great group of people that have come together to make a difference.

19. Ebay5150
    January 21, 2010 8:31 pm

from our founding fathers…
    “those which have the ability to change things, have the responsibility to ensure it happens!”

I will always agree…. That’s Church!