Oh, Benny. Just no.

From TMZ:

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has been accused of sexual assault by a young woman in Georgia, TMZ has learned.

The alleged incident occurred early this morning at Capital City — a club in Milledgeville, Georgia.

According to law enforcement sources, the alleged victim — who has already been interviewed by police — was treated at a local hospital and released.

This sounds very very very bad.

March 7, 2010 2:00 pm

@ pierce h — while I have no idea how you have the kind of time to write all that you did here – – I have to tell you how much I appreciate what you wrote.

and, I read the whole thing.

gee, I have more of an attention span than I thought…

it’s the most logical, even-handed item I have read in this thread to this point.

my question — and, I think it’s bucdaddy’s point, too — what if this didn’t happen (allgedly) at a bar? what if it happened (allgedly) at the mall? or, (allgedly), at a church? would ben be accused of being such an idiot/douchebag? would there be calls for him not to go to the mall? or, to church?

March 7, 2010 2:11 pm

and, yes, I know that I don’t know how to type “allegedly”. allegedly….

3. Elmer Palmer
    March 7, 2010 5:57 pm

My sources tell me that there was a third party involved here

March 7, 2010 7:28 pm

Um, no. My point was, 99% of the bad things that happen to athletes seem to happen when they’re at some bar, or standing in front of some bar, or leaving some bar early in the a.m., and I’m going to make a presumption that they are hanging around bars in the seedy and low-end parts of town, because you just don’t hear much about people getting robbed or shot or sexually assaulted at bars in, say, Sewickley or Fox Chapel (if they even HAVE bars in Sewickley or Fox Chapel), if you get my drift. Because people in most truly classy business establishments don’t generally show up heavily armed or have sexual assult accusations hanging over their heads.

Now just because you CAN go out and it OUGHT to be OK to go out and have a good time with your buddies wherever you want doesn’t mean you have to go OUT. By and large these are people who make $100s of thousands, if not millions of dollars a year. They could, most of them, have a Hooters built on to the McMansion they own and put up a pole and hire all the strippers they want and call up the entourage and have the boys over and make it rain and all that nonsense, right there at home.

And yet … they can’t resist the lure of strip clubs and gangster hangouts and college bars, where they make themselves targets.

I really don’t expect these choirboys to all get religion and start walking the straight and narrow and attending Sunday morning services and Wednesday evening Bible study (thought if they DID, it’s pretty much problem solved). But I’d like to think even the dumb ones would have more common sense.

And yet about once a week some moron athlete proves me wrong.

5. tw
    March 7, 2010 11:04 pm

Good point bucdaddy. That’s similar to the article Cook wrote in the pg http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10066/1040950-87.stm

Seriously…this guy is 28. Why is he partying with 19/20 year olds…especially after his encounter last year. He must have mush for brains b/c that’s just plain stupid to put yourself in that position.

March 7, 2010 11:22 pm

um, OK. so I was wrong. not my first time.

so, whom here when they were 28 didn’t go to a college bar? or, any bar, for that matter?

show of hands…..

7. Bojack
    March 8, 2010 1:55 am

@beaner-

“r” word?

Get over it.

8. tw
    March 8, 2010 8:18 am

at unsatisfied….i was a college girl (sorority in fact) and partied quite a bit, but NO, by the time I was 28 I frequented casual bars and had beers with friends but didn’t hang with the “college” group. I also married into a German family who is quite familiar with the drink and even they did not hang with that age group. Seriously, at that age that’s just sad. And it’s not about the drinking (you can drink plenty with the older crowd) it’s the company. do you remember what college kids were like?…i wouldn’t have wanted to hang with my younger self at 28!

March 8, 2010 10:10 am

unsatisfied,

I live in Morgantown. Practically every bar in town is a college bar, so my options are not unlimited. But I guess it’s true that I don’t go to the ones that are STRICTLY college bars, with the drink-and-drown nights and the 50-cent pitchers and the lines out the door and all that. There are about four that I frequent most often and they all tend to attract a mixed clientele that includes college kids, with the possible exception of the rock club 123 Pleasant Street, and the people who come there are there much more for the music than to get sh*tfaced/laid/cause trouble.

So … I guess what I’m saying is, even in a college town there ought to be someplace you can go without attracting trouble, but then I’ve never enjoyed the kind of celebrity star-f*cker aura that surrounds a Super Bowl-winning QB. Maybe when you’re Ben, EVERY place is trouble.

So, yeah, there may be no safe place to go, and maybe because of that Ben shouldn’t try, for his own good and the good of his team, and just sit at home every night and eat popcorn and drink Coke and watch the Oscars and count his money or something, but really, it’s shame that he (or any famous person; I imagine George Clooney can’t just walk into any bar he wants without setting off an earthquake) is forced to avoid going places he wants to go.

10. spoon
    March 8, 2010 11:42 am

you’re 28, a 2x Super Bowl champ… stay the hell away from dumpy college bars in bumblefuck georgia.

yeah it sucks you can’t go out to bars like everyone else but it sucks that I dont make your money have have 2 rings. deal with it ben and hire some strippers if you need to get your rocks off. Skippy can get you a deal

11. Carpetbagger
    March 8, 2010 12:29 pm

@ butcher’s dog

Believe it or not, the rest of my life is much different from the enlightening world of blog responses. I can read long books, articles, and journals.

Call me crazy, but I just make the personal choice not to spend my valuable time getting a legal education from such reputable sources as bojack, Pierce H., GoBobbo, or butcher’s dog.

12. Typing Mom
    March 8, 2010 2:25 pm

Some one should smack his along side his head and tell him to keep it in his knickers. Sheesh.

13. Steverino
    March 8, 2010 3:54 pm

And just to refute the inference from this morning’s Post-Gazette that Ben is, “a single young man who enjoys a night on the town.” On behalf of the male species, most single young men don’t go out with the night crawlers in sleazy bars until 3 am. Many actually have a greater respect for women, don’t try and get them drunk in order to take advantage, and may enjoy something a little deeper than what Ben usually seems to have on his mind.

14. Bojack
    March 9, 2010 7:33 am

I’m still relishing “ham-handed rhetorical trick…..” :-)

15. Bojack_filter_Please
    March 9, 2010 5:14 pm

Can we possibly get a Bojack Filter on the comments page??

What an Idiot… Maybe just an Idiot filter would work…

Please??