It’s Randy Baumann, bitch.

A conversation with my Brother in Law last week.

BIL: Where the hell is Randy Baumann?

Me: I have no freaking clue, and believe me, I have asked around.  No one knows.

BIL: [sigh]

Me: That bad?

BIL: [sigh]

Me: How bad?

BIL: It’s painfully bad without him.  Horrible. Val is there and she’s good and Jim is awesome, but Randy was the one that made everything work.  Without him it’s just …

Me: [sigh?]

BIL: Yeah.

Well, good news BIL!

WDVE-FM (102.5) morning host Randy Baumann will be back on the air — on WDVE.  The radio station announced today that Mr. Baumann, who had vanished suddenly from the morning show in January, and Jim Krenn have signed multiyear contracts with Clear Channel-Radio Pittsburgh.

My question, do you think they have been negotiating with Randy the entire time, or do you suppose they restarted negotiations  with him after they realized how [sigh] it was without him?

My guess? The latter.

1. Elmer Fudd
    February 16, 2010 5:34 pm

I call DVE a couple weeks ago and asked the station manager what was going on. He told me that Randy’s contract was up and that Val and Jim was on a contract extension. It looks like they were using Randy as a whipping boy to show the other two what would happen if they did not also take the new offer. I am glad Randy’s back. His humor was sorely missed.

2. Scott
    February 16, 2010 5:41 pm

I didn’t realize there were still people out there who don’t listen to satellite radio.

3. Joe K.
    February 16, 2010 6:23 pm

I’d find it strange if they weren’t negotiating the whole time, I mean it’s not like nobody knew the contract was up. Did the ratings change when he left? In any case it’s good to have him back. I hope they do their world tour somewhere around here this spring.

4. Elmer Palmer
    February 16, 2010 7:24 pm

I knew this would happen when they didn’t slap the franchise tag on him. I know, he’s old and really can’t carry a line like he use to, but stil, without his the entire thing falls apart.

I hears from the inside that they planned to do a ‘henry blake’ on his, but that woulda been totally classless

5. J
    February 16, 2010 8:10 pm

I feel like I’m the only person who really doesn’t care for Randy. He seems like a nice enough guy, don’t get me wrong, but there was a definite turn toward a more Howard Stern-lite, kind of trashier vibe from the morning show after Scott Paulsen left. I definitely find come of the stuff borderline offensive, certainly not completely safe for work.

6. PA Girl in VA
    February 16, 2010 8:51 pm

I think Baumann disappeared on purpose, you know, just to prove a point. Wait, that’s stupid – no one would ever do that.

7. Liz
    February 16, 2010 9:38 pm

I am delighted that Randy is back! Did you ever bake something and forget the baking power? Yep, that was the DVE Morning Show without Randy. Flat. Plus, while the rest of the crew have their favorites, Randy has always been the guy who seemed to know something about music. WELCOME BACK, RANDY! Happy to hear you.

8. Angry Mongo
    February 16, 2010 11:18 pm

I found it funny that they were posting his job on the DVE website and that there was virtually no explanation for his disappearance/hiatus/drying out at Promises (kidding on that last one.)

It has been pretty bad these past few weeks. This is pretty much why I listen to NPR now full time.

I was really expecting Paulsen to come out of retirement like Sean Connery in Never Say Never Again.

February 16, 2010 11:43 pm

is ‘DVE still around?

10. red pen mama
    February 17, 2010 9:05 am

I don’t listen to WDVE much, but I like switching over from NPR on my drive in every now and again. Without Randy it was like listening to silence. I like the sports guy (I’m not going to attempt to spell his name), and Val and Krenn are fine (they are pros), but Randy made it entertaining. I’m not going to argue that he was thoughtful or brought the level of discourse in morning radio up to high levels, but he was definitely entertaining.

Plus he’s a Erie boy (graduated with my little brother), and it was nice to know he was doing well for himself in the ‘burgh.

They hinted today that there was a big show of support from the public, so my guess is ‘DVE restared negotiations.

It’s nice to have him back.

11. red pen mama
    February 17, 2010 9:06 am

Kudos to @PA Girl in VA.

12. Dan (Not Onarato)
    February 17, 2010 9:53 am

Agree with #5…he seems like a nice guy but…

Also think that the ratings dipped when he left because the show was flat. Kind of like when Paulsen was no longer on the show. Actually thought Paulsen was going to come back and kind of looked forward to it. Oh well.

Welcome back Randall.

13. TBD
    February 17, 2010 9:59 am

Who’s Randy Baumann and what is the DVE thing you speak of? Oh, that’s the station w/ Hillgrove and Tunch doing the Stiller games. Nevermind. Back to Sirius/XM I go…

14. Margie
    February 17, 2010 10:08 am

I always felt that Randy is the commentator and Jim is the color guy. The color guy can’t survive without the commentator and that was apparent over the last couple weeks. It was great to hear him on the radio this morning.

15. Beth
    February 17, 2010 10:50 am

I have an iPod and satellite radio, so the DVE morning show is the only thing I listen to on the radio anymore.

But I get really tired of hearing them talk about American Idol and Jersey Shore.

16. TripleC
    February 17, 2010 2:18 pm

Yinzer nation rejoices! Yipeeeee……(TIC)

Glad to know I can continue to tune in and listen to the same playlist they were using back in 1986. A-W-E-S-O-M-E!

17. Megan
    February 17, 2010 7:37 pm

LOL @ PA Girl in VA :) Its good to have Randy back!

18. Bojack
    February 19, 2010 1:16 pm

NOTE TO SELF:

If reincarnation exists figure out ANY way to be on US Winter Olympic team to get to hang out with the female curlers!!!!!!!!!!!
    :-)