The third pep talk of the year!

Remember last year when the Buccos of Suckitude were beaten handily by um, The State College of Florida Manatees by a score of 6-4?

Well guess what, Burghers? THIS IS THE YEAR!

Thanks in part to a little Twitter encouragement from pitcher Paul Maholm, the Buccos of Suckitude destroyed the Manatees six to one.  BOOYAH!

Suck on that, sea potatoes!

Next up for our boys, the Yankees.  SWEEP THE LEG!

1. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    March 3, 2010 2:40 pm

Yea Buccos!!!! You gotta start somewhere.

2. bluzdude
    March 3, 2010 4:27 pm

Baby steps! Baby steps!

3. butcher's dog
    March 3, 2010 4:33 pm

OK, I’ve been waiting for a Bucs post that I got in near the start of to input this. I checked ahead with Ginny and she said this would be OK.

On St. Patrick’s Day there will be released a book entitled “The Whistling Irishman: Danny Murtaugh Remembered”. FULL DISCLOSURE: the author, Colleen Hroncich, is Danny’s grandaughter and a former student of mine. Colleen was gracious enough to ask me to proofread the copy for her, which I very willingly did.

Folks, especially those of a certain age who remember World Championships in 1960 and 1971, you need to buy this book! Colleen was two years old when her grandfather died (after his final retirement, ironically, to spend more time with his grandchildren). She has done a remarkable job with this work, doing research that takes us clear back to his childhood in Chester, PA, and working in personal reflections from contemporaries at nearly every stage of his career. She has also done, in my opinion, a remarkable job of treating her immediate family the same way she treats other relatives while talking about his home life. The book is funny, touching, and revealing.

And something else: this is the 50th anniversary of that 1960 championship, which happened 35 years after the team’s previous championship. This year will mark 31 years since our previous championship. And when Murtaugh took over late in the 1957 season, the team was at least as dreadful as it has been recently. Reading this book, you’ll see how the pieces came together. You can make some comparisons with the current group. And you can arrive at the same conclusion that I did:

IT COULD HAPPEN AGAIN!!! JUST THE SAME WAY!!! (almost)

Finally, I believe the book also paints a picture of terrific management style that would do well as a business model, a way to run a small office, or a family and its growth. Get it, read it, and be amazed. Then tell your friends. And watch (hopefully) the miracle unfold again.

I’m totally proud of Colleen (mother of five children under the age of 9, by the way) and honored to be asked to be even a small part of this project.

OK. I’m done now.

4. Lauren
    March 3, 2010 4:33 pm

I thought when I read this originally that the Buccos of Suckitude beat a team of REAL manatees. Which, you know, would be more up to their capabilities.

5. Political Party Pooper
    March 3, 2010 5:10 pm

Congrats Bucs fans!

My Brewers played an intrasquad game today. I left a comment for them all on FB..at least the ones who’ll admit to knowing me.

“Gotta have this one today, boys!”

6. rickh
    March 3, 2010 6:43 pm

The pigeon lovers are really gonna come after you now. Kicking pigeons and beating manatees.

Great band name though…

7. VAgirl
    March 3, 2010 6:46 pm

Oh the smell of spring, little goose pimples on my back just thinking of sitting at the park on a hot summers day and yes, hope, that our bucs will play 500 ball. Oh and just think, Dave M at PNC Park, in July on really hot summers night. Just swaying to the music and looking out on the Allegheny. Yup, hope is in the air!

8. PittinDC
    March 3, 2010 8:58 pm

I just saw the picture on the the PG site that has McCutchen talking to Jeter. Jeter looks like he’s saying to McCutchen, “So, how long will you be stuck with these guys? Think you’ll be with us by the middle of the year, or are we going to have to wait a little while longer?”

9. Luke Steelerstahl
    March 4, 2010 12:08 am

Those two manatees will be next year’s corner outfielders.

March 4, 2010 9:15 am

butcher’s dog,

Ignore these mindless naysayers and detractors and keep us fans informed where/when.

Congratulations, Colleen!

11. LH
    March 4, 2010 12:19 pm

I died at “sea potatoes”! Hilarious!