Smile, though you want to shove your fist through their skull.

Yesterday at the Pitt/WVU basketball game, things got out of hand when WVU fans began throwing things onto the court, at one point hitting a Pitt assistant coach in the face with a coin, prompting the WVU coach to ask for some, you know, CLASS:

YouTube Preview Image

YouTube Preview Image

If you take to twitter to see what fans are saying, some WVU fans are claiming that their sister’s boyfriend said it was a Pitt fan that threw the item at the Pitt coach.  Other WVU fans are saying that Pitt should suck it up because things like this happen all the time and it’s no big deal.

Pitt fans are pissed and rightfully so.  But some are taking it WAY too far:

If your response to WVU fans’ lack of class is to TRUMP it with even more classless behavior, you really lose any right you had to be angry in the first place.  This is like going to the trailer park and shouting, “OMG.  YOU PEOPLE HAVE NO CLASS!  LOOK AT YOUR TOILET IN YOUR YARD!  LOOK AT YOUR SHEETS IN THE WINDOWS!  LOOK AT YOUR MANGY DOG!  I’M GOING TO GO NOW AND MAKE OUT WITH MY SISTER IN THE BACKSEAT OF MY TRUCK! YOU KNOW, THE TRUCK WITH THE GIANT CONFEDERATE FLAG ON IT?! YOU STAY CLASSY, LOSERS!”

Here’s a question.  Why can’t Pitt fans say, “Yeah, you beat us pretty soundly.  In fact, I would go so far as to say that you SPANKED us like a dominatrix hooker, but a lot of your fans were assholes and that is NOT okay,” and why can’t WVU fans just say, “Yeah, our fans got out of hand and I’m not proud of them, but holy Lord, did we smite your asses like a plague.”

There’s nothing wrong with saying either of those things because they are BOTH true statements.  And rivalry should be fun.   Rivalry is going to a Steelers game with a Browns fan and talking smack to each other the entire time.  Rivalry is getting up in someone’s face and shouting, “HAH!  Suck it, loser!” and then buying that guy a beer.

Life is way too short–  There is way too much suffering– There is entirely too much tearing down and falling down in this world to take something like a basketball game so seriously that you throw things, chant obscenities, throw out homophobic slurs, or wish anyone dead.

And Pitt fans, WVU is coming here on February 12th for a rematch.  On our turf.  Show them that you’re better than foul-mouthed, coin-throwing clowns.  Show them your Pitt pride but do it in a way that makes PITTSBURGH proud. Don’t take the bait no matter how delicious and squiggly and chock full o’ guts that worm looks.

Ignore the worm.  Savor the win.  And do it with some class.

(h/t Mikey and Big Bob)

1. Libby
    February 4, 2010 11:15 am

Perfectly stated (as usual!).

February 4, 2010 11:19 am

The sorry thing is, WVU fans CAN show some class when they’re up to it. The way they treated the Connecticut football team in the game after Jasper Howard was murdered was wonderful.

Otherwise, I can make no excuses for these idiots. (I also know they don’t really represent me or my state so I can call them idiots without the slightest feeling of embarrassment.) There’s being clever (Duke basketball fans have the copyright on that) and there’s boorish, and the past two games at least, with Louisville and Pitt, the “fans” (which I think should be read as: the student section) have just been boorish.

The obvious solution will be for WVU to bar the Mountaineer Maniacs from attending a crucial game, just one time. Let the student section sit empty on national TV. If they can be embarrassed at all, that might do the trick.

A wise man on the radio, a man who’s a college professor, said he had a rule in his classroom. He did NOT want cell phones to go off during his lectures. So his rule was that if a cell phone rang, the students on either side of the one with the cell would lose a letter grade. That way they had incentive to police themselves.

Likewise, he said that the way to deal with, for instance, Iran is not to threaten a nuclear strike; it’s to let Iran’s neighbors know that if Iran gets out of hand, we’ll hit THEM with nukes, then let them police Iran themselves.

A little extreme, perhaps, but maybe the students who aren’t causing trouble but sit next to the ones who do need to understand their ticket can be yanked if anyone in their section misbehaves.

3. AB
    February 4, 2010 11:20 am

As a diehard Pitt basketball fan, you’ve said exactly what I want to say. We did get crushed (and fairly) last night, but their fans are completely out of hand. I highly doubt there was a Pitt fan sitting that low in the stands, and that a Pitt fan would risk hitting a Pitt coach. Anyone that throws a coin onto the floor doesn’t have the brains to put together the thought “oh hai, I’m a Pitt fan. I bet it sure would make teh WVU fans look bad if I tried to blind one of the Pitt coaches.”

But I was incredibly offended by that facebook group that I saw last night. I wrote the kid a private message (FYI, he’s not a Pitt student) saying I was insulted by his actions and requesting that he delete the group immediately. He did leave as an admin, but the group remained open.

I think the bottom line is that some of these kids clearly have parents that didn’t raise them right. I know that my friends who are also hardcore WVU fans are always disappointed by the classlessness that their fellow fans show, but I also know that these fans exist everywhere (including Pitt), which makes it a very sad situation indeed and really takes the fun out of the rivalry.

February 4, 2010 11:22 am

Oh, and I’m pretty proud of the headline on the game story in my newspaper today:

Nitwits spoil
    Pitt whipping

Not least because I wrote it.

5. Annie
    February 4, 2010 11:25 am

Stay classy Morgantown.

6. Pensgirl
    February 4, 2010 11:29 am

Thank you for calling out people who want to up the ante. The point of being upset at bad behavior is that YOU know to conduct yourself better than that!

As for the incident itself, sounds par for the course as far as WVU goes. Not saying fans of other teams are angels, but the likelihood that the culprit being a WVU student is extremely high based on my experiences.

I was in my college band and we traveled to WVU for football games. The fans threw things at us the first time I went there, and the second time they attacked us. Our director had to step in to save one young lady, and another waif of girl had to use her trombone to protect herself against a guy three times her size. They also threw rocks at our buses.

My brother’s school also traveled to WVU for a football game and someone threw a metal trash can at them, among other things.

7. SC 'Burgher
    February 4, 2010 11:41 am

Guess they couldn’t sneak a couch in to the arena to burn during halftime.

February 4, 2010 11:52 am

well, we’ll see what happens in the rematch coming up at pitt. my hope is that my alma mater’s student section will remain above that kind of crap.

9. OldNorthSider
    February 4, 2010 11:53 am

My middle school boys watching the game couldn’t believe the courtside Mic picked up the female Pitt fan shrieking in efforts to sabatoge a WVU free throw and the “SHUT UP B!tch” bellowing response from a Mountaineer fan. They were completely amused. However, it must have been a jailbreak down there last night. Can anyone say Karma? What goes around comes around, just ask the Cincy Bungles.

10. hugh.c.mcbride
    February 4, 2010 1:07 pm

If nothing else, there needs to be some kind of rule passed that trash-talking & heckling will only be allowed by those who can correctly use words like “smite.”

In addition to drastically reducing the amount of crowd obnoxiousness & significantly upgrading the quality of the invectives that are hurled from the stands, it also might encourage some of these “students” to, ya know, pick up a book once in a while.

11. Michelle
    February 4, 2010 1:07 pm

I’m an alumna of Pitt and I now attend law school there. It’s fair to say I bleed blue and gold (the RIGHT blue and gold). I love all things about Pitt. I’m also an absolute traitor. I went to high school 20 minutes away from Morgantown. Almost everyone I knew in high school went to WVU. So did my brother and my two best friends. There has always been a lot of between us. But it’s always been friendly.

The actions of the WVU student section last night were disgraceful, but not the slightest bit unexpected. This is the same group of “fans” that nearly burned down their own city after an away victory. And they’re proud of it. “Where greatness is learned and couches are burned.” That’s the slogan on so many t-shirts I’ve seen in Morgantown. After the Louiseville game their dean even sent around e-mails asking the students to clean it up. A lot of good that did. I’ve also attended more than a few Pitt/WVU games on their campus and I would never go without my brother. I honestly wouldn’t feel safe it he wasn’t with me.

All that being said, that Facebook group looks very poorly on Pitt. I guess it goes to show that there are idiots everywhere; no one is truely immune. But I’m sure when WVU arrives on February 12th, the Oakland Zoo will serve as an excellent example of how to support your team and your university without embarrassing yourself.

12. Moe the Dog
    February 4, 2010 1:10 pm

Is bucdaddy advocating we bomb Maryland if West Virginia doesn’t straighten up?

13. CrashJK
    February 4, 2010 1:22 pm

Perfect reason we don’t let either Pitt or WVU into Beaver Stadium….Happy Valley has class…bwahahahaha….

14. C.S. Keys
    February 4, 2010 1:34 pm

Yeah, you’d rather play teams like Eastern Illinois.

15. Nicole
    February 4, 2010 1:36 pm

Disclaimer: Like Michelle, I have an undergraduate and a law degree from Pitt; so I’m a HUGE Pitt fan. That being said, as a Louisville fan (my hometown) I jumped at tix to see UL play last Saturday in WV. I was appalled, but not surprised, when the student section started the “Karen Sypher” chants. The same topic, btw, that Pitt and Kentucky’s administrations asked the leaders of their respective student sections to avoid during their home games against Louisville. And you know what? Those student sections – even that of KY, Louisville’s most hated rival (think Pitt/PSU) – complied. But did WVU? Noooo. Nice.

I’m not sure at what point WVU became the Oakland Raider of college athletics, but like many others, I refuse to go to a Pitt/WVU football game because I am legitimately concerned that I might be harmed. That some idiot would throw a potentially harmful object on the court in disgust over a call is further evidence, imo, that the WVU fan base (read, for the most part: student section) is out of control and lacks even basic human decency. There are rowdy fans and “hostile” venues all over the country, but I can’t think of another place where opposing fans actually *fear for their personal safety* when they attend a home game.

The university should be fined by the BE, if not the NCAA, over what transpired in the Coliseum last night because that type of behavior is not acceptable nor should it be a source of pride. (WVU fans, I’m looking at you)

February 4, 2010 1:48 pm

Moe the Dog,

And that would be a problem why?

Michelle:

Clay-Battelle? North Marion? Grafton?

17. Monty
    February 4, 2010 2:52 pm

Jets make the AFC championship game. Republican takes Teddy’s seat. West Virginian has enough money to throw away a perfectly good coin.

I’ll be in the fallout shelter if you need me.

18. Bojack
    February 4, 2010 3:43 pm

Jerry Springer, Maury Povich Show (Pitt) vs. Hee Haw (WVU)

nuff said!

19. Sooska
    February 4, 2010 4:35 pm

I take issue with Pitt fans being derided for the work of one Facebook joke, when it was a LOT of WVU fans that participated last night, and at other times. FOR YEARS. in vast numbers.

WVU fans behave that way because for years they themselves were more “entertaining” than any of their teams. Occasionally, these days, they have a good or decent year in one sport, then it’s back to oblivion.

20. Randi (MountaineerHoo)
    February 4, 2010 6:10 pm

I’m a WVU grad, and in the past ten years, so many things have gone downhill — especially the behavior of the student body. Last night was appalling, and it was one of those times where I was embarrassed to be a Mountaineer (and it makes me so glad I went elsewhere for my masters). I can only hope all of this well-deserved backlash will allow administration to wake up and put a stop to such ridiculous behavior.
    bucdaddy — love the headline! That makes me happy to have worked with you!

21. cmd_45
    February 4, 2010 6:38 pm

I think the obvious thing to remember here is that it is still A GAME!! If any student responsible for any atrocity last night hit the books with as much fervor then WVU AND Pitt would graduate more students.

22. Still A. Fan
    February 4, 2010 7:16 pm

bucdaddy, if a teacher tried to take a letter grade away from my kid because her neighbor’s cellphone went off, i guaraneffingtee ya it would be put back after me and said teacher had a real nice 5 minute chat. :)

ginny, ew, are you advocating it’s ok to take a browns fan to a home game? i would eat the cost of the ticket even at broker prices and have an empty seat beside me before i’d take a browns fan. shudder.

February 4, 2010 9:10 pm

Miss you, Randi Hoo!

Still A. Fan,

His classroom, his rules. Good luck.

24. Michelle
    February 5, 2010 10:15 am

@ bucdaddy:

East Fairmont

I’ve been blue and gold for a very long time. :)

25. Kevin
    February 5, 2010 10:30 am

This is the same school (WVU) that when they played their last game at home against PSU, sold shirts depicting the Mountanieer sexually abusing PSU cheerleaders, the same schoo, that injure a University Of Miami Football Coach by throwing a trash can onto his head from the stands as he entered the locker room tunnel area, the same city that continually celebrates by burning things. You know what? It’s not an aberation, it’s how you live! This has been going on for years,never addressed or corrected . If you see this garbage, and turn in the culprits, you are endorsing and encouraging the behavior. SICK MENTALITY that unfortunately cheapens that degree that anyone who attends WVU earns. Right or worong, you are judged as a whole, so do the right thing and start the trend of turning in the minority of IDIOTS in any venue where this takes place. I the Hood,you snitch, you get hurt. Is Morgantown the hood or not? I don’t believe it is. Pitt fans, smarten up and don’t stoop to the levels that WVU has already.

26. Kevin
    February 5, 2010 10:32 am

apologies for not hitting spell check before send on previous post.

27. LaReina
    February 5, 2010 12:38 pm

As a W.Va. resident and WVU fan, I’m disgusted by the Mountaineer fans’ behavior the other night. I’m a native Pittsburgher and love the rivalry, but let’s be honest: the Pitt fans behave just as horribly and profanely at the Pete. I know, I’ve attended Pitt-WVU games in Oakland. How about if BOTH groups grow up and stop acting like donkey’s rear ends? Please?

28. HdoubleA
    February 5, 2010 1:10 pm

WVU is always like this. Although I have to say I did enjoy watching the Ohio State-WVU game where the TV microphones picked up the crowd continuously chanting “F*ck you Turner” (OSU star Evan Turner) the whole game and CBS never thought to move their crowd mics.

29. PittinDC
    February 5, 2010 7:28 pm

Duke fans are not always clever – they are often downright mean. You should have heard what they yelled at Juan Dixon. I’m sure his brother has never heard such horrible things during a game.

30. Still A, Fan
    February 5, 2010 7:59 pm

i dont think so. lets see the principal back him up when i get there. i am very…..persuasive.

February 5, 2010 10:52 pm

Still A. Fan:

Principal? Of a college?

The professor in question is Walter E. Williams, the John M. Olin Distinguished Professor of Economics at George Mason University.

Persuade him? I’d enjoy watching that.

32. Stephen Stonestreet