Offensive Winter Driving

Working on a BRESMA update for you, in the meantime, you can bloop-bloop-bloop down for a Make Room for Kids update and a Penguins post or you can head over to Pittsburgh Magazine to read about how I’m scared of driving in PRECIPITATION!, most especially WINTER! PRECIPITATION!

[blood-curdling scream]

1. Ecstatic Pitt Student
    February 22, 2010 4:03 pm

I make that same Texas to Pittsburgh commute. There is no way in hell I would ever drive. Pittsburgh roads are terrifying, even sans precipitation. Airplanes can suck too (I remember you wrote about a crappy experience with DFW…I could spend days writing on that subject) but Pittsburgh…hills..potholes…one way streets…streets that change names every block…nooo thank you.

2. bluzdude
    February 22, 2010 4:48 pm

Hilarious…

But one thing that can happen in “neutral” is that you can drift down an enormous Pittsburgh hill and wind up in the river.

Usually when I wake up and the world is spinning, I have a pretty good idea why, and it usually has to do with my actions in the previous hours.

3. Joe K.
    February 22, 2010 4:54 pm

RE: Driving in neutral. You need to shift into 2nd or 1st gear to get engine braking, so the car can slow down without as much braking applied. This must be in the chromosomes because you’re the second woman I’ve heard in the last week say that they shift into neutral!

4. SpudMom
    February 22, 2010 7:47 pm

@JoeK – well, this woman knows to avoid neutral and head for the lower gears!

5. Rich
    February 22, 2010 8:59 pm

Second comment on that article is from none other that Scott R. Priester.

All I have to say is… *facepalm*.

6. niccolle
    February 22, 2010 10:36 pm

Rich, I was just coming here to make the comment about Scott R. Priester. Ginny finally bans his vitriol (with justification) and he goes to the next place.
    I also think at PGHeastender is Mr. Priester as well…
    Goodness, that man must have a miserable existence to spill all of that nastiness….

7. niccolle
    February 22, 2010 10:37 pm

I meant @PGHEastender on Twitter. Whoops.

8. lmmlaw
    February 23, 2010 9:13 am

You all *really* need to look him up on Facebook. What a tool. His ego seriously rivals Lukey’s.

9. red pen mama
    February 23, 2010 9:14 am

Last November, my car slid on a patch of ice, and crashed through a wooden fence, clipped a telephone pole, and broadsided a parked car. The feelings of weightlessness and helplessness are things I hope never, ever to feel again in my entire life. I’m a former Erie girl, and I know how to drive in snow.

Most of the time, I would really prefer not to. I’d join that support group.

10. Lauren
    February 23, 2010 9:56 am

My husband from Arkansas seconds your sentiment : )

I was smart enough to demand the 4 wheel drive vehicle from my parents. 160,000 miles and more snowstorms than I can count (including several in AZ and NM) and it’s still one of my smarter moves as a teenager. Of course, I still don’t think my dad understands how I wound it up with it and he wound up with the rear wheel drive sedan…