Random n’at.

1.  The winner of the two tickets to the Lights! Glamour! Action! event was comment #179 belonging to PghScienceNerd.

She has already responded to my email to claim the tickets.

2.  I understand the standing ovation for Ryan Miller last night. I really do.  In fact, hey, Ryan Miller? [BEWBS!]

But I will never understand any portion of our hometown crowd booing Sidney Crosby for winning a gold medal for his home country.

I bet deep down, Sid never expected to hear himself booed in Mellon Arena.

3.  Las Velas stuff.  First, today Las Velas is the Deal of the Day over at Groupon.  You can buy a $50 gift certificate for only $25.  Woo!

Second, I’ll be tending bar (with professional help) this Friday for Mariachi Night.  The reason I’ll be behind the bar is two-fold.  On one hand, it makes it easier for people to find me that might want to chitchat with me.  Last Mariachi Night, there were a lot of people I never got to talk to and didn’t realize they were there until the next day when they emailed me all, “I was there last night!”  COME TALK TO ME, DAMN IT! Also, I’m going to put a little tip jar out and all tips you put in there for me, I’ll donate to Make Room for Kids.  Maybe I’ll make enough for an extra DS or PSP!

Third, Las Velas will be open for the St. Patrick’s Day parade on March 13 starting at 8:00 a.m. for Mexican breakfast (CHILAQUILES!) and then also serving lunch with Irish tacos and Irish burritos.  I’ll be there for that too because I promised the husband I would lend him a hand that day.  You know.  ACTUALLY WORKING.  I bet he fires me before the day is over.

4.  Watch The Kraken shove a female fan (NOT PAPARAZZI) to the ground after the Olympics:

YouTube Preview Image

And they say chivalry is dead.

5.  Health officials in Vancouver supplied about 14 condoms per Olympic athlete and STILL had to have an emergency 8,500 additional condoms shipped to the Games in order to satisfy the demands of the Olympic sexcapades.

Related, upon hearing this news, Jeff Reed took up curling lessons.

(h/t Erica)

6.  A local woman had a decade-long pen-pal friendship with none other than J.D. Salinger.

So, here’s something I’m ashamed to admit.  I’ve read A LOT of books.  I read probably 40 books a year.  I took countless literature courses in high school and college.  I have never read Catcher in the Rye.

I’m going to change that starting this weekend.

7.  The Post-Gazette’s Bill Toland is a swell guy.  I can say that because I’ve met him in real life.  And he was swell.  He’s shaving his thick hair off for St. Baldrick’s day too, so if you haven’t yet donated to the cause, you can go to his page and do that.  He’s got a ways to go toward his $3,000 goal.  IT’S FOR SICK KIDS!

8.  Reader Tico found former KDKA news hottie Sonni Abatta’s doppleganger, Olympian Tanith Belbin.

HELL of a resemblance, I think.

9.  Finally, let’s have a look at some Facebook groups you can join!

Somewhere, Jeff Reed’s ears just perked up all, “Did someone say suck and blow?”

Gosh, I’ve been picking on Skippy a lot over these last two days.  I’m going to be nice to him for the rest of this week.

1. VeryoldPittgirl
    March 3, 2010 1:46 pm

Rarely (OK maybe not so rarely) am I ashamed of my fellow ‘burghers, but I felt and experienced real shame last night when my Sidney was booed. WTF, WTH and all those other WT’s. He was playing for HIS country all the while doing a whole heck of a lot for hockey and OUR city. PLEASE people – get some class, buy a clue…..something!

2. summer78
    March 3, 2010 1:50 pm

Once again thanks for mentioning St. Baldrick’s. Shameful plug for my own fundraising efforts with them, http://www.stbaldricks.org/participants/sarasummer

Sidney Crosby is the sort of athlete and young man that Pittsburghers should celebrate and be glad they have as a role model for their children. Anybody booing should be ashamed. I hate to see us lose, but I couldn’t help but be happy for Sid.

3. Carpetbagger
    March 3, 2010 1:52 pm

Okay, reading the article you linked, they really weren’t booing Sidney directly, but the replay of his goal on the arena screens. A replay that some dope thought needed to be shown a second time–to increased booing. I can understand booing the play–or maybe the decision to keep showing on the diamondvision–but no ‘Burgher should ever boo the man dressed in black and gold. If I ever see that, we will have words.

4. PittinDC
    March 3, 2010 1:54 pm

The account that I read of the game said that the booing was kind of in a joking way, and then he was cheered – not as loudly as Miller, but still cheered. Was that not the case? I can understand if it was done in a humorous way, but I agree, it’s sad if people were actually booing him. Still, glad to see that Pittsburgh gave Miller the ovation he deserved.

5. DG
    March 3, 2010 2:02 pm

One of only a handful of games I’ve gone to this year, and I must say I was aghast when I heard folks booing when Sid’s name was called in the olympian tribute before the game. I don’t care if they thought they were booing the goal, he’s OUR captain, OUR yougest captain to ever hoist the Stanley Cup, and neither he, nor any of the other olympians, should EVER be boo’d on home ice. And yes, after the video ended, he did get cheers.

6. empirechick
    March 3, 2010 2:22 pm

I was at the game – to me the booing sounded like a good natured ‘boo that the US lost’, definitely not ‘boo Sidney Crosby’. It certainly didn’t have any venom behind it, like say, any time the Flyers or Marion Hossa are in the building.

And after the replay stopped, when they put the spotlight on Sid, he got a huge ovation. Later in the game during a time out, they showed 5 highlights of Sid – #2 was the Olympic goal, which got slight boos, #1 was him lifting the Cup, HUGE cheers. Not to worry, the Burgh still loves him.

7. Matt
    March 3, 2010 2:28 pm

I booed but it wasn’t for Sid winning the gold medal. It was that Sid won the gold by beating USA and someone thought it was a good idea to show the game winning goal TWICE. If he didn’t beat USA for the gold, I would have been happier for him.

8. Addie
    March 3, 2010 3:13 pm

You stay classy, Ovechkin. Anyone who holds this clown in higher regard than Sid needs to get a clue. There was actually an editorial yesterday in the Washington Post, of all places, calling Ovie out for his ridiculous behavior and giving credit to Crosby for being the superior player, it’s worth a read.

9. Heather
    March 3, 2010 3:15 pm

Shout out to #7, Matt, for being an example of what everyone else was referring to. Good game, they won, and he played for his country… booing is just classless.

10. VAgirl
    March 3, 2010 3:20 pm

Hey come on. Get over it, USA got a silver and they were not even expected to do that well. Shame, shame on whoever booed. Real classy ‘burghers. I couldn’t believe it when I heard it. The game, USA and Canada was fantastic. As for Ovie’s behavior, not surprising. He is a DICK!

11. rickh
    March 3, 2010 3:56 pm

I have to agree with the view that the booing was done with humor, not with malice. Like many watching the game on Sunday, the only consolation for the loss was that Sidney scored the golden goal. Good for him, bummer for us.

And thanks for the serving of eye candy today. No, not Ovie. He’s still a douche.

12. Tinare
    March 3, 2010 4:14 pm

Here I was hoping that the booing was just Sabres fans…

13. butcher's dog
    March 3, 2010 4:22 pm

Note to anyone who wants to boo Sid: there are a metric shitload of people who will be happy to claim your spot in the season ticket line. Just give ’em up and stay home.

Ovie’s the TO/Ochostinko of the NHL. Thank goodness he’s currently in a deep minority. Let’s hope it stays that way.

Note: metric shitloads are slightly larger than US-type measure shitloads.

14. George
    March 3, 2010 4:31 pm

Just to put in my two cents since I was at the game last night.

I will respectfully disagree with the other posts that said that the booing was done in humor.
    To me and the other people sitting around me – it definitely did not come across that way.
    Also while the boo’ing was going on – they showed Sid on the jumbo tron and from the look on his face – he didnt seem very happy at all with the reaction of the fans to him.

15. bluzdude
    March 3, 2010 4:35 pm

Unfortunatly, whether it was done in jest or not, the national media is running all kinds of “Penguins Fans Boo Crosby” stories.

Personally, I don’t think you should boo your own guys ever, let alone when the return triumphant from the Olympics.

The US played a heck of a game and had a great tournament. But they were overmatched by a very deep Canadian team, that won fair and square. No need to boo anyone.

Lets Go Pens.

16. Lauren
    March 3, 2010 4:40 pm

“National Hate Sidney Crosby Day” has almost 70,000 fans. All of whom might want to grow up a little bit.

And all of whom are probably from the Washington D.C. or Philadelphia area.

17. elysianfantasy
    March 3, 2010 5:08 pm

Booing Sid = major suckage. However, what piques my interest the most is the apparent lack of condoms for the Olympic athletes. I guess nothing else competes with sex as the best stress reliever before a major lifetime event, huh? And dude, did Sidney get his fair share? And if so, why wasn’t I around to get in on the “action” as it were?

18. Jagoff
    March 3, 2010 5:38 pm

I was at the game last night. The game winning goal was shown on the jumbotron before announcing Sid’s name. The boos came down during the game winning goal and were replaced with polite applause/still some boos when his name was announced. For some reason everyone is making a huge deal out of this.
    The game winner was shown again during Sid’s top 5 highlights. It was number 2 and, again, drew boos. When they showed number 1, Sid raising the Cup, that gave way to cheers.
    Again, this is being blown way out of proportion. People weren’t booing Sid, they were booing Canada beating the USA.

19. Joe K.
    March 3, 2010 7:06 pm

What’s the over/under on the next time Ginny picks on Jeff Reed? I don’t think she can make it the rest of the week . . .

20. Pensgirl
    March 3, 2010 10:52 pm

2. You know if I was there last night, some skulls would have been banged together. Homey don’t play booing Sidney Crosby for ANY reason.

5. I work in health policy and my colleagues and I got a kick out of the article a few weeks ago. The officials supplied 14 condoms per person staying in the Olympic Village, which includes coaches, trainers, etc. We did our own number crunching and came up with 38 condoms per athlete. Then we lopped off 30% – a complete guess – who we figured wouldn’t use them for some reason (age/married/risk taking behavior/etc.) and the number per person rose to 55! The article noted that they don’t start to party until they’re finished with events, so if you take a person who finished competing halfway through, they’d only have a week to use them before the Olympics ended. I was lucky enough to attend these Olympics for a few days, and I was shocked not to see a hormone cloud hovering above the Village!

6. I loved “Catcher in the Rye.” Definitely recommend it.

8. Uncanny.

9. Lauren nailed this one. But those idiots have one thing in common with all of us Pens fans: they pay more attention to our team and our players than they do any other team, including the ones they claim to support. Personally, I got into sports to have something to love and support and enjoy…maybe that makes me the crazy one, but I bet I’m a lot happier than any of those dolts.

21. Pittsburgh Tom
    March 3, 2010 11:34 pm

6. Catcher in the Rye is the only novel I had to read in school that I later went back and read for pleasure. A couple times actually.
    8. I’m not convinced they look alike. You’re going to have to post more pictures of both for me to be sure.

22. Greg
    March 4, 2010 8:42 am

I would love to come and see you bartend, is your restaurant and bar power wheelchair accessible?

booing Sidney Crosby is beyond wrong!

23. PA Girl in VA
    March 4, 2010 10:13 am

Just tossing my 2 cents worth in about Ovechkin. Last March, my husband, son and I traveled to Northern Virginia for an autograph signing event that included several Steelers players. My husband got jerseys signed by Ron Woodson, Heath Miller, Lamar Woodley and Hines Ward and each of them was kind and accomodating. Even Mean Joe Greene & James Harrison let me snap their pictures between fans, even though we didn’t buy tickets to get their autographs.

However, Ovechkin, Alexander Semin and someone else from the Caps were there, too. As they walked through the crowd to their respective signing tables, ALL of the athletes stopped for photos or to shake hands with their fans EXCEPT FOR OVECHKIN. He had the snottiest look on his face and we watched him blow off LITTLE KIDS wanting to say hello to him (he probably ate little kids for breakfast that morning). Everyone was just shaking their heads at how self-important he acted. Had I been nearby, I would have stuck my foot out and tripped his ugly a$$. My 6 year old son only knows him as “the bad guy”. I will introduce him to “The Kraken” nickname the next time the Pens play the Caps.

GO PENS!!

24. tim
    March 4, 2010 12:02 pm

As perhaps the only Canadian here, allow me ooze in fearfully and make a few tenuous comments:

– Thanks for supporting Sid. He’s an amazing guy even though the Penns regularly smear the Leafs.
    – If Canada had lost, we’d have done it graciously (if you call wailing and gnashing of teeth, temper tantrums on the floor, and four years of national mourning “gracious”)
    – My son, who is fanatically hockey crazy, hates Ovechkin. He also loves Crosby (except when the Penns regularly smear the Leafs).
    – He also says that Ryan Miller is (understatement) the best goalie in the world.
    – Take heart USA, you will certainly kill us in basketball at the next summer Olympics, and would obliterate us in football, if Olympic football existed.
    – I visited Pittsburgh twice. I hope this qualifies me to continue being a marginal member of the “That’s Church” club.

Thanks! You’ve got a great thing going here.

25. reallylovessid
    March 4, 2010 1:51 pm

The boos were for Canada beating the USA. We did not boo Sid himself – just the replay of the moment that lost the gold for our country. We cheered for Sid!

26. Jeff
    March 4, 2010 9:30 pm

I have failed to understand the very existence of the debate about Sid and the Olympics. While he was playing for Canada, you didn’t want him to win if you were an American. When he scored the winning goal, you said “D@MMIT!”. Then you thought about how hard the Americans worked to get to that point and congratulated them on winning the silver medal. And then maybe — this one isn’t required — you thought “Well, at least it was Sid. I like him. He plays for my favorite team.” Then you looked forward to the next Pens game. (Notice I left out saying Sid was a “terrorist” — duh — and saying “Well, I’m glad Canada won; it meant more to them.” You would only say that if you didn’t understand sports.

I was proud of Pittsburgh when I read that they gave Ryan Miller a rousing ovation. I was ashamed when they booed the clip of Crosby’s winning goal. You didn’t have to cheer, but booing anything to do with Sid? Really? And even if you were booing “the replay”, does Sid know that, and what method did you use to poll all “boo-ers” to make sure that was the case?