I’m SORRY!

I know.  Snow snow snow.  I didn’t want to post any more about the snowstorm, but there’s two things I need to say.

1.  Nice headline, WTAE:

NIGHTMARE!

2.  I’m going to burn in hell with pigeons pecking my eyeballs out because I got quite a few chuckles out of this video from WTAE.

You realize, don’t you, that WTAE went and found the slippiest (DING!) sidewalk/intersection they could in downtown Pittsburgh and then they set their camera up there and just waited for people to start falling and BOY, did they hit the candid camera jackpot. I myself have TWICE fallen downtown while trying to navigate icy sidewalks while wearing heels, and I’m pretty relieved there wasn’t a camera crew filming it because I would have bitch-slapped that camera off of its tripod before kicking snow all over the news reporter like she was an ump that made a bad call at home plate.

But yeah, burning in hell for laughing a little.

It’s okay.  I’m a believer in karma and I already know that I’m going to fall on my ass again the next time I’m downtown.

IT’S IN THE BIBLE.  “And she did laugheth at the people who were overcome by the elements and verily, she was smote.”

1. spoon
    February 8, 2010 4:16 pm

If i knew she was recording live down there I would have been behind her and totally embellished a fall complete with screams and moans “OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD JANELLE HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE”

2. lisa
    February 8, 2010 4:21 pm

WTAE cameraman was walking down my street in Greenfield today. I guess looking for any items of interest, he stopped to film the Verizon wire hanging loose from my house. Wow, theres snow damage there, all right. Probably be a lead story or something.

3. Zone
    February 8, 2010 4:27 pm

Whattya doing wearing heels in a snowstorm? You a Pittsburgh girl or what? ;-)

February 8, 2010 4:29 pm

@ spoon — yeah, you’d like that, wouldn’tcha?

5. ILLAIM
    February 8, 2010 4:38 pm

“Ten people have fell in the last 15 minutes” lol

Long as nobody got hurt and that footage, I can’t knock anyone for laughing at it.

Lightweight evil idea by the Channel 4 producers tho….

6. Still A Fan
    February 8, 2010 4:49 pm

Smote is such an awesome word!

7. bluzdude
    February 8, 2010 4:54 pm

People falling down will never stop being funny. Which puts me in mind of something Mel Brooks once said, regarding the difference between comedy and tragedy.

“Comedy is when you fall down an open man-hole. Tragedy is when I cut my finger.”

8. Sooska
    February 8, 2010 4:57 pm

Fire and Ice by Robert Frost

Some say the world will end in fire,
    Some say in ice.
    From what I’ve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice,
    I think I know enough of hate
    To say that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice

9. Magnus Patris
    February 8, 2010 5:06 pm

Haha! Other people’s pain and embarrassment is funny. Where’s the “Benny Hill” music in the background as people fall. Maybe put it in fast motion or super slo-mo. Sheeesh!

10. Beth P
    February 8, 2010 5:41 pm

I watched the video, knowing full well what it was about. Still giggled and snorted until the other folks in the house had to come see what I was giggling and snorting about. Thanks for making our day. We have been trapped together long enough that it was time hide the sharp objects.

11. Craig
    February 8, 2010 7:24 pm

At least you won’t slip and fall on ice in Hell.

February 8, 2010 7:43 pm

I went to Point Park, the college with the second-story bridge across Wood Street. One extremely slippy winter day dozens of us gathered at the bridge windows and watched poor hapless working bastards try to cross the sheet of ice that was 3rd Avenue, cheering the ones that fell loud enough that I’m sure they heard us. I’m surprised we weren’t placing bets. Maybe because we had no money.

Burn in hell? I’ll keep a seat warm for you.

13. Dash66
    February 8, 2010 8:12 pm

Don’t worry I’ll be smoted(?) as well because I couldn’t stop laughing when the guy slipped and hit his head!

14. Erin
    February 8, 2010 8:15 pm

I just shake my head and pretend I’m just “visiting” DC rather than living here. You would think we just got slammed with an earthquake, tsunami, hurricane, blizzard, tornado, insert natural disaster here ___________. People are crazy. Friday morning Lowes handed out shovels like it was a black Friday special. Shelves at the grocery store were empty, the lines were up every isle and one lady even had 9 loafs of bread in her cart. Cracks me up. Though a little bit of Pittsburgh is here with my as my neighbor put a chair in his shoveled out space, classic!

15. Julie_Gong
    February 8, 2010 10:15 pm

although i was all over downtown for some reason today i thankfully missed this corner.

16. Political Party Pooper
    February 8, 2010 10:59 pm

We have a little storm coming tonight to Wisconsin. 6-10 inches. Should be fun.

I recently tore my left rotator cuff and biceps tendon, so I’ll be doing my snowblowing one handed…Look Ma!!!!

February 8, 2010 11:43 pm

Know what’s a better movie than it has any right to be?

“Snow Day,” with Chris Elliott.

18. Just A Simple Man
    February 9, 2010 7:01 am

@ bucdaddy

Elliot is classic as “Snowplow Man”

19. lmmlaw
    February 9, 2010 7:18 am

6-10″ more on the way in my neighborhood that still looks like Siberia. Joy! Worse yet, we are now entering day two of both school and DAYCARE being closed. Is that the sound of the approaching apocalypse I hear?

20. butcher's dog
    February 9, 2010 7:27 am

@craig: Now that the Saints have won the Super Bowl, there may indeed be a slick patch or two in Hell. Just sayin’.

21. Traveller
    February 9, 2010 7:43 am

Do I get to coin the term Son of Snowmageddon?
    Of course now that I have, we’ll get nothing today.
    But I did make a supply run, just incase.
    And here’s a toast to all the guys in and around the city that have their own pick up mounted snow plows that hit the streets just because it’s fun.

22. BIGGEORGE
    February 9, 2010 9:50 am

When I last lived in Pittsburgh in the early 90’s, we had a bad snow. I cleaned off my car and an area in front and back so I could pull in and out. I left a chair in the space.

When I came back, someone had pulled in front of the chair. I moved the chair and pulled in behind them. My car started to slide on ice and it pushed the car in front into the snow bank.

I pulled out, put the chair back, and took another parking space!!!!

BIGGEORGE

23. Michelle Smiles
    February 9, 2010 10:38 am

So glad I don’t work in downtown Pittsburgh this week – I totally would have been caught falling on my butt for the news.

I fell down the steps at the Wharf after an ice storm one year. Thankfully, no camera crew. I bought ugly snow boots the next day.

24. wckdcll
    February 9, 2010 11:02 am

I am going to hell and saving your seat Ginny because that was some really funny shit!!!!

Oh and later I will probably fall and break an arm just for laughing….karma…

25. Bloomfield Mike
    February 9, 2010 1:07 pm

I want Guy Costa and I want his revenge! I want his plow I don’t wanna be Luke’s friend!

26. red pen mama
    February 9, 2010 1:19 pm

I’m going to set up a camera to cover my front stoop, complete with ice-encased bucket o’ salt. and then send the kids out to play.

27. Cassie
    February 9, 2010 1:52 pm

@Erin, don’t you find it comical that everyone’s out of snow shovels? I mean, seriously, last time I checked it was February. Sure there’s an assload of snow on the ground, but c’mon. It’s snowed before!