- March 7, 2010
- filed under Ben Roethlisberger, Penguins, Pirates, Sidney Crosby, Steelers, The Damn Pigeons
1. A conversation I overheard during Mariachi Night at Las Velas:
Dennis Roddy of the P-G: “So, she’s a minister’s daughter …”
My father: “Yeah. It’s hard to tell sometimes.”
My father and Dennis Roddy chatting is a very bad thing. But not as bad as a short time later when I found my mother at the bar sandwiched between Jim Lokay and Dennis saying, “Well, her father and I just shake our heads and say, ‘That’s our Ginny.'”
Lies! All lies!
Good news is I made almost $150 in tips for Make Room for Kids despite being the worst bartender in the world.
2. Of course I have more to say about Benny’s recent troubles. I’m waiting until he is charged or he isn’t charged before I write that up, though. And those of you getting on me for quoting TMZ, they had the story first, so that’s who I quoted. RELAX.
3. The P-G says “a little-understood fungus” is killing bats. I don’t hate bats. Bats eats bugs. Bats don’t poop in my hair. Bats fly all around above my neighborhood and they never get closer than a football field to me.
What I’d like to know is this: where can we get some of this fungus and can we somehow infect the pigeons with it because why don’t we ever see a “Mysterious illness killing pigeons” headline? With a sub-headline of “Virginia Montanez eyed as person of interest.”
4. When my husband and I were newly married, we went to visit the Wendell August Forge in Grove City on our way back from visiting some friends in Toronto and we immediately fell in love with the place. I loved the smells and the people and the store. I bought ornaments, and small plates stamped with the Pittsburgh skyline that sit atop my husband’s dresser to hold the various things he keeps in his pockets. We bought my in-laws a big plate with the skyline on it, and they display it proudly on a shelf in their home in Cancun, Mexico.
The only remaining manufacturer of its kind in all of the US, the forge burned to the ground yesterday, but thankfully no one was hurt and the 2,000 unique dies were saved.
They’ll rebuild, and when they do, if you’ve never been there, you must go and experience it.
5. Speaking of Toronto, last night I dreamed I was the only female player on the Penguins roster and it was awesome and then they traded me to Toronto and instead of agreeing to the trade, I shocked the world by retiring early so that I could remain in Pittsburgh. Even in my dreams, I can’t imagine living anywhere else.
Tonight, I hope I dream about the locker room. So I can snap Sidney on the butt with a wet towel.
I’ve been known to draw blood.
7. Do not adjust your monitor. This is really a background image used at McKechnie Field, spring home of the Buccos of Suckitude:
What in the name of crapping your baseball pants is that?! An owl? And if it is an owl, why the hell is there a giant owl on screen in the outfield when the Buccos are up at bat? Is this some new motivational tool from that sports psychologist they hired? Is he trying to scare the suck out of them? If so, he should try pigeon eyes.
I know. I want my mommy, too.
6. Speaking of the Buccos of Suckitude, tomorrow, me and Burgh Baby’s mom will be kicking off a little blog contest for charity. You’ll have to choose sides. Choose wisely, and remember, THIS IS THE YEAR!