First comes marriage.

This is newest Penguin Alexei Ponikarovsky, a Ukranian-born 29-year-old we acquired from the Toronto Maple Leafs last week:

This is my two-year-old niece’s reaction to seeing Alexei on a pre-game interview, his first as a Penguin:

That boy is cute.  I’m going to marry him and I’m going to kiss him on the lips. [giggle]

We haven’t yet broken the news to her that he’s a married father of three.

1. MN
    March 8, 2010 10:26 am

And he scored in his first game as a Pen! He seems to be just what the Malkin line needs…all aboard the Ukraine Train!

2. Al
    March 8, 2010 10:29 am

From My Little Pony to My Little Poni… they grow up so fast.

3. DG
    March 8, 2010 10:39 am

Yes, but did you need to break it to US?

March 8, 2010 10:44 am

Uh-oh. She’s gonna be trouble when she’s 16. Maybe sooner. Hey, I called the Olsen twins when they were her age.

5. Cassie
    March 8, 2010 10:49 am

How cute is she? She has good taste :)

6. Bojack
    March 8, 2010 10:51 am

Jocks n’at :-)

7. PA Girl in VA
    March 8, 2010 10:51 am

OMG TOO CUTE!!! But yeah, not cool to break the rest of our hearts. Next thing you’ll be sayin’ is that Sidney Crosby isn’t a virgin. Sheesh – at least I’ve got THAT dream to hang on to.

8. Pensgirl
    March 8, 2010 11:01 am

Hey, if one of those three is a boy, your niece is golden!

That boy is cute and he drives to the net. It’s the latter that makes me swoon.

9. Summer
    March 8, 2010 11:17 am

I have one question: Why is there not a shirtless Penguins players calendar?

10. Cass
    March 8, 2010 11:28 am

Between you and BurghBaby Pittsburgh is looking BETTER and BETTER.

11. Sooska
    March 8, 2010 11:29 am

Your cutie pie Niece sings the children’s song: Poni Boy, Poni Boy, won’t you be my Poni Boy? don’t say no, here we go, off across the plain. Marry me, carry me, right away with you, giddyup! giddyup! giddyup! WHOA! My Poni Boy!

*drives the net* yeah.

12. CrashJK
    March 8, 2010 11:32 am

FOCUS people…hockey…this ain’t about beef cake here…this is HOCKEY…let’s talk about free candy being given @ center ice, massive hits (like Cooke’s !!!), bone crunching dasher boards rattlers, blistering slapshots, tic tac toe passing…yeah…HOCKEY !

Charlie says do it….

just saying…hey, how ’bout that Big Ben guy, huh ?…he outta call T. Woods and J. Mayer, compare notes, you know…

13. spoon
    March 8, 2010 11:37 am

If Summer gets a shirtless Pens calendar I want an AliMo one. fair is fair.

14. bluzdude
    March 8, 2010 11:45 am

The girl may have to adjust her definition of “boy”.

15. Summer
    March 8, 2010 12:16 pm

@Spoon: The problem is … who do we approach to make these things happen? I don’t know if it is within Ginny’s power.

16. PA Girl in VA
    March 8, 2010 12:19 pm

@CrashJK – You just made hockey sound even sexier! Oh it’s getting warm in here **hot flash**

March 8, 2010 12:29 pm

c’mon — ginny helps gets shit done down in haiti.

so, a shirtless of select local tv newspeople should be, like, no problem….

March 8, 2010 12:32 pm

“calendar of shirtless select local tv…..”

man, wordpress is actin’ bitchy with my comments lately….

19. spoon
    March 8, 2010 12:39 pm

oh crud i just realized that it looks like I want a shirtless AliMo calendar. While that would always be a bonus I would settle for one of her… drinking a craft beer… in a hockey jersey.

March 8, 2010 12:51 pm

does she also have to be eating bacon, too, spoonster?

21. CrashJK
    March 8, 2010 1:07 pm

@PA Girl in VA…

Just think I left out all those other fun terms…spearing, crashing the net, in the crease, boarding, diving, 5 on 3 (!!!), cookie jar, soft hands, one timer, power forward, stick handling, stack the pads, deke….and finally…just for you…the FIVE HOLE ! hth

22. Summer
    March 8, 2010 1:26 pm

Johnny, that’s just evil.

How ’bout THIS for the cover:

23. DW
    March 8, 2010 1:57 pm

Poni looks like the older son from “Tool Time”

24. DG
    March 8, 2010 2:05 pm

@ CrashJK Even Errey couldn’t help but talk about his “pipes”.

And, I’m with @PA Girl in VA in this one….

25. Dan (Not Onarato)
    March 8, 2010 2:32 pm

@ #22 Johnny…come on man I just ate lunch!

I think I would like the Channel 4’s Amber Nicotra calendar

26. CrashJK
    March 8, 2010 2:47 pm

@DG….yeah, I heard that comment from Errey, he’s constantly saying stuff that makes me scratch my head…even his 3 keys to the game reference on Saturday (right after the “pipes” comment)…K.I.S.S. turned into kept it simple stupid staggie…lmao or wait till he starts talking about someone’s big stick…

27. Eleanor's Trousers
    March 8, 2010 3:49 pm

I think I could take your niece… he’s all mine, cute little girl.

28. spoon
    March 8, 2010 3:51 pm

@unsatisfied BACON! oh sweet jesus

29. Suz
    March 8, 2010 4:19 pm

For some reason known only unto Him, God has historically not been very kind to the Russian people in the good looks department. He has, however, made an exception with Poni. Yum.

March 8, 2010 4:30 pm

alimo, craft beer, 1 lb. of bacon, penguins hockey sweater = hawt.

31. JenOH
    March 8, 2010 7:56 pm

Your niece is cute. Little kids are the best with the things they say.

32. PA Girl in VA
    March 8, 2010 8:08 pm

@CrashJK: Know how some folks turn down the sound and just watch the TV? I may have to start just listening to the broadcasts (can’t see much under those pads & uniforms anyway). Nah, I love the game enough to pay for a season-long Center Ice subscription; the hot players are just a bonus. But I must admit, I still giggle a little bit whenever I hear someone say “poke check” :o)

33. redram1
    March 8, 2010 8:21 pm

@26 Dan (Not Onarato)
    I’d rather have a Stephanie Watson calendar myself.

34. butcher's dog
    March 9, 2010 7:33 am

So why not a different hottie per month? Stephanie and Ali Mo for sure. Maybe Sonni Abata could make a comeback. Julie Bologna. Should not be too hard coming up with a dozen. And if “local media” expands to include bloggers, you all know Our Virginia heads the list to fill in any remaining months. My vote for her is February, covered entirely by strategically-placed hearts.

35. spoon
    March 9, 2010 9:00 am

@butcher’s dog – If Julie Bologna gets a month it better include the use of Thundersnow and natural disasters on the doppler

36. Summer
    March 9, 2010 9:03 am

I’m not quite sure how the conversation turned from hockey hotties to local media personalities, but it obviously has derailed.

March 9, 2010 10:01 am

31.unsatisfied Says:
    March 8th, 2010 at 4:30 pm
    alimo, craft beer, 1 lb. of bacon, penguins hockey sweater = hawt.

During one of the recent blizzards they sent AliMo out in the snow to do the stupid live thing showing us it’s snowing, and she had on what I can only describe as Snoopy’s WWI flying ace helmet without the goggles.

Um, hawt she was not.

38. Dan (Not Onarato)
    March 10, 2010 9:48 am

@34 Redram…

I wouldnt turn that one down either my friend.

@35 Butchers Dog…yeah Ginny would have to be in the winter months…with the do-me boots and all