Random n’at

1.  It’s that time of the year when I make up my mind to lose the weight I put on over the winter, and this winter, what with the snowmageddonness of it, was especially nom-nom-nom for me.  Oooh! A handful of year-old M-n-Ms in the couch cushions? DEVOUR!

Problem is that I keep being sabotaged in my efforts to lose the winter pounds.  Sabotaged by my mother giving me a half a wheel of Jarlsberg cheese.  Sabotaged by birthday cakes.  Sabotaged by family dinners at my parent’s house.  Sabotaged by the kids’ treat basket.

What I need is a stomach virus.  10 lbs. in three days.  Bam.

2.  The Fan interviewed my self-united husband Daniel Sepulveda, and as pointed out to me by butler Mike, Daniel basically says, when asked about his relationship with Benny, that while they will be there for Benny as a football team, he can’t really speak much to what Benny is like as a person because they haven’t spoken more than three sentences to each other in the three years their lockers have been touching.

HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE?!

As Mike said, “Maybe because Benny’s an asshole?”

3.  Ed Bouchette is filing reports on PG+ (pronounced lindar vithel in Elvish) from the NFL owners’ meeting in Orlando, and among his snippets about Mike Tomlin snubbing Pittsburgh reporters only to have him grant interviews to the NFL network, lies this snippet about Benny:

I can tell you it continues to be a hot topic in Orlando. I had a chance to talk to a handful of club officials and some from the league before their 9 a.m. meeting with Goodell today and I’ve come to the conclusion that if he is charged in this incident, his days playing for the Steelers could be over.

Can you imagine the Steelers without The Duke of Fug and the Earl of Gross?  WHO WILL LEAD THE PEOPLE THEN?!

4.  Roller derby is back in action with a new season and I’ll be attending the April 17th match since I missed the sold-out home opener.  Can not wait.  Going to get me a ‘Snot Rocket Science shirt!

Also, check out the mascot for her Steel Hurtin’ team.  Meet Miss Judy Squeakers who I don’t need to tell you kinda looks like a black and gold hand-crocheted tampon.

I say that with love.

5.  John Steigerwald wrote a blog post in which he called Benny a “punk” and a “jackass” and even mentioned drugs.  Mondesi’s House has an interview with John about it.  Check it out.

6.  A brilliant idea! Mix glitter with rice then feed it to the pigeons and VOILA!  Nature’s fireworks complete with a satisfying popping sound.

(h/t Stephanie)

7.  Troysus Polamalu and his doggies and his HOTNESS film a commercial for Nemacolin’s dog resort.  This video has the candid behind-the-scenes stuff.

(h/t Leo and Jim)

8.  Screenwriter Carl Kurlander of St. Elmo’s Fire fame and who was once asked by Oprah about his move back home, “PITTSBURGH?!?!  PITTSBURGH?!?!,” is showing his Tale of Two Cities, a movie about his move from Hollywood to Pittsburgh, at SouthSide Works Cinema until March 25, before taking his movie on the road to places like Capitol Hill, Delray Beach, Tempe, Arizona, and the Boston Museum of Fine Arts.

As he writes on the facebook page:

Please help us spread the word as the film has been picked up for distribution and if we can sell enough tickets this week, it could really make a difference in getting the movie out there.

Buy your tickets here!

1. Schuyler
    March 22, 2010 1:26 pm

I love how Troy makes the veterinarian feel comfortable when she was obviously nervous and embarrassed (who wouldn’t be!). That’s why we love him!! :-)

2. Bojack
    March 22, 2010 1:44 pm

re: #5- Jon Steigerwald-

While I’ll grant you he’s very knowledgeable on sports details
    I think he’s WAY over-puffed his OWN importance on the Pgh sports scene and it comes from being a frustrated NON-PRO ATHLETE himself, always has. Went to school with him.

Just watch the game John!

3. Sheila
    March 22, 2010 2:01 pm

Re #5 Steigerwald – I’m surprised you even link this crap since he called Mr. Rogers a sissy. Not to mention the idiotic reference to America becoming more feminized & likens it to women becoming overly involved in their kids sports teams. What a blowhard – please put an annoying burgher tag on him pronto.

4. Scott
    March 22, 2010 2:10 pm

Definitely hope to check out the Tail of Two Cities! Should be good!

5. ScareHouse Scott
    March 22, 2010 2:40 pm

We’re huge fans (and sponsors) of Pittsburgh roller derby, and encourage everyone to come check it out. Anyone who’s not sure what to expect can check out this short video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=684KRvsL56U

6. Scott L
    March 22, 2010 2:41 pm

Glitter and rice?? Why not add in a few Bang Snaps for thier pecking pleasure…

7. bluzdude
    March 22, 2010 2:44 pm

The Steelers cut Benny, and I want to sell tickets to the Browns/Raiders steel cage death match over who picks him up.

My money’s on the Raiders… I hear they fight dirty.

8. Megan
    March 22, 2010 2:59 pm

Steigerwald reminds me of that ‘Real Men of Genius’ Commercial, something about sports announcer guy who never played sports and reports hours longer than anyone listens.

Awesome @ Troy!

Pop City had a great article on Tale of Two Cities as well.

9. spoon
    March 22, 2010 3:18 pm

Steelers won’t send Ben packing. Egos are too big to endure the wrath of fans and a potential losing season. Although from a marketing aspect they would make an assload of money on yinzers needing to replace those #7 jerseys.

I bet Lukey could throw.

10. Pensgirl
    March 22, 2010 3:18 pm

1. Could be worse…I LOSE weight during the winter months and GAIN it when it’s warmer. What good does that do?

2. I’m not defending Ben, but it would be more telling to know who on the team does talk to Daniel than who doesn’t. It’s quite common for O- and D-men to basically ostracize the kickers – many don’t see kicking positions as “real” football players because they generally are not involved in contact.

5. Paul Steigerwald >>> John Steigerwald

8. My mom bought me that DVD awhile ago. It’s OK. In other news, Oprah sucks, although apparently I’m one of only a few people who knows it (my epiphany was when she did a Christmas gift suggestion show 10+ years back and the items she featured cost hundreds to thousands of dollars, like normal people can afford that).

11. Pa-pop
    March 22, 2010 3:19 pm

MILLEDGEVILLE, GA (AP) – Police in Milledgeville are neither confirming nor denying that the sexual assualt case involving Steeler quarterback Ben Roethlisberger may reveal a deeper plot to get the quarterback released from his current contract with Pittsburgh. Rumors circulating in northeast Ohio indicate significant interest in his case on the part of the Cleveland Browns. Several unidentified sources close to the alleged victim suggest that she may be the graddaughter of Browns president Mike Holmgren. Browns officials, interrupted during their March Madness block pool draft, had no official comment, citing NFL “tampering” rules. Meanwhile, nine chickens have been subpoenaed to testify before a Baldwin County (GA) grand jury.

12. Ginny's Dad
    March 22, 2010 3:28 pm

There are better ways to lose weight than a stomach virus. As you know I am just getting over one and it was no walk in the park. Cut down on bread, sugar, diet pop and pasta and the pounds will melt away. Or you could just do your “freestyle curling”.

13. Sooska
    March 22, 2010 6:13 pm

1. Jarlsberg? Have you tried the Jarlsberg dip made at the cheese counter at the Waterworks Giant Eagle? decadence.
    2. “On game day, if you’re thinking you’re in trouble.” His job is to stand there and look good, not think. And btw Dan’s better off that Duke doesn’t sully him (but geez louise, what a difference between those guys and the Penguins.) He better not let him touch him. ew.

5. J Steigerwald? A misogynistic bore who is trying to sell his book. He wrote is all by himself I guess. I am betting he was hatched by the sun after a pigeon pooped him on a fence.

8. saw that movie in a theater about 15 months ago. good stuff.

14. one-eyed dick
    March 22, 2010 6:44 pm

#3. “WHO WILL LEAD THE PEOPLE THEN?!”

17 And, behold, a child who is pure of heart shall come forth to lead them, and his name shall be Timothy, of the house of Tebow, as it was foretold by the prophets.

15. Amber
    March 22, 2010 10:19 pm

I “second” the Giant Eagle Jarlsberg cheese dip! So worth it!

March 22, 2010 10:27 pm

1. “Lose weight without diet or exercise! Well, that pretty much leaves wasting disease.” — Dennis Miller

17. Monty
    March 22, 2010 10:45 pm

Excellent PG+ alternative pronunciation today. Can I put in a request to have the next one be in the language of that dutch-boy looking robot from Buck Rodgers?

18. butcher's dog
    March 22, 2010 11:45 pm

I’d kinda like more details on Ginny’s “freestyle curls” as mentioned by her dad! Anything the rest of us might like to try? Inquiring minds want to know!

19. northside15212
    March 23, 2010 12:13 am

J. Steigerwald is a clown and his amateur posting is evidence enough of why his contract wasn’t renewed at KDKA. No doubt, he is trying to cultivate some sort of controversy around himself to sell a few books. One can only imagine the inane drivel of yet another crappy “insider” Pittsburgh sports book. Oh, yay. I wouldn’t line a pigeon cage with it. . .

20. Steigy
    March 23, 2010 4:20 am

@Bojack

While I’ll grant you he’s very knowledgeable on nothing.
    I think he’s WAY over-puffed his OWN importance on the Pgh blog scene and it comes from being a frustrated NON-PRO BLOGGER himself, always has. Went to school with him.

Just read the blog Bojack!

21. SC 'Burgher
    March 23, 2010 5:41 am

RE: Benny’s attitude

When a Roman general received a Triumph from the Senate (like the last Superbowl Parade, but without the execution of our enemies at the end), a slave would stand on the chariot behind the general and whisper that he was still only a mortal man.

Maybe the Steelers need to hire a rotating group of out-of-work Pittsburghers to follow #7 and remind him that he is only a man. I have a feeling that it wouldn’t work & he’d still be a jackass.

22. BIGGEORGE
    March 23, 2010 6:34 am

Last winter I lost 35 lbs in a month!!!!!
    I was on drugs that have a side effect of diminishing the appitite. I also wasn’t feeling good(no details). I survived on jello, yogurt,gatorade….

I wouldn’t recommend it to my worst enemy!!

23. Bojack
    March 23, 2010 7:39 am

So Steigy, Filter, Frmunda Cheese-breath, or whatevever you are, which disaffected moron are you and why are you such a pussy that you play rotating screen names??

It’s very telling you have no original thoughts, just a no-brain hater!

24. Ryan Mikita
    March 26, 2010 3:01 pm

I bought “Tale of Two Cities” off of WQED about a year ago, and actually haven’t gotten around to watching it yet…I guess this is the perfect time!