Random n’at

1.  My father’s cousin emailed him a complete cut-and-paste of my Dear Benny post.  This is the email my father sent me:

Gin
I got this from my cousin, Rich.  We are always exchanging emails and he sent me this post from your blog.  I don’t think he knows you are my daughter, but he knows now because I sent him reply back informing him and apologizing ahead of time for any “salty language”.
Dad

My poor father.  A minister having to deal with his daughter’s “salty language.”   He makes me sound like a pirate or a wench.  I prefer pirate.  Arrrr.

2.  Speaking of the Pirates, remember this quote from pitcher Charlie Morton?

“The stuff felt fresh, and I was mostly down.”

Holla.

Well, how’s this one from pitcher Kevin Hart:

“Stuff-wise and pitch-wise, I felt better and more confident.”

What is this “stuff” the pitchers keep referring to?  I hope it’s not “suck.”

3.  Me and Burgh Baby are busy getting prizes together for the Make Room for Crazy random drawing this fall once the Pirates end the season playing .500 ball.  So far we have:

We are adding more and more prizes every day, so pick a side and donate your $5 to the winning side. My side.

THIS IS THE YEAR!

4.  Episode 3 of the Eyetique Boy Meets Girl saga is up — “Another Woman?”

I want that green coat.

5.  Reader Sara, a mother of four, sent me an email regarding having her head shaved to raise money for kids with cancer:

After some liquid courage I got in the chair and off went the hair! It took me a couple of hours to look at myself, but when I started crying there were 30 other drunk women in the bathroom to reassure me.

I don’t have a final tally, but I think I’ve reached my $5000 goal, and STILL have a fundraiser coming up. Another shavee gave me $550 of his donations to put in mine because he wanted to see me hit $5000. Talk about amazing people!

God.  I love Burghers so freaking frackin’ much.

Hair comes and goes.  Generosity ripples forever.

Here’s a picture of Sara post-shave, courtesy of PghGeorge‘s professional Flickr stream, which has lots of moving pictures from the event.

Also, look who was there earning some good karma on behalf of the Buccos.

6.  If you’re looking for a fun 10k or 5k run or a 2 mile walk to benefit sick kids this summer, then look no further than Jaxson’s Jog, started last year by a local mother to benefit research into Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia (CDH), a life threatening birth defect of which only 50% of babies diagnosed with it will survive.  Her son is one of those lucky ones.  She’s seeking registrations for the North Park run/walk taking place on May 22.  Check it out.

7.    If you spent the weekend wondering if it is possible for Benny to appear even more douchey than this latest sexual allegation has made him, I’m here to tell you that yes, it is possible.  Behold the TMZ-obtained photos of Benny’s birthday posse and their stupid shirts.  This little trip for his 28th birthday was actually dubbed “Ben-a-palooza.” [GIANT EYEROLL]

Check them all out, but pay particular attention to the douchey ponytail Benny is sporting.

So, who in his posse hated him enough to leak these photos to TMZ?

Phrase your answer in the form of, “Someone from the O-line!”

This might be premature, but the hell with it, she says saltily — to quote Vinny from My Cousin Vinny, “I got no more use for this guy.”

(h/t Carole)

1. Carol
    March 15, 2010 10:39 am

“So, who in his posse hated him enough to leak these photos to TMZ?”

$$$

2. windy city steel city
    March 15, 2010 10:40 am

re #2> stuff = curves, sliders, knucklers, fork balls. also: junk, action

Ben is vaulting into D-Bag status. Rooting for the accuser now.

3. Carpetbagger
    March 15, 2010 10:48 am

Take the PA off those shirts and all that’s left is “Looza”! (making an “L” with my hand on forehead)

4. BIGGEORGE
    March 15, 2010 10:50 am

You have to be carefull shaving your hair off.
    I had to shave the front of my head for surgery when I was 18, and the little wave I had on the front of my hair, didn’t grow back!!!!

The Lady who cut my hair, told me I am lucky it didn’t change color!!!!!

5. butcher's dog
    March 15, 2010 11:00 am

Yeah, OK…YOUR hair may come and go. For some of us it just goes (went!) and never comes back. And that’s without chemo or radiation, I might add. Just sayin’.

And, since we’re in random mode, RIP to Peter Graves, aka Jim Phelps of the original Mission: Impossible series. Those of us of a “certain age” probably have fond memories of Sunday nights in front of a black-and-white TV watching that fuse get lit, then hearing the instructions for Jim and the IM Force. We were hoping none of them got caught or killed, since the secretary would disavow any knowledge of their actions. And then the tape self-destructed in five seconds (proving the model for the social standing of a current quarterback we know about). And it was all way too cool. Too bad real life isn’t like that, eh? Again, just sayin’.

6. Monty
    March 15, 2010 11:01 am

The Last Doucherai. I’m kind of beginning to enjoy the “Bad Citizen” moniker. Bring on the Tebow era.

7. Angie
    March 15, 2010 11:04 am

Benny sure is a far cry from the Ohio-bred lad who asked the scout, “Can we go to Red Lobster?”

Now he asks, “Can we go to the handicapped stall?”

8. Erin
    March 15, 2010 11:12 am

Sarah, you look beautiful!
    Anyone over the age of – what? 18 maybe? 21? who makes T-SHIRTS for their BIRTHDAY? I got no more use for them. Go away.

9. Gina
    March 15, 2010 11:28 am

I was walking through the room last night when the news was on and I saw a photo of Ben and thought, oh please don’t let that be a douche-tail. But it was. Sigh. Now excuse me while I go throw up for 6,000 hours.

March 15, 2010 11:37 am

1. Why can’t you be a wench who talks like a pirate?

5. I got a buzz cut for cancer too, but I can’t post the pictures cause your dad would REALLY go off on you if you had a shot of my … um … I’ll use “sack.”

7. Speaking of sacks, I don’t know why you expect so much out of Ohioans. Ohio is the Jersey Shore of the Midwest, innit?

11. Summer
    March 15, 2010 11:42 am

Sara is awesome! One of my friends also is shaving her head for St. Baldrick. Kudos to them for the courage to do it — I don’t know if I could go through with it. Putting personal vanity aside for a good cause makes this lady a hero in my book!

12. Ginny's Dad
    March 15, 2010 11:42 am

It’s so sad to see someone waste his/her talent. If Benny had a smidgen of the character, discipline and self-control of Drew Brees or Kurt Warner, he could be one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time. Basically, he’s immature and foolish and his personal life will affect his performance on the football field. Coach Tomlin needs to sit this “boy” down and explain the facts of life. Man, am I glad I didn’t have any sons. I might be in jail right now.

13. summer78
    March 15, 2010 12:41 pm

Maybe we should have gotten Benny to shave his head Saturday with us at St. Baldrick’s! He needs the good PR and we all need that awful ponytail GONE!!!!

14. Pierce
    March 15, 2010 12:55 pm

“Man, am I glad I didn’t have any sons. I might be in jail right now.”

What, the girls are angels nowadays? Just be thankful your daughters aren’t 20-year-olds bar-hopping with professional athletes on a school night.

15. Lauren
    March 15, 2010 1:08 pm

I don’t know what’s worse: Ben’s ponytail (I grew up in a very white trash area and I know me some male ponytails) or dude in front of him with that thing that looks like a dog’s tail on his forehead. Geez Ben, that’s your posse? For reals? It’s hard to find boys that are LESS attractive than you are, but you’ve managed to succeed…

16. SpudMom
    March 15, 2010 1:44 pm

@Erin – I think anyone over the age of 10 is pushing it. ;)

17. SpudMom
    March 15, 2010 1:47 pm

Oh look. Now Pierce is laying into Ginny’s DAD. Yeesh.

Ok, I *was* saving up to send my kids to college, but how about I toss a few pennies Pierce’s way to fund a stick-ectomy to remove the large peice of wood in his bum? Can anyone spare a quarter for the cause?

18. spoon
    March 15, 2010 1:53 pm

mmmm Red Lobster

19. Pierce
    March 15, 2010 2:39 pm

SpudMom, SpudMom, SpudMom. Sigh, I happen to AGREE with Ginny’s dad.

But I’m disappointed in you. Once again, I am attacked with angry junior high “wit” instead of substance. All because I refuse to join your “let’s onvict Ben in the blogosphere” lynch mob. You’ve decided Ben is guilty (or at least forever tarnished — sounds like a cabaret show) because you don’t approve of his conduct, before a scrap of evidence is admitted at trial. And when I cite irrefutable facts about the frequency of false rape claim, the angry NOW banshees descend on me.

Guess what? I don’t approve of Ben’s conduct, either. And I don’t approve of the young lady’s conduct, for that matter. But drinking and promiscuity aren’t at issue. He either sexually assaulted her, or she made a false police report. One of them is a criminal, and neither one of us knows which. (Oh, well, maybe YOU do.) I swear, you and your blog sisters would have been first in line to hang the Scottsboro boys.

Just wait until he’s convicted, would ya?

20. DG
    March 15, 2010 2:40 pm

#3. I finally made my choice. Couldn’t bet against the home team.

21. tw
    March 15, 2010 2:41 pm

Excuse me, but what is wrong with a 20 year old girl bar hopping? I went to the “driest” college ever (Grove City…VERY Christian…look it up…although i think it was 2nd driest in nation) and 90% of the girls there went “bar hopping” before they were legal! I’m sure if there was a celebrity there we would have flocked to them (although that would be a crazy thought considering where we were…Grove City…yea right). My point…if you think a bar hopping 20 yr old girl is bad then you just put down the majority of the women out there. You are in for a rude awakening if you have any girls…they will not be sitting in their rooms reading their bibles on a Friday night no matter how much of an angel you think they are. wake up.

22. Vivian formerly NYLuvsPitts
    March 15, 2010 2:42 pm

“Salty Language” I like that. Very cute.

23. Mac S.
    March 15, 2010 2:57 pm

Hey Pierce, Mr. “armed with facts” , Re:the bazillions of false rapes that you claim are reported each year, you were pretty much pwned by the person in comment #68 of the letter to Benny who addressed your playing fast and loose (like all women right Piercey?) with statistics.

Your he man women haters club membership is in good standing.

24. Nancy
    March 15, 2010 2:59 pm

Thanks for the shout-out for the CDH fund-raiser. I don’t know Sarah personally, but my son is also a in the lucky 50% thanks in large part to the wonderful people at Children’s. It’s more prevalent than a lot of disorders you’ve heard of, but no one seems to know anything about it. Thanks for helping to give it some press. :)

25. bluzdude
    March 15, 2010 3:17 pm

My variety of salty language:

“Well blow me down… ug-ug-ug-ug-ug-ug!”

26. Pierce
    March 15, 2010 3:23 pm

Thanks, Mac, never read that comment, and won’t bother. I know more about that subject than you or comment 68. But thanks for the fifth grade level insults.

27. Pierce
    March 15, 2010 3:24 pm

By the way, Mac, what does “pwned” mean?

28. butcher's dog
    March 15, 2010 3:31 pm

@tw: Grove City is the 2nd driest campus in the nation because sometime, probably five or six years ago, someone drank a beer there. And when the alumni (I’m not one of them!) find out, that person will get a stern talking-to!

@bucdaddy: those of us in PA know Ohio only exists in the first place because PA and Indiana needed the parking. Just sayin’. And now Brady Quinn’s gone, so there wasn’t much of a reward for beating our Stillers back on that frigid night. Oh, wait…Brady Quinn’s gone. That WAS his reward!

29. JennyMoon
    March 15, 2010 3:42 pm

Re: T-shirts for birthdays….making your husband wear an “I am 40 today” shirt at a pirate game on his 40th birthday was hilarious!! That might just be me though.

30. tw
    March 15, 2010 3:42 pm

@butcher’s dog: My point was…even at the most goody-two shoes of colleges men and women drink a lot at that age…just natural. And yes, pitiful as that college was (drinking or being drunk on campus was against rules and could get you kicked out) we still did it…almost every student there. We just learned to be very sneaky about it. And how I wish a stern talking to was all we got…had too many friends kicked out of there.

31. Pierce
    March 15, 2010 3:49 pm

Seriously, Mac, sarcasm aside, if you want a summary of the entire field, with every major study ever conducted discussed, check it out – it’s dry reading: Dr. Bruce Gross, False Rape Allegations: An Assault on Justice, Annals of the American Psychotherapy Associaton, Dec. 22, 2008. I am an advocate for men and women falsely accused of sex crimes, and I know the field well. I am not a rape apologist. I am not into victim blaming but I approve of the hook-up culture, where too many rapes and too many false rape claims occur. I find it curious, and sadly amusing, why so many people are quick to condemn on the basis of an accusation. A false rape accusation has destroyed many a life. I am representing a college kid right now whose life was turned upside down by one.

32. Pierce
    March 15, 2010 3:50 pm

I meant to say, “I don’t approve of the hook-up culture.”

33. pghgeorge
    March 15, 2010 4:05 pm

I haven’t worn my #7 hat for two weeks now.
    I think Sara and her family trump Ben and his posse. IMHO.
    Why don’t we just celebrate the bald burghers?
    :-)

March 15, 2010 4:33 pm

sara = hawt.

March 15, 2010 4:34 pm

and, I MEAN that, baby…. (in my sammy davis, jr. voice….)

36. Politicalpartypooper
    March 15, 2010 4:55 pm

On # 3: “Stuff” is code for “I throw an 88 mph fastball. If my other pitches aren’t working, I’m fucked.”

37. SpudMom
    March 15, 2010 5:09 pm

Pierce – umm, where did I say that Ben was guilty? Seriously. Not once in any of these posts about Ben did I say he was guilty or even comment on the current allegation. What I said waaaaaay back in the Dear Benny post was that he proved his stupidity during the motorcycle accident. That is it.

Beyond that, I’ve said *nothing* about what happened during this situation or who should have done what and when. In fact, I haven’t even READ a single actual news story about it – because I simply don’t care.

So, stop looking at me and telling me that I’m convicting him in the court of public opinion. Once again, you’ve proven your need to get the stick out of your ass.

Ginny – I’m sorry I even responded to him in the first place. I was trying to be funny and it fell completely flat. I will refrain from feeding him from now on.

38. Politicalpartypooper
    March 15, 2010 5:10 pm

Pierce,

Benny hired a Private Investigator. Since you are an attorney, maybe you can tell us under what circumstances attorneys use PI’s in a case like this.

A very good client of mine is a litigator. He and I discussed some of the reasons…none of them indicate innocence. Maybe you have a different take? First reason I was given was that the accused was being advised that he was going to be charged with a crime. Second reason; attorney hires PI to help interrogate all of the witnesses that the DA or police have, again, in preparation for a trial. Third; looking for anything that will help avoid a court case. In other words, “let’s make a deal”.

Your take?

39. Mac S.
    March 15, 2010 5:13 pm

I am not a rape apologist. I am not into victim blaming but ….

Actually, you are and you have. And now, you are no longer worth my concern.

40. Pierce
    March 15, 2010 6:15 pm

Political: I agree, it could be any of those. It could also be that he hired an investigator because he could afford one and doesn’t want to leave anything to chance. That’s a real luxury most people can’t afford. He’s also hired a top-tier (code word for expensive) lawyer. This is going to be one hefty legal bill. These cases can be incredibly difficult to investigate for the police — lots of manhours expended interviewing people, reviewing video, etc. Do they have a video of her right after she left the restroom? Is she laughing? Running out in fear? As outsiders, we just have no idea. My guess is that it’s not real clear because he hasn’t been charged yet. I am sure they are checking for consistency in stories because liars generally lose. If he did something to the young woman, let us pray for her sake that there is some strong circumstantial evidence tending to prove his guilt. And if he’s innocent, we should hope that some evidence shows that, too. The problem with these sorts of allegations is that it’s often not clear.

Mac, don’t misunderstand — I have no opinion as to whether he’s guilty or innocent because I don’t know. Neither do you. But even if the guy’s a real jerk, he deserves the presumption of innocence.

41. Pierce
    March 15, 2010 6:23 pm

SpudMom, I agree with you about his stupidity. But you’ll “refrain from feeding” me? Oh, because I’m a troll, right? I see. Because I implore people to treat this guy for what he is: presumptively innocent. Yeah, I get it. (I’ll let you in on a secret: I don’t especially care if he’s charged. I don’t get all warm and fuzzy about this guy — or his bodyguards! — like I would for, say, Arnold Palmer.)

42. Bojack
    March 15, 2010 6:51 pm

@Mac S.-

Which goofball are you really? Your other aliases here?
    3-letter nicknames?

Come on girlie, fess up!

One football player gets a club bathroom blowjob and wow!

43. Steeler_tom
    March 15, 2010 7:03 pm

Was wondering, I did the St Baldricks a couple years ago….. Bill Toland sponsered a little girl from Pennsylvania (pretty little thing who just the sight of her would heart punch ya)

Anybody hear how she’s doing?
    I often wonder…… can sombody find out and share the news on her? Please???

44. Pierce
    March 15, 2010 7:14 pm

Bojack, please notice with Mac that I merely implored people to give this athlete the presumption of innocence because — yes, some men and women are falsely accused of this crime — and because of that — presto! — I’m a “rape apologist!” Nice, isn’t he/she? Why do I suspect he/she would have considered it a personal honor to castrate the Duke lacross players?

45. Bojack
    March 15, 2010 7:24 pm

A comment on “salty” language.

Is it not totally hypocritical to claim that “salty” language really offends you, then turn right around and use all the cutesy abbrevs and code words for it?

i.e.- F***, WTF, eff, f’ing, etc ??

Is it really diff to tell somebody to go eff themselves as opposed to go fuck themselves?

46. Bojack
    March 15, 2010 7:31 pm

Peirce, not only did I notice that, I also am a frequent ’nuff reader here to recognize the authors of some of these doltish replies even when they unimaginatively change their screen names.

47. Mac S.
    March 15, 2010 7:38 pm

Boj, Honestly, I don’t presume him anything an overgrown frat boy. I have no idea what happened in Reno or in that bathroom. But I don’t buy the skank excuse immediately just as I am not willing to toss him in jail immediately.

Pierce, if (big if) you are Pierce H. then I have read your website (where you you deny 50-90% of rapes occur) so your agenda is crystal clear to me.
    And so is that aforementioned stick.

48. Mac S.
    March 15, 2010 7:39 pm

Strike 2 Boj, longtime reader, first time poster and the name will stay.

49. Bojack
    March 15, 2010 7:47 pm

@Mac S,-

I usually assume when someone says “Honestly…” at the beginning of a statement that I’m listening to a liar who is honoring me with a rare gift of actual truth, but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt. :-)

I saw a great movie last night which absolutely demonstrates the horrible power and cosequences of false rape charges-

The movie is [The Life of David Gale], starring the always phenomenal Kevin Spacey.

Rent it, On Demand it, Netflix it.

THEN see which bandwagons you might choose to jump on without thoughts folks!

50. Bojack
    March 15, 2010 7:53 pm

Mac, there is no baseball in the Burgh!