Quote of the day!

Here’s an article about Pittsburgh possibly hosting the Winter Classic at either PNC Park or Heinz Field in 2011, which, SQUEE!, however the best part of this link has nothing to do with that.

Pittsburgh Pirate Neil Walker, who used to be number 19 is now wearing number 18 since newly signed Church asked for number 19.  When asked if he objected to the number change, Walker said:

“Nah. Eighteen, 19, they look the same to the untrained eye.”

Putting aside the fact that Walker is incredibly cool and without ego about this, is he saying that one has to train their eye to differentiate between the 8 and the 9?

Challenge accepted.

1. Dan (Not Onarato)
    February 23, 2010 9:44 am

I saw that as well…its going to be a long season isnt it?

2. Monty
    February 23, 2010 9:51 am

Maybe one of the teachers out there can weigh in on whether the public schools are now teaching that “untrained” is a synonym for “cock.”

February 23, 2010 9:54 am

Monty,

I hope not. Cause I don’t think that when a gentleman and his ladyfriend are in the throes of passion, shouting, “Suck my untrained!” is going to get him anything but shoved on the floor.

4. summer78
    February 23, 2010 10:02 am

I think he was just trying to be funny. He is one of the nicest, most easy going guys I know.

5. Karen
    February 23, 2010 10:07 am

I am more concerned that they are letting anyone wear Van Slyke’s old number…this troubles me…LOL!!

6. PA Girl in VA
    February 23, 2010 10:29 am

That comment might actually explain why some folks in the Pirates organization think it’s OK (or haven’t even noticed) that 17 losing seasons is no big deal. Shoot, if all the numbers look alike, I guess the Pirates probably think they’ve been winning all along.

7. Joe42ppc
    February 23, 2010 11:22 am

Wow….focus here people. It’s just a stupid number. That is why he didnt care. If you see how dedicated he is, how hard he works, you guys wouldnt be picking apart something as stupid as the quote above. Maybe people should focus on how stupid it is to come in to a new MLB team and ask a player to have his number.

Pirates just need some upper management philosophy changes.

8. summer78
    February 23, 2010 11:31 am

Well said Joe!

9. Dan (Not Onarato)
    February 23, 2010 11:31 am

Yeah I was just kidding…Im sure hes just happy to be at spring training

10. cathy
    February 23, 2010 12:09 pm

Wish the deal with the pens management would have gone through…. I miss baseball!! and have been for 17 years!

11. efw_west
    February 23, 2010 12:12 pm

The winter hockey classic would be the most meaningful event held in PNC park since the Bruce Springsteen Rising tour several years back. Baseball is certainly irrelevant.

12. Dan (Not Onarato)
    February 23, 2010 12:14 pm

The hockey classic would be better at Heinz field but thats just me

13. Sooska
    February 23, 2010 1:03 pm

The Pens don’t want another winter classic while opening a new arena. At best, they are cool to the idea.

This is the Buccos of Suck’s way of thumbing their noses and flipping off Mario for suggesting a sale. Presumptuous, if they went directly to the NHL.

The walker quote thing may explain the reason the Buccos don’t recognize the difference between 99 LOSSES and 103 WINS (Yankees.) They look the same to the untrained eye. *blink blink squint wink*

14. Sheila
    February 23, 2010 1:23 pm

Don’t forget Neil Walker is a true Burgher product of Pine Richland high school. Word is he is willing to switch positions to stay on the team, which can only mean he really loves his hometown b/c usually when you get traded from the Pirates you win a World Series.

15. Craig
    February 23, 2010 2:28 pm

I’m digging the ‘untrained eye’ comment b/c Neil is a Burgher, he seems to be a cool dude, it’s funny, and, oddly enough, it is TRUE, even if most folk’s eyes get trained by like age 3, or is that 4?

Here’s an idea, the Bucs could play a game at Consol! Hey, it couldn’t hurt, not that all the suckyy, losey stuff gets to me, I’ll always pull for them.

16. Traveller
    February 23, 2010 3:21 pm

I’m sorry. Being a guy, my mind went to a different place. Double Entendre-land.
    “18 (year old hottie), 19 (year old hottie); they look the same to an untrained eye.”

But that’s just me.

17. Burghthing
    February 23, 2010 5:56 pm

I’m with Traveller on this one. I guess that makes me a dirty old man.

18. JJ
    February 23, 2010 6:28 pm

@karen

I totally agree, they should’ve retired #18 after Van Slyke, one of my favorite pirates ever. Come to think of it we haven’t had much luck since then. Lol! Maybe we’ll have a team like that again some day. A girl can dream!

19. Carly
    February 23, 2010 10:34 pm

What a cool guy!

February 24, 2010 10:12 am

I can’t tell 18 from 19 either. Hell, I can’t tell 14 from 24. The judge agreed he couldn’t either, but he still gave me two years for that unfortunate incident at the middle school. I THOUGHT she was one of the teachers.

21. efw_west
    February 24, 2010 11:11 am

@JJ, yes Van Slyke did a lot of good here, but I still can’t quite forgive him for taking a called third strike in the 91 NLCS game against Atlanta, when a measly single would have tied the game and potentially sent us to the World Series.