Earning the “sus”

(source)

Not to get all preachy on your asses, but have you ever noticed how shitty people can be?

Like, there are people in this world who when faced with two choices of 1. be a negative asshole and 2. DON’T be a negative asshole, they will always choose number 1.  It doesn’t matter if they’re reading a blog, waiting for some pedestrians to cross a street, or if they’re being accosted for autographs.  “THIS IS A STUPID BLOG BUT I’M GOING TO KEEP READING IT JUST SO I CAN CONTINUE TO TELL YOU HOW STUPID YOU ARE!” “HURRY UP, CRIPPLED LADY!” “EFF OFF, KIDS!”

Then there are those people who seem to be incapable of being a negative asshole and one of those people is Troysus Polamalu.

[chorus of angels vocalizing]

This story appears first in Arizona where it happened and has since been picked up by the boys at 96.1 and by my colleague over at Pittsburgh Magazine, Sean Conboy.

Go read what Troysus did for some kids, the most important part being this:

And then Polamalu had a better idea.  He gathered up some of the kids and headed outside for a game of pick-up football.

They got to play a pickup game of football with Troysus Polamalu for more than 30 minutes, which, had I been there, we would not have started that game without a long discussion of why it is vital that we play shirts versus skins and why it is crucial to the survival of all that is good and decent and nom-tastic in this world that Troysus be on the skins team.

[sigh]

Listen, I understand Troy Polamalu is human (?) and that he has faults (?) and that he can’t possibly be perfect (?).  I’m just saying that in the six years I’ve been blogging, in all the emails I have received from readers telling me about negative encounters they’ve had with various local celebrities, in all the rumors I’ve heard about certain Steelers and local politicians and newscasters, in all the swirling muck of human weakness, never once has anyone written me to let me know that that Troy Polamalu guy is a real negative asshole.

That’s gotta count for something.

Also, it looks warm there in Arizona, so I’d just like to end this post by saying, once again, EFF THIS WINTER.

1. Cindy T.
    February 26, 2010 11:36 am

I actually heard angels singing.

February 26, 2010 11:43 am

Troy really seems to have the right attitude (along with Jamie and Ali) about why we were put on Earth. Imagine what would happen to your city if everyone *coughRavenstahlcough* acted like an adult grateful for what he or she has been handed.

3. hoosierburgher
    February 26, 2010 11:54 am

I used to work at the Bed, Bath and Beyond in Cranberry before I moved to Indiana, and Troy and his wife would come in all the time. We were always respectful of his privacy when he was in, helping him if he needed it, but leaving him alone otherwise.

He was so thankful each time that he came in that we didn’t bother him (and surprisingly enough, neither did the majority of the customers that were in the store) that he would always take a few minutes before he left to take pictures or sign something if we wanted. After the first time that happened, I tended to keep a Terrible Towel in my locker for when he came back!

This doesn’t surprise me at all! He’s a great person all around, and this is one more thing to show that he refuses to let the fame and everything get to him. We need more people like him!

4. Bojack
    February 26, 2010 11:55 am

You and Troy have guilted me into giving up (or trying, LOL) exclamation points for Lent.

But I have to ask, Sea World, 3rd death by the same orca,

What part of the name KILLER whale don’t these goofs understand???

5. Virginia
    February 26, 2010 11:57 am

Readers, did you read what I just read? Bojack GIVING UP EXCLAMATION POINTS FOR LENT?!?

I’m tearing up a bit here.

Love ya, Bojack, even if your opinions get a bit !!!!!!!!!!!!! at times.

6. spoon
    February 26, 2010 11:57 am

Hey Skippy, you see this… this is what its like to be a good person. Quit scammin on Jersey Shore rejects and get with the motherfcking program.

Troy, rock out dude.

7. Bojack
    February 26, 2010 12:04 pm

Moi? :-)

8. facie
    February 26, 2010 12:06 pm

Damn you, Ginny, for bringing a tear to my eye. How can anyone not love the guy, for the love of Pete?!

9. Sooska
    February 26, 2010 12:23 pm

I am leaving for Arizona on Sunday!!!!!!!! No lie. I will look for Troysus floating in the clouds above the Grand Canyon. What a guy! As if we didn’t know that already.

@Bojack re orcas and Sea World: for the same reason GrizzleyMan got eaten. Hubris coupled with supidity.

10. Sooska
    February 26, 2010 12:23 pm

I did it again: sTupidity.

11. Val
    February 26, 2010 12:51 pm

*Swoon.* How can the man make me love him even more?

12. bluzdude
    February 26, 2010 1:00 pm

Troy is one in a million. We’re lucky to have him on our side. Now if we can just keep him off any more video game boxes…

13. one-eyed dick
    February 26, 2010 1:28 pm

Bojack: People come to FLA for the DANGER: killer whales, killer alligators, killer pythons, killer sharks, killer storms, senior drivers…. We LOVE our tourists!

Jeez, oh man, yinz are lucky up ‘ere. Our biggest celebrity here in Sarasota is Jerry Springer. Yay.

We usually have to drive all the way to Bradenton if we want to see somebody really famous like Dick Vitale.

14. Bojack
    February 26, 2010 1:39 pm

@one eye-

Nothing quite matches the Chinese water torture-like experience of being on the wrong side of a large NCAA hoops bet during a game being called by Dick Vitale.

Goin’ to the big dance BABEE… arrrgh

15. Bojack
    February 26, 2010 1:45 pm

PS- @one eye-

I think Dick Vitale would, could do a better job getting terrorists
    to spill their guts than waterboarding…

16. Kathy
    February 26, 2010 1:46 pm

huh? what did you say? I’m still at the part about a shirts vs. skins football game with Troysus….mnumnumnumnum….

17. PA Girl in VA
    February 26, 2010 2:15 pm

I love how, when Ginny posts something to do with goodlooking men behaving gentlemanly, the men-folk get wayyyyy off-topic with their comments and the women incur heart palpitations and swoon (and I don’t blame ’em one bit!).

Go Troy!

18. andrea
    February 26, 2010 2:24 pm

@one-eyed:

Marcella Hazan and Edgar Snyder both have places on Longboat Key. There was also the guy that used to sing on St. Armands and now hawks guitars on HSN or QVC (and he’s a CMU grad).

19. red pen mama
    February 26, 2010 3:22 pm

Seriously, can he please come back here and make it stop snowing?

20. red pen mama
    February 26, 2010 3:23 pm

Preferrably without his shirt on.

Just to stay in the spirit of things.

21. Bojack
    February 26, 2010 3:35 pm

@RPM-

In an entire post where the main theme is extolling TP’s wonderful higher human virtues such as his humility, his selflessness, and his generosity; ONE remark about skins sets the whole henhouse off into a panting, lusting frenzy… interesting…and they say men’s minds live in the gutter? LOL

22. JenOH
    February 26, 2010 7:34 pm

Troy Polamalu is awesome.

23. Autonomous
    February 27, 2010 4:23 pm

Troy is great and a wonderful dude but I bet if he was here having to defend his parking space with his favorite chair and dealing with people being total assholes (probably due in part their own experiences with the current snow-job we’re getting) that he might be a little less friendly and easy-going.

My buddy recently lost his job (it was crap anyhow). He has been dealing with crazy-testy artists (and the kind of insanity that such artist bring – insanity that would cause a mental breakdown for most people). He’s been putting up with all this stuff for weeks along with the generally ineptitude stemming from the nepotism that exists at so many companies and organizations in Pgh.

Today he was giving a lift to a friend and pulled slightly out into the street to let said friend into the car since the snow-bank was too big at the curb. Both these guys are about 300 lbs. They look like psychopaths and NOT like the kind of guys you’d want to pick a fight with.

Some middle-aged yinzer with style straight-out of 1993 pulled up in the road and began honking and trying to pick a fight with them. They calmly told him to get back in the truck several times as he threatened and tried to provoke them. He finally listened but kept running his mouth as he got in his truck.

Where am I going with this???

Troy might be a great guy but I have to wonder how even he would handle himself had he encountered such a stupid-crazy-old yinzer who clearly has snow-madness because he almost got the shit beat out of him by two dudes that are the size of polar bears.

My fellow Pittsburghers this weather sucks for everyone but don’t act like a shithead and make it worse for yourself or your neighbors because you might just be messing with someone who’s had enough.

24. Jmat
    February 27, 2010 9:30 pm

Did Troy re-injure his knee?

25. Ginny's Dad
    February 28, 2010 4:19 pm

What a wonderful story. I would be proud to have him as a son-in-law, but you girls already have great guys.

It still amazes me that Troy made the list of the dirtiest NFL players. He’s got a good heart and he’s a great role model for young and old alike.