Digging for Fug

While the situation isn’t amusing at all, I must admit I’m finding it a bit amusing how, particularly in light of the latest news that Ben told investigators he did have sexual contact with the accuser, but not intercourse, and that she fell and hit her head and that’s why she has a head injury, media outlets appear to be on the hunt to pair any story about Ben Roethlisberger with the fuggest grossest pictures they can find.

Cases in point:

Sporting News:

Huffington Post:

New York Post goes the Chunk from Goonies press conference pic route:

This one is a favorite of several different outlets:

TMZ goes the greasy gangster route:

CBS reports:

Amber Hanley, a 21-year-old college student who met NFL star Ben Roethlisberger in a Georgia bar, says the Steeelers quarterback wanted more than a just a cute photo with the young co-ed, but she just rolled her eyes and moved on, earning a tongue lashing from Big Ben.  Later, she says, Roethlisberger was hitting hard on another girl.

And pairs it with this oldie but goodie:

Or my personal favorite coming from Off the Record:

“It depends on what your definition of ‘is’ is.”

1. z
    March 11, 2010 3:14 pm

I’ve rarely seen a good picture of our quarterback so maybe the news outlets are having the same problems. Then again, maybe it’s easier to believe he did what he’s accused of because he looks soooo bad in the pictures.

2. Carpetbagger
    March 11, 2010 3:41 pm

She fell and hurt her head. It was an accident. Things like that happen every day. Like my Uncle Zito. Sure he might have owed 5 large to the local outfit, but he fell down the stairs and broke a leg. Accidents happen. Happen every day. Just like when this girl fell down, hit her head. That happens. And who knows? Maybe some of Ben’s DNA fell on her. Accidents happen. Every day. Whaddaya gonna do?

3. empirechick
    March 11, 2010 3:45 pm

CBS’s quote from a gal at the bar describes perfectly how I’ve seen Ben act. The story calls it a ‘tongue lashing’, but I’ll bet it went something like: “What do you mean you don’t want some of this? Don’t you know who I am?!”

That “Drink Like a Champion” shirt tells you all you need to know about Ben – once a frat boy, always a frat boy.

No wonder Lukey was in Ben’s truck in the Super Bowl victory parade, acting like he had something to do with the win – frat boys stick together!

4. empirechick
    March 11, 2010 3:47 pm

PS: I’m not dissing guys who were in fraternities. Just guys who are still frat boys – there’s a difference.

5. Steverino
    March 11, 2010 3:49 pm

I must rush home right now to get the VERY LATEST “BREAKING NEWS” from Gee-o-ja from our valiant local newscasters, each of whom sent a contingent of “reporters” 750 miles south to cover all this crud. Hey, as long as it’s about the Steelers – ANYTHING about the Steelers – they’re guaranteed good ratings!

I also think “Big” Ben should give another doggie to some police force to make it all better.

6. Novos51
    March 11, 2010 4:02 pm

I think this whole episode really shows how good of a person Crosby is and how important it is to surround yourself with good people. See #66 living upstairs.

You want to bet Lemiuex had a conversation with Crosby that went something like this

“Sid, show some class. If you want to hook up with the ladies find the ones who understand your situation and understand how to act. Keep a low profile and always remember that your image, once tarnished, can not be repaired. Leave the coke and hookers to the football players, Washington Capitals, and Philadelphia Flyers.”

Followed by a burst of sunshine that follow Lemieux everywhere.

7. windy city steel city
    March 11, 2010 4:03 pm

you give a quarterback a bit of the oral pleasure [Dude, where’s my car?], then say it was against your will? As “carpetbagger” said, maybe it was an accident; she tripped and her mouth fell onto his penis for several minutes.
    Two rules for QB’s and the ladies who love them
    1> QB: do not ask for, receive or coerce ANY bj’s 2> Ladies: do not ask to perform [or refuse when asked] or coerce ANY bj’s. Wow, that was easy. I should ask Goddell for a job, excuse me, employment.

8. spoon
    March 11, 2010 4:08 pm

Lewis Black on Bill Clinton aka Benny and Skippy go frog huntin

9. Jen
    March 11, 2010 4:11 pm

Virginia, did you catch the blip in the Trib about the girl who told him he looked like Crocodile Dundee? Personally, I don’t see it. Maybe she was thinking of the Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin. They have similarly shaped faces and hair, and I doubt a girl at a college bar is old enough to remember Crocodile Dundee.

‘He said Roethlisberger stood next to him at the bar and spoke to his friend, commenting that she had a really old cell phone and needed an upgrade. “She said he looked like Crocodile Dundee, because his hair was all long in the back,” Eaton said. “I don’t know, I think that made him mad a little.”‘

10. facie
    March 11, 2010 4:12 pm

Am I the only one grossed out by a 28-year old guy getting a BJ in a bar? Not that it is reallt acceptable at any age, but I can almost give a pass to a 21-year old college student. But a “professional”?

I find it amusing and sad that BB has the rep of often getting irritated when people come up to him, but then it is okay if he goes up to some girl and tries to score?

11. Lisa G.
    March 11, 2010 4:18 pm

Seeing as he is extremely fug and gross, how else would you expect those photos to look?? Ewwww-

12. Burgh Baby
    March 11, 2010 4:29 pm

Can we have Casey Hampton’s cavernous belly button back on the front page? That was less horrific to look at than this.

13. DG
    March 11, 2010 4:32 pm

He is not a pretty man, is he? Can we go back to posting pictures of Ponikarovsky?

14. babelbabe
    March 11, 2010 4:35 pm

oh my god, can he just shower, maybe? Ugh. Gross.

15. Sooska
    March 11, 2010 5:09 pm

@windy city steel city : Thank God there is an eye and ear witness to all this. Have you contacted the police so they can take your statement of the facts?

16. Grover Cleveland
    March 11, 2010 5:26 pm

You know when you clench your fist, sometimes it lands on the head, other times other places…this all makes sense to me

17. Andrea
    March 11, 2010 5:39 pm

Even a pigeon would be better!

March 11, 2010 6:10 pm

maybe ben should go live with mario for a while…..

19. Megan
    March 11, 2010 6:16 pm

Haha @ the extra ‘e’ in Steeelers. Folks keep referring to Sid as a good guy, but I know one of his ex-girlfriends who has lots of crappy things to say about him/cheating/being a jerk/etc. Maybe we should stop trying to compare???

20. empirechick
    March 11, 2010 6:21 pm

Yes, Megan, we certainly shouldn’t compare. “He cheated” (coming from an ex) sounds nearly identical to allegations of assault from perfect strangers.

21. Steel Maestro
    March 11, 2010 6:50 pm

As soon as I heard that the cops wanted DNA, I knew that “Big” Ben’s goose was cooked.

My theory, he was getting his knob polished by this young gal and he got maybe a bit too rough and accidentally smacked her head on the porcelain water bucket during the money shot scene. That’s my theory anyway. Let’s see what Ben comes up with next.

But the real issue is, you’d think that a guy who is already being sued by one of his other jumpoffs would be more discreet. I mean FER CRYIN OUT LOUD BEN, you really should not be getting a knobber in a college dive bar’s ladies room. That’s what your mansion is for.

And learn how to use (a) a wash cloth, (b) a razor, and (c) a comb.

22. BradyQuinnsTeeth
    March 11, 2010 6:56 pm

Do people forget that Mario was also involved in some shenanigans with Dan Quinn up in Minnesota?

23. Tiffany
    March 11, 2010 6:58 pm

all the pics are gross because HE is gross.

24. Tiffany
    March 11, 2010 7:09 pm

@ Steel Maestro, also, Ben should learn to use his hand, some lotion, and a towel, so we don’t have to hear about any more rape allegations.

25. Steel Maestro
    March 11, 2010 7:24 pm

@ Tiffany, THIS IS THE NFL. No need for lotion. And let’s hope that he leaves the Terrible Towel in the dresser.

26. Julie
    March 11, 2010 8:15 pm

Nooo, not the Drink Like a Champion pics again…totally went to college with this girl…

To note, tons of players were hanging out and acting like this back in those days (5 years ago or so). However, it seems most all of them have since cleaned up their act. Except for Ben. Sad.

27. gunnlino
    March 12, 2010 7:00 am

My only hope is that someone close to Ben prints all of these posts about his dim-wit self and forces him to read them over and over.
    Maybe then he will realize what an ass he’s made of himself.
    Then again, probability not

28. gunnlino
    March 12, 2010 7:03 am

Opps, “probably”, sorry.

29. butcher's dog
    March 12, 2010 7:54 am

Camera doesn’t lie, we used to say.

March 12, 2010 10:39 am

She slams her head hard enough to merit a trip to a hospital — WITH HIS DNA (presumably) ON HER — and he doesn’t go with her, make sure she’s OK, maybe pick up the tab for the ER, or at least give her cab fare home? With his $100 million?

That’s Mr. Class right there. What a clod. What an ignoramus. What an ultramaroon.

Bucdaughter is 24 and goes to grad school in Connecticut. One day she got really sick, throwing up, and then dry heaving, and then throwing up blood, over several hours. Finally, at 12:30 in the morning, he roomie took her to the ER and stayed with her while she was given fluids until the hospital sent her home at 5 a.m.

THAT’S how people with real human feelings and sensitivity and kindness act. It’s not so hard sometimes to figure out who was raised right.

31. Patrick
    March 12, 2010 11:47 am

CBS news has the best pic of him so far. He looks like a mobster on trial for whacking someone. Which is ironic because if he spent more time whacking he probably wouldn’t be in this situation.

32. Vivian formerly NYLuvsPitts
    March 12, 2010 2:08 pm

@babelbabe, he does have a dirty, unshowered look to him.

@Patrick, I saw that pic in google news. You’re right.

33. Meghan
    March 12, 2010 3:05 pm

I’m just annoyed that, AGAIN, I have to defend him to Stillers haters. Because he might be a douche, but he’s OUR douche. hahaaaa

March 12, 2010 8:02 pm

I still say he looks like he’d be the assistant to the assistant to the guy putting a new roof on your house.

“Dammit, Benny, I TOLD you not to mess with the air hammer. Leave that to the pros. You’ll just have to figure out how to get that nail out of your tongue yourself.

“And I DON’T want to catch you smokin’ weed behind the heat pump again. I can see you from up here.”

35. tom
    March 13, 2010 4:35 pm

Virginia, let’s be clear shall we? The original report from KDKA specifically states unnamed “sources” SAID that Ben SAID those things to the police! No where has Ben, through his attorney, agent or otherwise SAID anything about his comments to police. The “unnamed sources” BS is exactly that. I know it’s hard, but try not to be like everyone else and jump head first into posting something because it sounds sensational before actually reading it correctly first.