Stepping away.

There’s a story here.  There’s so much to tell and honestly, I don’t know where to start.  So I’m not going to for right now.

My work is done and your work is done. Watch the mainstream media from here on out as I’m sure they will raise Jamie and Ali up to be the heroes they ABSOLUTELY are.  These girls have a bravery and selflessness that I don’t think I’ll ever comprehend.

I am not a hero and I can say that with 100% confidence and don’t argue with me.  I was charged with bringing awareness to their plight and issuing pleas as immediate needs arose.  It doesn’t matter how loud I screamed; if no one was there to hear me, I never made a sound.  You heard and you sprang into action and that makes YOU the social media hero.  I was invited by Jamie and Ali to visit them at the hospital this afternoon.  I have seen the children and they are so happy and well taken care of right now.  You should be so proud of this day.

When I can, I’ll explain to you why there was so much secrecy regarding so many things, why I wouldn’t confirm certain things the media was reporting.  I’ll tell you about the chaos, the terror, the tears, the criticism, and I will also tell you how Jonathan Wander is a real life superhero.  Through all of this, he and I have experienced together some of the lowest of lows and even more lows until finally, FINALLY, the highest of highs. Complete with lots of crying. He and I are bound together for life.  I can’t speak for him, but I know that for me, this week has changed me as a person.

Now …

I have been dead to my husband, to my family, and to my children for five days now, or six? Seven? I don’t know.  I have done practically nothing but sit at my computer and talk on my phone.  Like others behind the scenes, I would wake up, blink, eat lunch, blink, and look at the clock to realize it is 2:00 a.m. and at some point in time, my husband put my children to bed and he’s sound asleep, too.  Lather, rinse, and repeat.  I’m not writing that to complain or to brag.  I’m writing that so that you’ll understand the next thing I’m going to say …

I will not be posting here at That’s Church for a week to give me time to process everything that has happened. Too much to take in right now. It seems surreal.  Did it really happen?  I almost got run over by a toy truck today, zoomed at me across the floor with great speed by a young Haitian.  I guess it really happened.

Well done, readers.  I’ll write you a proper and gushing thank you when my brain starts working again.

For now, I just want to put my head down without paralyzing fear for the survival of the children of BRESMA.

Haiti still suffers.

1. Stuck in the South
    January 22, 2010 9:06 am

Tee Gee, you make me laugh. Ginny, enjoy your rest.

2. Cindy Trollipop
    January 22, 2010 9:52 am

i’m amazed at the sanctimony of people on this site.

ms. virginia was a troll too. she made a name for herself by tweaking and mocking people anonymously and she, as she states, only revealed herself because she was going to get “outed.” (and promoting her hubby’s new restaurant didn’t hurt, either.)

so now, when she gets a little chin music, folks get banned and people get all puffed up nice and indignant.

even her most vociferous critic must agree thatschurch was a helpful voice in the choir of those looking to help BRESMA in an undeniably decent and moral crusade.

but even her most ardent fan should also concede that the melodrama, hyperbole, and breathlessness-generated entirely from sitting behind a computer- is justifiably ripe for parody and a delicious tweaking too.

thus, lighten up, francis.

that’s church!

3. Elmer Fudd
    January 22, 2010 10:05 am

Hey look! Preister grew a pair of hooters!

4. Virginia
    January 22, 2010 10:28 am

Actually, Elmer, according to his IP address, Cindy Trollipop is really UPMSee, who you might remember had a big problem with me raising money for UPMC Children’s Hospital.

5. spoon
    January 22, 2010 10:52 am

hooters… moobs…. man cans, whatev.

6. Baba Wawa
    January 22, 2010 10:57 am

“Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them” (Shakespeare)

7. Elmer Fudd
    January 22, 2010 11:07 am

Just another Jagoff…

8. Carol
    January 22, 2010 11:17 am

Thanks for printing the official statement from the McMutrie family. If they took pains to thank-you it proves that you’ve been honest and devoted to easing their plight.

It makes the wuss-buckets giving you a hard time look plain silly/jealous/pathetic.

9. Dan (Not Onarato)
    January 22, 2010 11:23 am

PFFFT I spit out my coffee! MAN CANS!?!?! Hilarious!

10. RedInDaBurgh
    January 22, 2010 12:42 pm

No good deed goes unpunished, does it?

Yes, many people were involved in making this happen, as the McMutrie’s clearly laid out in their statement. But somebody, or somebodies, has to get the ball rolling. You are a fool if you think Rendell or Altmire would have done anything without others compelling them to. They are politicians, after all, and so few of them take seriously what they really are: civil servants.

There is considerable talk everywhere, all the time, about the need for individuals to speak outand take action. To do something to make a difference. Yet, when someone like Virginia actually does, of her own accord, there are those who criticize.

“Who is she to speak about this?”
    “It is not her place to do this, let those who know handle it.”
    “How dare someone like her rise above her station to comment on what those with power and influence should do.”

I agree that “hero” is a word thrown around too often in our society. You acted in a selfless manner to help other people, most of whom you never met, utilizing the tools and talents that were available to you: your words and your blog.

Hero? I don’t know. But you made a difference in the lives of 50-some people. And that is something to take pride in, and to be admired and emulated.

Rest well Virginia, and with a clear conscience. Not many people earn that, you did.

11. Tinare
    January 22, 2010 1:15 pm

#110 said it oh-so-more eloquently than I could have. Thank you for using your voice and blog for more than virtually kicking pigeons. You helped to shine a light on a situation and that required action. That is an accomplishment.

It’s easy to criticize, hard to actually do the work.

12. SpudMom
    January 22, 2010 1:28 pm

The criticism is really lame and truly accomplishes nothing. It must be an incredibly pathetic life these people lead.

13. Elmer Fudd
    January 22, 2010 2:07 pm

You know. these whiners act like these are the only orphans in haiti, and the people that went down to help pulled the rug out from under them by beating them to the punch. There are THOUSANDS of orphans still there and need our help. If they want to get with the people they are supporting and do another rescue, I and I am shure others will be 100% behind them regardless of party. And I don’t want to hear about how the media won’t give US attention because it is a load of crap. Go for it and hope you Do prove me wrong. For the kids sake.

14. HorseShoeBend
    January 22, 2010 2:10 pm

Imagine the situation (see below) if all involved had not taken action by whatever means at their disposal. Focus on the good – only. BTW, I have personal experience with Holy Family Manor – they do incredible, heartwarming work in the most difficult of circumstances. They would also I’m sure appreciate any and all donations to help support those they care for. A local cause of extreme importance in our backyard.

8:30 p.m. — Haiti’s orphanages have become targets for people desperate for food, water and medical supplies, aid workers said. On Wednesday night, Maison de Lumiere, an orphanage caring for 50 orphans, came under attack from a group of 20 armed men, aid workers told the Joint Council on International Children’s Services. A neighboring orphanage sheltering about 135 children has been robbed several times over the past few days, they said.

15. chrys
    January 22, 2010 2:18 pm

Thank you for posting the statement from the family. I have been glued to your blog during this situation. These 2 sisters are heros, and those kids are angels. I can’t believe people are being such douche bags about who deserves credit/taking credit.. whatever. All I know is that I was inspired by this blogto write to our state reps! Sure, it was a group effort.. that started at the grassroots level. Ginny.. I think you are amazing for helping the family get the help that the girls needed.. if not for you stirring everyone up to help contact the politicians, reporters and lawyers.. I cringe with the thought that help may have come too late.

So I say screw the morons who want to be jerks with their posts! I say thank everyone who was a part of the solution.. you included. Take some time and relax.. and rest in the knowledge that you are awesome. :) Oh, and have a glass of wine for me… ;)

16. tim
    January 22, 2010 4:20 pm

Hero (like beauty) is in the eye of the beholder.
    In the eye of this beholder, you’re still a hero.

17. Elmer Fudd
    January 22, 2010 4:26 pm

We need a pigeon kicking contest. The one who punts the farthest wins a cape and chest placard..

18. butcher's dog
    January 22, 2010 4:50 pm

I figured UPMSee was lurking under a bridge somewhere. Any chance of adding him (and all his aliases) to the banned list as well?

For him, Tee Gee, Scott R. Priester, and anyone else looking to find fault: to the best of my knowledge Ginny has never tried to claim one shred of acclaim for herself. She tried to prod people to act by expanding the pool of contacts. They did so. They weren’t the only ones, but they’re the only ones we’re dealing with at present. Those contacts and that prodding resulted in action, bringing two Pittsburgh girls and 54 orphans here. They’re safe, and they probably wouldn’t be if they were still in Haiti. Ginny’s still not trying to claim any credit, just sharing with us all that the job is done and she’s happy.

Soooo…just let it alone already. If and when you see she’s mounting a campaign to run for mayor or representative or governor, then chime in with your criticisms. If she just takes some r and r and goes back to the blog, you’ll know we were right and you were wrong. Your carping just detracts, albeit slightly, from the good deeds that were done this week.

And…THAT is church!

19. HorseShoeBend
    January 22, 2010 5:55 pm

My mistake on 114. It’s Holy Family Institute. Manor is for sisters who have retired or may need care.

20. Beth
    January 22, 2010 6:15 pm

I can not believe this negativity! I don’t remember Ginny ever saying it was all her doing. She brought attention to a crisis happening to two Pittsburgh girls. She hasn’t even told us all she did behind the scenes, so how can you even judge her. She is a “trusted family friend” of the McMutries now, so I am sure it was more than we can even fathom. You know, if you don’t like her or what she did, don’t read the blog, and for God’s sake quit picking on her.

21. Amy
    January 23, 2010 2:39 am

On behalf of a dear friend whose new little boy’s life was saved as a result of all that all of you have done, THANK YOU. Thank you Jamie and Ali for not leaving those babies. And thank you Virginia and everyone else here who was involved in any way in making this happen. Perhaps I should get out more, but I’ve never witnessed such an incredibly life-affirming group effort — even from the afarness of the interwebz. Just amazing. Thank you thank you thank you.

22. Bojack
    January 23, 2010 12:41 pm

@UPeeMSee AKA, Troll-pop>

Listen to me you worthless piece of shit-

“Sanctimonious” ???

Most bloggers would have banned that nutsack SRP AND you
    the first time you allowed fecal matter to spill out of your mouth!!!

As it is, Ginny DOES allow you pukes to post!!

What she did with her blog for this effort is priceless!!

23. Carol
    January 23, 2010 1:33 pm

@Bojack

I now have the most ..vivid.. pictures in my brain after your post, lol.

24. butcher's dog
    January 23, 2010 1:41 pm

Bojack, don’t hold it in like that, man! It does no good to keep things bottled up inside like this. Let it out, brother!

And I, too, have some amazingly vivid pictures after your post. If you need any help in the slapping department, let me know.

25. Elmer Fudd
    January 23, 2010 2:24 pm

After fighting with my motorcycle today trying to get it ready for spring, I would like a little piece of that action too!

26. mfj
    January 23, 2010 2:27 pm

Can’t we all just get along?

Just kidding, hey if you’re getting a posse together, I swing a pretty mean sack of doorknobs.

27. Bojack
    January 23, 2010 11:42 pm

I just call ’em like I see ’em!!!! :-)

28. TeeGee
    January 24, 2010 12:02 am

>>Be very happy she doesn’t give me your IP address as I would fry your hard drive- believe it!!!<>Why don’t you tell me where you work so I can come by and knock the dick out of your mouth????<<

"Legal malice is a term that refers to one party’s intention to do injury to another. Malice can either be expressed or implied. Expressed malice occurs when the party gives outward notice that they intend to commit a crime or some other wrong towards another."

interesting blog…. to say the least.

29. Bojack
    January 24, 2010 3:23 am

@teegee-

What’s the matter Cupcake??

I EXPRESSLY stated I would greatly enjoy knocking the dick out of your mouth!!

Your question is??

30. Pa-pop
    January 24, 2010 12:49 pm

I’ve been out of the loop and haven’t posted comments to this site for several weeks only to come back to find a bit of senseless quarreling that is tarnishing the otherwise overwhelming praise for Virginia’s role in the BRESMA relief effort. Before another silly cynical comment gets posted I suggest that we all ponder the last three words of Virginia’s post: Haiti still suffers.

An island nation of over 8 million people has suffered the devastating loss of 250,000 of its citizens. Countless survivors, some of who may wish they would rather be dead, have been left behind without food, shelter, water, adequate medical facilities, or anything remotely resembling sanitary conditions. The bodies of friends and family members who were killed in the earthquake were removed from the rubble – without a shred of dignity – by front loaders and then dumped without ceremony into mass graves. Imagine … there is a child there who does not know if his or her parent, sister, brother, aunt, uncle, or grandparent is alive or dead. And if dead, they may never know where to find the place at which they can kneel and pray for their eternal peace.

The rescue of 54 orphans and their two heroic and compassionate caregivers is a truly inspirational story, but it also provides a sobering jolt to our sensibilities that their survival is just a very small slice of victory over what is surely hell on earth. Haiti still suffers. Simple-minded comments by a few ridiculous misanthropes over who deserves credit and blame will not help the homeless refugee who at this very minute is dodging looters or foraging for water or crumbs to feed his family.

Virginia needs her well-deserved rest. Haiti still needs our help. And some people just need to learn to shut up.

31. spoon
    January 24, 2010 2:20 pm

bojack, you just made me pee a little

32. Insider
    January 24, 2010 7:36 pm

Relax folks…talk about sycophantic minions.

33. Bojack
    January 24, 2010 8:09 pm

@insider-

Who you callin’ psychofanatic???

34. Insider
    January 24, 2010 9:40 pm

Meglomaniacal??

35. Elmer Fudd
    January 24, 2010 10:35 pm

Sounds like somebody is spending too much time watching Dr. Phil..

36. Insider
    January 24, 2010 11:04 pm

indubitably. Meanwhile, quit being such a moron. It’s rabbit, not wabbit.

37. Elmer Fudd
    January 24, 2010 11:12 pm

Ok You impressed us. Now take your dictionary and go away.

38. Bojack
    January 26, 2010 8:28 am

******** Take the Colts -5, and the over!!!!! :-) ********

Happy New Year!!!

39. Michael Armbrust
    January 26, 2010 1:40 pm

Good Christ-on-a-crutch! If the situation wasn’t so somber I would be laughing my ass off…ok I am a little. It amazes me that some people that shall remain nameless (all because we know who you are) seem to have nothing better to do that sling shit and insults at people trying to make the world a better place.
    Even if Ginny did take some pride in what she did, SO WHAT!?! You mean to tell me you wouldn’t? If you would spend that time you do on here being an assfat, and use that time to do good in the world, there would be no need for Ginny to have to beg and plead and cry and post for help.

40. Beth
    January 27, 2010 8:27 am

Hey, Is Ginny coming back today??!

41. chrys
    January 27, 2010 12:54 pm

I hope she is coming back soon, Beth!! :) I miss her! :)