Random n’at

1.  I’m knocking on wood and throwing salt over my shoulder and stabbing this here Marian Hossa voodoo doll right in the crotch as hard as I can, so I can tell you that I’m one of the few lucky homeowners in Pittsburgh whose home has not yet sprung a leak from all of this snow.

Twitter is full of Burghers posting pictures of leaks and wall bubbles.  If my house does spring a leak, I’m going to take it out on Marian Hossa.

2.  I’ve been watching the Olympics and I gotta say a few things.  First, it is nice to see Ryan Malone on my TV again.  And second, I’m pretty sure I would be a kickass curl skip.  Third, I may take up snowboarding just so I have an excuse to buy and wear the USA Olympic Snowboarding team’s uniform.  I bet I could really make those jeans look awesome as I’m rushed into the emergency room with blood shooting out of my ears.

3.  Jeff Verszyla is on twitter telling us that the snow storm rumored to hit Sunday and Monday possibly dumping up to a foot of new snow on us is actually going to be more rain than snow.  If he is wrong and we get hit with more snow, this Marian Hossa doll can be turned into a Jeff Verszyla doll with a few strokes of a Sharpie.

4.  Today Mike Woycheck and I visited Children’s Hospital for a meeting and that means I’ll have an update on Make Room for Kids for you later tonight. It is so exciting what we’re going to do over there with the $14,000 you donated. I think you’ll love it, and if you don’t, I can glue some curly hair and some do me boots on this doll and you can just go nuts on it.

5.  Reader Charles sent me this from Overhead Everywhere:

I’m not saying it was me that said that.  I’m saying I might have to try to take a pigeon down by swinging a cheese wheel because that sounds pretty freaking awesome.

6.  Pitt footballer Elijah Wood Fields (IT’S BEEN A LONG DAY!) was kicked off the team for posting a video on Twitter of him partying with girls and drinking alcohol, because NO ONE in college parties with girls and drinks alcohol.

Here’s a picture he posted on his twitter account, which has since been taken down, but his twitpic account is still up and public:

What is that?  Like $50,000?

When I was a senior in college, the most mad money I ever had on my person at any one time was maybe ten dollars and some ramen noodles.

(h/t Mondesi’s House)

7.  If you haven’t yet read my “Respect the Parking Chair” post over at the Pittsburgh Magazine blog, check it out here.  I’m one of those people that believes in the winter-time parking chair.  Monday, a new post will be up about how scared I am when I have to drive in snow and ice. But I have a good reason for being that way!  And that reason is that I’m a wuss.  My March column is also up and it gives credit to Pittsburgh for helping to save the children of BRESMA.

8.  I have a massive headache and the reason that I have a massive headache is because I drove from my house to the hospital in Lawrenceville to Oakland and then back to the hospital to return Mike to his car after our lunch.  Driving doesn’t give me a headache, but Burghers, playing DON’T GET EATEN BY THE POTHOLES will.

You know how like in a disaster movie there will be a scene where two people are in a car fleeing, perhaps from a meteor storm or perhaps from lava bombs raining down from a nearby erupting volcano or perhaps from cows being flung from an approaching tornado, and the driver of the car will be turning the steering wheel hard left then right then left trying to avoid certain death and the passenger is screaming things like, “LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT, COW!, LEFT?”

Yeah, that was pretty much how it was driving the streets of Pittsburgh today.

But it’s okay.  When I got home I took it out on my Marian Hossa doll.

1. Jared
    February 19, 2010 6:27 pm

I didn’t know Frodo was playing for Pitt!

2. Still A, Fan
    February 19, 2010 6:27 pm

it might not be a picture of his, it could just be a picture he found and likes…

maybe he was running a high stakes super bowl grid and he already put the winnings from each score change into neat little packets?

maybe he was holding a poker game?

maybe the boosters association brought it over for him along with the escorts?

maybe he runs the dope?

maybe he has an ebay store where he sells homemade crafts?

maybe he’s a man whore?

3. Bojack
    February 19, 2010 6:30 pm

#2-

I’ve become a women’s curling fanatic!!!

It’s absolutely hypnotizing!!

And the gals are pretty sharp too! :-)

4. bluzdude
    February 19, 2010 6:32 pm

I think Elijah Wood knocked over a bank.

If this were CSI-Pittsburgh, I’d have my techs zoom in on the laptop screen and see if they could tell whose it is.

5. gunnlino
    February 19, 2010 7:00 pm

Re Elijah, my home boy, He either found that box of big bucks on the bus or he bes the local big time candy man, ifen you knows what I mean.

February 19, 2010 7:02 pm

frodo — ha, that’s funny!

methinks ginny means elijah fields.

and, yes, that’s an assload of benjamins.

7. Virginia
    February 19, 2010 7:07 pm

I was all, “This Frodo joke, I don’t get it.”

My brain is SO fried. ;)

Thanks for catching that!

8. one-eyed dick
    February 19, 2010 7:24 pm

Dear Elijah,

I hope you were able to ransom back your little sister from the kidnappers…..

Did you know those goons from Philly are taking credit for the Pittsburgh Parking Chair? http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20100217_Parking-space_etiquette__Chair-ish_is_the_word.html?viewAll=Y&text=#comments

It’s one thing for them to employ our beloved invention, but to consider it a “Philadelphia tradition” is nothing short of blasphemy.

9. Shibori
    February 19, 2010 8:08 pm

I think the Pittsburgh Curling Club still plays at Neville Island. I bet they’d love to have you. Also, from what they’ve told me, there is a lot of drinking involved with curling.

10. Still A Fan
    February 19, 2010 10:17 pm

1ID – i dont think they tried to take credit for the chair, they just say they do it. I’ve lived out here since ’91 and i would say on the 6 mile leg of my commute that goes through the city neighborhoods, I pass over 200 chairs easily. the funny thing is, by the time all the spots are dug out and it’s a full week or more later – cant they take the chairs in?

wikipedia does call it “the pittsburgh parking chair” but does not know the true origin. we need to put snopes.com on it.

11. Sooska
    February 20, 2010 9:16 am

Do you think a Luke Ravenstahl doll would sell? (Voodoo pins included.)

I love curling. Loved it 4 years ago. love it now. Ginny, you’d be a great skip.
    Hogline!
    Shot Rock!
    Rah! Rah! Rah!

I set up a Facebook group “NBC is out to DESTROY ICE HOCKEY.” What awful coverage, except for Doc Emerick. The games have been great though. Ryan Malone and Jagr must come back, salary cap be damned. Sid is unreal.

12. Jeff
    February 21, 2010 9:32 am

I don’t want to sound like a know-it-all, and there is the possibility that Virginia and other readers are aware of all of the circumstances surrounding Elijah Fields’ dismissal from the Pitt football team and I’m just not getting that because — and you’ll like this — I went snowboarding for the first time yesterday and basically have blood shooting out of my ears. But, there’s more to this story than what has been reported on this page.

Fields was (and still is) a can’t-miss-talent who, because of his ability, was given more chances by Coach Wannstedt to make up for being late to meetings, not being in shape or “violating team rules” than any other Pitt player in recent memory. He blew every single one of those chances, and was even suspended for a season. There is also a chance that he alienated his teammates by refusing to study the defensive playbook, if frantic gesticulations in the direction of Aaron Berry seconds before every snap are anything to go by.

So, yes, college kids do drink and party with girls. But college kids who are also athletes can’t get away with that if it’s the third, fourth, fifth or 19th time that they’ve made the news for the wrong reasons. There’s more than a hint of inequality in that statement, but that doesn’t make it untrue.

(see Paul Zeise’s blog The Redshirt Diaries at post-gazette.com for more)

13. Virginia
    February 21, 2010 2:02 pm

Hey, Jeff.

Just wanted you to know that my little comment about about drinking and partying with girls wasn’t meant to say he shouldn’t have been let go from the team. I posted the picture to show readers that obviously since everyone drinks and parties at college, just about, he’s clearly got bigger problems and that’s why he was let go. ;)

14. Karyn
    February 22, 2010 7:20 am

#7- Dawson Street in Greenfield is parking chair heaven. If there was a place for me to park i’d have taken pictures. There were the following: metal folding chairs, actual orange cones, wooden dining room chairs with plaid fabric seat cushions, a black faux leather comupter chair that was missing the back rest.

It was awesome and i’m pissed i didnt get pictures! But i couldn’t steal their spaces just to take pictures of thier chairs.

15. Jeff
    February 22, 2010 11:45 am

Hi, Virginia:

I got it. I guess a mountain continually smacking the back of my head really didn’t allow for me to understand the tenor of the original post.

But, seriously, though, what IS up with that picture?