Tomorrow.

After intense days of worrying about things like life and death and sick babies and water and more life and death, and of blogging about life and death and suffering, I gotta tell you, I’m not sure how to return to posting trivial words about trivial things, which, well, that’s my shtick, darn it.

I talked to my butler Mike about that briefly and basically we agreed that if me writing trivial words about trivial things brings a smile to a few faces, and if it makes me happy to write those trivial words, then so be it.

I’ve enjoyed my break from my blog and I do plan to return tomorrow with guns blazing.

And by “guns blazing,” I mean, “Watch out, pidgees. Pew pew.”

1. Kathy
    January 27, 2010 1:23 pm

Just have Mike write the blog for a couple days. :)

2. BIGGEORGE
    January 27, 2010 1:25 pm

Your “trivial words”, as you write, are not trivial to me or the other readers you have attracted.

I read it every day, well until recently, and enjoy it tremendously. It helps me start my morning, along with Calvin and Hobbes, and some music.

It gives me great pleasure to read, and a good usually a good laugh.

Laughter is an instant vacation. ~Milton Berle

BIGGEORGE

3. LA
    January 27, 2010 1:46 pm

Please continue with the trivial words, please! It’s been far to quiet this past week.

4. cathy
    January 27, 2010 1:48 pm

CAN’T wait I have missed your wit and humor… triviality has is place – look at “trivial pursuit” it has made millions. What you say brings many fans here everyday even when you said you where taking a break I checked the blog everyday to see when the break would be over… and missed it even more when I discovered it was not over yet. Now You have Made my day because I have your return tomorrow to look forward to!!! :) :) :)

5. EricMichaelZ
    January 27, 2010 2:09 pm

** starts Paul Revere esque ride to warn all the pidgees **

6. red pen mama
    January 27, 2010 2:15 pm

May I humbly suggest that bringing shirtless hot male Burghers to your female audience’s attention can hardly be considered trivial?

Hope you are rested. Looking forward to tomorrow (even if it is about pigeons and not shirtless hot male Burghers).

7. Horseshoebend
    January 27, 2010 2:21 pm

Get back on that horse. You’ll see it will be fine. Trivial it’s not when you consider that it brings a smile – positve – to all of us who visit here. That’s what people crave today amidst all the negative and you hold the key to the palace. Your palace. Hear that knockin’? It’s getting really loud. Can’t wait until tomorrow.

8. Linda
    January 27, 2010 2:28 pm

Missed you and hoped you got the rest you deserve. But Pittsburgh Magazine arrived in the mail so your piece on “The Pittsburgh Potty” brought me lots of laughs!(and memories as my best friend growing up had one).

9. Glowczewski
    January 27, 2010 2:28 pm

Some of us come to just hear your take on things, funny or not. Just be true to who you are. You bring the funny a lot, but if you don’t, we’ll still enjoy reading what you have to say.

10. MessyDee
    January 27, 2010 2:41 pm

Please continue to write in the original spirit of the blog! It’s hard enough to face the world today with its overwhelming doom and gloom without the levity and humor of That’s Church!

BTW every time I’m by the Whole Foods mural I see that GIGANIT pigeon and think of you.

11. Nick
    January 27, 2010 2:42 pm

Glad to hear it.

12. Becky
    January 27, 2010 2:48 pm

I second Red Pen Mama..bringing hot shirtless Burgers to our attention is NOT trivial….

13. Bojack
    January 27, 2010 2:53 pm

Just exactly what did you say you’d reveal for
    front row tix to “Phantom??” :-)

14. Pensgirl
    January 27, 2010 3:09 pm

I’m with BigGeorge and crew.

Personally, I have a job that is about Very Serious Things, and lately I have unwillingly been “all work and no play Pensgirl,” which is enough to drive a person completely bonkers. Whether I need a mental break during the day or a laugh at night, you and your blog give me moments of levity that help keep me sane. Your liaising role in the orphanage situation was no exception, as each bit of progress was something good among the din of bad, bad, worse news.

As long as you have the heart to write (and, it seems, the stomach!), you’ll be able to help brighten the days of readers like me.

15. Lisa J
    January 27, 2010 3:13 pm

Thirding red pen mamma. Shirtless hunky male burghers is all I need. Bringing back the funny would help, too. Seriously even if you post the most depressing thing ever, if you end it with a hot shirtless man, we’ll still read it everyday.

16. Dwight Spaulding
    January 27, 2010 3:53 pm

No matter what kind of words you write, we all know they will be the right ones at the right time. Keep typing, keep thinking, keep laughing….

17. Princess of Quarterbackolonia
    January 27, 2010 4:04 pm

While I am happy that you were able to take a week off and recharge your batteries, I have to admit that I am selfishly looking forward to reading your blog first thing every morning, and more often than not, laughing out loud.
    Last week, I was helping my daughter with my 3 month old grandson as he was in the hospital with a respiratory virus, but I was still checking several times a day to see how the Haiti orphans were faring. Not living in the Burgh area, it was the only way that I could follow this story. Thanks so much for the time and effort you put in to keep us all informed.

18. toni
    January 27, 2010 4:25 pm

oh thank God you’re back.

19. butcher's dog
    January 27, 2010 4:28 pm

See, you’re off a week and already the estrogen cloud starts to form. Let’s not forget to toss in a few local hawt-ies on occasion. Not all of us enjoy the male form, largely through envy.

And don’t downplay the “trivial” nature of what you do/have done, either. Follow the chain: “for want of a nail a shoe was lost…” What you’d been doing got us all here in the first place; that allowed you to do what you did once we were all here and something important came up. And poking needles into the balloons of major local puffed-ups isn’t trivial; it keeps us all honest. Think “importance of a free press” and all that. Local print media sure isn’t doing that; you are. We’ll chortle at the occasional pigeon harrangs to get to the other stuff. And if you fear there’s nothing more to be angry at, keep in mind that playoff hockey and Bucs Baseball both start up in April, just about the time the snow’s melting.

And thanks, Ginny. Thanks for everything you are and you do.

20. TripleC
    January 27, 2010 4:36 pm

Scott R Priester not at all pleased with this development. Freaking tool!

21. ScareHouse Scott
    January 27, 2010 4:52 pm

Seeing the Calvin & Hobbes strip scared me. I was worried that you were following the example of Bill Watterson and about to announce the same kind of retirement/seclusion. Whew.

22. LuAnn
    January 27, 2010 4:58 pm

Hey la, hey la our Ginny’s back!

Hooray!

23. Bethany
    January 27, 2010 5:55 pm

You totally earned that break, but I need you! I’m being way too productive at work. They’re going to start expecting me to produce like this all the time and it’ll be all your fault. Do you honestly want that on your conscience?

Welcome back!

24. Statler and Waldorf
    January 27, 2010 6:02 pm

To be honest, we kind of liked the cut of Scott R. Priester’s jib.

25. Elmer Fudd
    January 27, 2010 6:29 pm

Yea, we wanted to cut his jib too..

26. richrovs
    January 27, 2010 7:03 pm

You helped do wonderful things when that was needed. Can’t wait for you to put a smile on my face after a hard day at work. Smile young lady.

27. bluzdude
    January 27, 2010 7:09 pm

There is nothing trivial about entertaining people and making them laugh. I consider it the highest calling.

OK, maybe not the “highest”, but up there. (looking into getting hyperbole meter adjusted…)

We’re glad to have you back at it!

28. L-A
    January 27, 2010 7:25 pm

can’t wait for tomorrow. glad you’re back!

29. CFluck
    January 27, 2010 7:35 pm

If what you have blogged before Haiti was trivial, then we, your pigeon brained readers, live for trivia for our lives are filled with air filled nothingness and drudgery. You fill our lives with laughter, insight, and calls to good works. Thank you for whatever your blog.

30. tim
    January 27, 2010 7:43 pm

Keep your piece of the blogsphere laughing (or furious or impassioned) and we’ll be less likely to sit our our duffs and more likely to get out and do some good in the world. That’s not trivial :-).

31. Kris
    January 27, 2010 7:51 pm

I’ve been going through withdrawal. I cannot wait for tomorrow to come so I can once again get my fix!

32. Bojack
    January 27, 2010 8:12 pm

@ Waldorf & Salad-

You liked SRP’s ji__ ???

33. Leslie
    January 27, 2010 8:40 pm

Yay! I’m glad you’ll be back tomorrow. I hope you were able to get some well-deserved rest and relaxation during your time away.

34. Stacie
    January 27, 2010 8:40 pm

YEAH!! I can’t wait till tomorrow’s post! My husband and I have been checking the site daily, he sent me a text today just to say that you were going to post again tomorrow!!

35. Bojack
    January 27, 2010 9:28 pm

Sitting here watching the State if the Union speech, am I the only

one who would enjoy seeing a rafter fall from the ceiling and

knock all of Nancy Pelosi’s teeth out?????

36. carnegiegirl
    January 27, 2010 10:08 pm

I can’t tell you how much I appreciate all of your hard work help the McMutries….but
    Thank goodness you are coming back…we missed you!

37. PittCheMBA
    January 27, 2010 10:26 pm

Ginny, your ability to write about both trivial and serious topics is amazing. This is just one of the big reasons you have such a large readership.

On the trivial side, did you hear that PETA wants to replace Punxsutawney Phil with a robotic stand-in,

38. tim
    January 27, 2010 11:07 pm

Your Majesty . . . You have been missed. And throughout the crisis and the relief on the outcome of everything I felt the same as you. Thanks for really . . . i dunno . . . being You and helping everyone through that.

39. john jake
    January 28, 2010 5:51 am

Oh brother. This woman could post a picture of dog poop and you people would praise her.

40. Bojack
    January 28, 2010 6:39 am

@ jake la scrotum-

That would be “Ms. Montanez, m’am” to you,

you preening shit-eater!!

41. Princess of Quarterbackolonia
    January 28, 2010 7:28 am

Re: John Jake
    If you feel that way, then why are you reading her blog?

42. Cindy T.
    January 28, 2010 8:12 am

I go to your page first thing when I get into work. Missed you. You did a good thing helping the sisters and the orphans. Don’t downplay that. Good job all the way around. It got people moving, thinking, working together…believe me.

43. Cindy T.
    January 28, 2010 8:16 am

P.S. Screw the haters. Yeah, why are you people reading Ginny’s blog?

44. USCMike
    January 28, 2010 9:05 am

Ginny, just come back to us, even if it takes a few days to warm up your thoughts to covering lighter topics. We NEED your irreverent and humorous comments to keep all of us sane and prevent us from working all the time!!

And I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again, thank God for the McMutrie sisters and what they do for those orphans! They are truly angels that walk amongst us…

45. Erin
    January 28, 2010 9:10 am

Glad to have you back! Your work is really appreciated – it’s not trivial to us.

46. Beth
    January 28, 2010 10:35 am

Trivial? No way! Humor is as essential as the air we breathe. You have captured the perfect balance in your blog. You make us laugh, but when something serious comes up you make us think.

47. SC 'Burgher
    January 28, 2010 11:14 am

Your blog is a fun link back to my hometown. I can’t think of a better thing than some trivial fun. Write on PittGirl, for us and you.

“It is requisite for the relaxation of the mind that we make use, from time to time, of playful deeds and jokes.” – St. Thomas Aquinas

48. Jerry
    January 28, 2010 11:41 am

For what its worth your words have brought smiles to my face.

Glad your back…you did a great thing!!

49. john jake
    January 28, 2010 12:52 pm

Bojack, Princess & Cindy T, maybe you should reread what I said. My comment was more of a blast at YOU GUYS not Ginny. You guys, the adoring public, the legion of minions. You help encourage an environment in these comments that is basically 100% positive only with no disagreement. And it seems those that disagree get banned or comments that have the slightest hint of criticism are taken down.

I’ve lurked on this blog for awhile now but this recent event in Haiti has made decide to start posting.

I think the blog is fine. I like some posts, some not so much. I come to the blog because I like smart, satirical, witty humor and she delivers that a lot. I’m not ready to hand her a Pullitzer like a lot of you are but a lot of what is on here is entertaining.

But the groupthink mentality that has formed in these comments, well it’s something more out of communist North Korea than the US.