Random n’at

1.  A conversation I overheard during Mariachi Night at Las Velas:

Dennis Roddy of the P-G: “So, she’s a minister’s daughter …”

My father: “Yeah. It’s hard to tell sometimes.”

Me: [GASP!]

My father and Dennis Roddy chatting is a very bad thing.  But not as bad as a short time later when I found my mother at the bar sandwiched between Jim Lokay and Dennis saying, “Well, her father and I just shake our heads and say, ‘That’s our Ginny.'”

Lies!  All lies!

2.  Of course I have more to say about Benny’s recent troubles.  I’m waiting until he is charged or he isn’t charged before I write that up, though.  And those of you getting on me for quoting TMZ, they had the story first, so that’s who I quoted.  RELAX.

3.  The P-G says “a little-understood fungus” is killing bats.  I don’t hate bats.  Bats eats bugs.  Bats don’t poop in my hair.  Bats fly all around above my neighborhood and they never get closer than a football field to me.

What I’d like to know is this: where can we get some of this fungus and can we somehow infect the pigeons with it because why don’t we ever see a “Mysterious illness killing pigeons” headline?  With a sub-headline of “Virginia Montanez eyed as person of interest.”

4.  When my husband and I were newly married, we went to visit the Wendell August Forge in Grove City on our way back from visiting some friends in Toronto and we immediately fell in love with the place.  I loved the smells and the people and the store. I bought ornaments, and small plates stamped with the Pittsburgh skyline that sit atop my husband’s dresser to hold the various things he keeps in his pockets.  We bought my in-laws a big plate with the skyline on it, and they display it proudly on a shelf in their home in Cancun, Mexico.

The only remaining manufacturer of its kind in all of the US, the forge burned to the ground yesterday, but thankfully no one was hurt and the 2,000 unique dies were saved.

They’ll rebuild, and when they do, if you’ve never been there, you must go and experience it.

5.  Speaking of Toronto, last night I dreamed I was the only female player on the Penguins roster and it was awesome and then they traded me to Toronto and instead of agreeing to the trade, I shocked the world by retiring early so that I could remain in Pittsburgh.  Even in my dreams, I can’t imagine living anywhere else.

Tonight, I hope I dream about the locker room.  So I can snap Sidney on the butt with a wet towel.

I’ve been known to draw blood.

7.  Do not adjust your monitor.  This is really a background image used at McKechnie Field, spring home of the Buccos of Suckitude:

What in the name of crapping your baseball pants is that?!  An owl?  And if it is an owl, why the hell is there a giant owl on screen in the outfield when the Buccos are up at bat?  Is this some new motivational tool from that sports psychologist they hired?  Is he trying to scare the suck out of them?  If so, he should try pigeon eyes.

I know.  I want my mommy, too.

6.  Speaking of the Buccos of Suckitude, tomorrow, me and Burgh Baby’s mom will be kicking off a little blog contest for charity.  You’ll have to choose sides.  Choose wisely, and remember, THIS IS THE YEAR!

1. gunnlino
    March 7, 2010 12:18 pm

Well, according to reports many, many people age 18 thru 35 believe The Daily Show with John Daily is a true and reliable news source. So it’s not too much of a step away from reality to think of TMZ as being one also.

2. j
    March 7, 2010 12:41 pm

Quoting TMZ was just fine. What was disturbing was the number of comments from people that are using this case as an excuse to spew vile, misogynistic baloney about false rape accusations.

Ben is absolutely innocent until proven guilty, but at this point the absolute best case possible is still that our quarterback is incredibly stupid and immature. 28 and hanging out at a college bar, and not at a reunion or similar function? Really, Ben? Not even Brady Quinn is that immature.

3. Slick
    March 7, 2010 1:14 pm

You can quote whichever “news” outlet you want, but it’s like when your Mom probably told you when you were young… people will judge you by the kids you hang out with… so true for Ben too. You contradicted yourself, by the way, saying that you have more to say, but you are going to wait… yet you quoted TMZ because they had the story first… Just saying, not hating…

4. Politicalpartypooper
    March 7, 2010 1:42 pm

“Good news is I made almost $150 in tips for Make Room for Kids despite being the worst bartender in the world.”

Wait…you can’t even make a paper Christmas dinosaur, and they let you mix drinks?

Were there any survivors?

5. Beth P
    March 7, 2010 2:04 pm

I actually jumped at the photo of pigeon eye. Why scare a person like that? Why??

6. Woy
    March 7, 2010 2:53 pm

I sure as hell hope #6 doesn’t involve giving portion of any monies to the Pirates organization.

7. DA
    March 7, 2010 3:37 pm

The Daily Show with John Daily? I’m sure you are referring to Jon Stewart. As a frequent watcher of this show, the statement above “young people believe this is a news source” annoys the shit out of me. Do you really think all these people are watching to get news. Stewart merely points out the ridiculousness and hypocrisy readily available in traditional news sources and from our elected officials. Kinda like Ginny on occasion.

8. bluzdude
    March 7, 2010 4:00 pm

You’re competing with Burgh Baby and we’re all supposed to choose??

That’s like having to choose between mommy and, well, other mommy.

9. Clementine
    March 7, 2010 4:27 pm

5. I make it a point never to look at pigeons too closely, because they freak me out. So, thanks for that.

6. Whoever captioned the photo is clearly not aware of the Bucco’s strategy for ground balls – slow it down with your crotch and scoop it up in your mouth. Win!

10. SpudMom
    March 7, 2010 5:17 pm

You know, I think this unending winter is getting to all of us. People are getting awfully testy on the blogosphere lately (and not just here). One wrong move and someone blows their lid right into space.

Simmah down, folks. Please?

11. Mike
    March 7, 2010 5:50 pm

2. TMZ is actually a legit news source. They were they first to break that Michael Jackson was taken to the hospital and then the first to report he died. They maybe trashy but, they have broken many news stories and are usually 95% right.

12. Donncha
    March 7, 2010 7:47 pm

For the record, Ginny was far more convivial than most bartenders and pours rum with a generous, if slightly coached, hand. Plus, her mom and dad are definitely up for sainthood if only for perseverance. Lokay can’t hold his rum but is an otherwise good man. Woy’s baby is in the finals of the Cindy Lou Who competition and my only disappointment of the night was that a soul can’t get a bowl of chick pea chili in that place to save his life.

13. Scott
    March 7, 2010 10:35 pm

Just scanned comments from yesterday’s brief Ben post. Wow.

@bojackass, there’s a fine line between an edgy rapier wit and just being a total d-bag.

You’re toeing that line….hard.

14. Pierce H.
    March 7, 2010 11:12 pm

“What was disturbing was the number of comments from people that are using this case as an excuse to spew vile, misogynistic baloney about false rape accusations.”

What’s disturbing is people like j who suggest that even bringing up false rape claims is misogyny. What 60s radical nonsense. You denigrate the vicimization of countless victims of false rape claims — both men and women — by suggesting false claims are a myth. They are far more common than misandrists like you will ever admit, our nation’s taboo epidemic. But the subject is so terribly politically incorrect, we’re not even supposed to discuss it. Get it straight: rape is terrible, but so are false rape claims.

15. Bojack
    March 8, 2010 2:19 am

What Pierce H. said.

16. BIGGEORGE
    March 8, 2010 10:04 am

A snow removal solution you can run from the comfort of your living room!!!!!

17. Bojack
    March 8, 2010 10:12 am

*** I would like to apologize to Virginia’s readers in general, and Virginia in particular for using soo much profanity. While I love
    profanity and firmly believe it has its very important place, I crossed even my own personal line (which is pretty far out there,) sorry.

March 8, 2010 10:16 am

Pierce H., Do you have a business card?

19. gunnlino
    March 8, 2010 11:07 am

@ DA,
    An error on my part to be sure and yes ” young people ” look at the program as a news source. ” Old ” people ,maybe as yourself take another view and accept it for what it is .
    While TMZ has first reported some salient items of note, the majority of the revelations on the program are trash, gossip and unsupported snippets of “B” list scandal.
    Not that I watch it with any regularity.

20. Pensgirl
    March 8, 2010 11:17 am

5. Trust me, if you dreamt of the Pens’ locker room you’d bolt awake in a cold sweat from the smell. A hockey dressing room is the most foul-smelling place on earth. I have nightmares just thinking of walking past the one my brother’s team used when he was 10 – I don’t even want to think of how bad it is when the players are grown men.

7 (in the 6 spot!). The owl-eyes look like he is going to give you a stern talking-to. The pigeon eye looks like he is going to kill you…slowly. Eep!

21. Scott
    March 8, 2010 12:16 pm

Good point, Pensgirl.

Hockey players employ the “facewash” (grinding your glove into the face of an opposing player) not because it hurts, but specifically because hockey gloves smell so, so foul that they can nearly induce dry heaving.

22. Jen
    March 8, 2010 12:24 pm

Nobody 10 years ago would have thought the National Enquirer would be up for a Pulitzer for breaking the John Edwards story. I’m not saying TMZ deserves a Pulitzer for breaking the Ben story, or even that they always get their stories right, but this report turned out to be correct (Ben was accused -not yet charged- of sexual assault in a bar in rural Georgia).

23. Joe K.
    March 8, 2010 12:53 pm

I nominate this as quote of the week by Bojack:

“I love profanity and firmly believe it has its very important place”

24. DA
    March 8, 2010 2:33 pm

msm news and blurring roles ………..

25. j
    March 8, 2010 2:45 pm

Pierce H and Bojkac, why don’t you spend some time volunteering at PAAR? I’m sure that they’d just love to have someone there to tell their clients that they’re mostly liars and don’t need PAAR’s services. In fact, I’m sure that PAAR would love to hear how they’re not needed, because so many rape claims are false.

26. MissLee
    March 8, 2010 3:17 pm

@j:

Pierce H and Bojkac are not claiming that rape doesn’t exist. I don’t think anyone on this blog has done that.

However, I do see a lot of resistance to the idea that false rape claims also exist. And we as a society are not giving enough recognition to that fact. To accuse a person of rape when it did not occur is possibly as much of a personal violation as rape itself – it destroys a person’s life, reputation, relationships, career, and causes irreparable mental harm. And that false accusation, once proven, should be treated as such in criminal court.

All that said, I see too many armchair prosecuters and defense attorneys on blogs these days – Anyone condemning Ben OR his accuser is in the wrong here. We have a justice system for a reason; BOTH are innocent until proven guilty.

27. Bojack
    March 8, 2010 3:25 pm

>Joe K. –

“Let us swear while we may, for in Heaven it will not be allowed.”
    – Notebook, 1898, Mark Twain

28. Bojack
    March 8, 2010 3:29 pm

I met a Professor @ Pitt who studies profanity in many languages
    and he claims Hungarian is the best. Most involve family members, farm animals, and unnatural acts in various combinations.

He states with awe you can swear for 30 minutes without repeating yourself in Hungarian.

29. Pierce H.
    March 8, 2010 3:57 pm

“Anyone condemning Ben OR his accuser is in the wrong here.”

Exactly, MissLee.

Rape is a terrible thing. So are false rape claims. The difference between me and people like “j” is that I readily acknowlege the former; she and her like-minded misandrists refuse to even entertain the possibility of the latter. That attitude denigrates countless persons falsely accused of rape — men, boys, and, yes, “j,” even women are falsely accused of statutory rape — by insisting that that their victimization is a myth.

The worst foe of actual rape victims is the false rape accuser. “j” and her ilk trivialize the terrible crime of rape by insisting that even rape liars are deserving of the mantle of victimhood. They are not. In case after case after case, judges and law enforcement officers routinely bemoan the harm that false rape accusers do to the credibility of actual rape victims. So what do people like “j” do in response? They stick their heads in the sand and pretend it’s not a problem at all, because doing something about false rape claims doesn’t fit their “woman-as-victim-metanarrative,” let us be perfectly candid.

The problem is that failing to stem the tide of false rape claims hurts actual rape victims along with completely innocent falsely accused persons. Instead of gender-politicizing these issues, people like “j” should be out helping enhance the credibility of actual rape victims by getting tough on the false rape accusers. She does a grave disservice not only to the falsely accused but also to actual rape victims by pretending false claims are a myth when it is readily apparent to every thinking person they are not. Nobody’s buying the two percent canard any more. That was long ago debunked by every objective scholar who’s ever looked at the issue. With the Internet explosion, the days when Women’s Studies professors controlled the public discourse of these issues are long gone. The fact that paid and financially interested sexual assault counselors keep repeating the two percent doesn’t make it so. False rape claims are a significant problem, whether people like “j” will admit it or not.

30. LaReina
    March 8, 2010 7:39 pm

I nominate Lastings Milledge to the “all name” team.

31. Scottie
    March 8, 2010 10:26 pm

Mom called me and told me about the Forge when it was happening…she used to work in the show room and I did a stint as “Wendell the Bear” for a bit in high school…so I knew that place pretty well. I wonder if Will will be able to rebuild the place; it’s got a lot of history.

32. tw
    March 9, 2010 9:30 am

I’m a grad of grove city college and the Forge was the one place all parents would have to visit. The weird thing was after I left and moved to Reading, Pa I saw their work EVERYWHERE (even other states). I thought it was such a local thing but it isn’t. It’s amazing that their work is so nationally known. Hopefully they can get back up and running.