The Everyday Extraordinary

I just got back from a lunch at Google Pittsburgh and while I’m writing up my thoughts on that experience, I wanted to let you know that my first REAL post is up at my blog over at Pittsburgh Magazine and here’s the part where I can’t remember if I told you that I’m also blogging for Pittsburgh Magazine now.

Hey, guys, I’m also blogging for Pittsburgh Magazine in addition to my regular stuff here.  That will be the place I’ll post videos and the more respectable posts about Pittsburgh.  This will continue to be my blogging playground, so to speak.  The place I post anything I want with no one to edit me.  Nothing’s changing here.  So no worries.

Anyway, my post is about traffic cop Vic Cianca, station wagons, and finding the extraordinary in the ordinary.

Happy reading!

Now, I’m going to go gush about Google Pittsburgh.  More soon.

1. HORNE-Y
    January 29, 2010 3:48 pm

Well done, as always!

2. bluzdude
    January 29, 2010 4:31 pm

Ooh, so this is the playground? Let me be the first to offer to push you on the swings. And take if from me, be suspicious of anyone that’s too eager to get you on the other end of the see-saw. They may be a jumper.

3. Bojack
    January 29, 2010 5:00 pm

b b bbut, we can’t COMMENT over there!!! :-(

(and even if we could, I know I (honey-tongued devil that I am)
    won’t ever get thru the censors!! waaaaah!!

4. mfj
    January 29, 2010 6:29 pm

Pittsburgh Magazine seems like the type to get all Amnesty International about the pigeons.

5. gunnlino
    January 29, 2010 7:46 pm

Yes, I too remember looking out of the back seat window of my fathers Hudson and asking him why the policeman was dancing in the street. I don’t recall my Fathers reply but I do recall marveling at the dancing policeman.
    RIP Mr Ciansa.

6. gunnlino
    January 29, 2010 7:49 pm

Oh, I forgot I’m older than the speed limit and really do remember it, although it is a little fuzzy sometimes.

7. Steeler_tom
    January 29, 2010 7:49 pm

For the record,….
    When you anounced that you were going to write for Pittsburgh magazine,…. I purchased a subscription, not 1 year,…. not 2 years,…. but 3 years. Oh and I live in the middle of the freakin Mojave Desert! (the pain of it all!)
    SO now I have to bookmark another webpage…… Just to read your musings (Oh and I do enjoy them) But I can’t leave a comment there? Oh well.
    For the record, someday you’ll see this really old guy who doesn’t hear so well, running towards you with his copies of Pittsburgh Magazine,…. Don’t worry It’s just me, (I’ll have a sharpie too) I just want them signed so when you hit the big time…… I can cash in!
    LOL

8. chrys
    January 29, 2010 11:32 pm

great post.. I, too remember the station wagon. Ours was dark green with the wood paneling on the side. It was dubbed “the grocery getter” I remember my younger brothers would fight over who would sit way in the back.. not me.. it was too damn hot/cold back there.. depending on the weather.

As for Vic Cianca.. I saw him too.. I thought he was really neat, and I wondered why we didn’t have someone like that in our neighborhood. :) God Bless him.. and his family. I think there are a lot of us with fond memories of him.

9. G-Man
    January 30, 2010 10:53 am

Thanks for mentioning Vic Cianca. I was saddened to read about his passing in the Post-Gazette this week. My late mom was a schoolmate of Vic’s back in the day. We used to love to drive through downtown on the way to grandma’s and see Vic up around Grant Street or Blvd of the Allies putting on his show. He was great fun to watch. RIP Vic.

10. jan
    January 30, 2010 4:22 pm

Gosh – I thought you were much younger than I, but your memories of the back back of a station wagon and watching Vic are just like mine!
    I remember when they did a feature of him on Candid Camera. We were so proud to have a Pittsburgher go national!

11. Bojack
    January 30, 2010 6:04 pm

Proly 5 Ford Country Squire wagons!! White with the fake wood panels!!

And you know what?? The back windows rolled all the way down
    and none of the 4- 10 kids packed in ever went out!!!

Even the rear window was down!! No seat belts, ridin’ in the back
    with the windows down!!

TAKE THAT YOU F’ING GOVT SUPER-NANNIES!!!!

12. Karyn
    February 1, 2010 7:57 am

OMG! is it really true?!

they are amazing young women! HEROES!