Tomato, to-mah-toe

This sounds bad.

But when you spin it like this, it sounds … not so bad.

You see?  Two bad pitches resulted in three home runs.

I like that math.

Because this is the year and we are drinking heavily on this here rocking bandwagon.

Oh, this little fire I have burning right here?  That’s just me burning all the newspapers reporting the Pirates have lost 9 of their last 11 preseason games.

I like to look at things positively. It wasn’t nine losses, it was “just a couple poor outings,” or, it wasn’t three home runs, it was three game-ball gifts to three lucky fans.  Also, this might be the alcohol talking, but I would like to remind you that if baseball was scored like golf, we’d be in first place.

LALALALA-ICAN’THEARYOU!

1. Jonathan
    March 24, 2010 8:09 pm

“It wasnt 9 losses…just 9 bad pitches!!” That feels nice to say

2. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    March 24, 2010 8:29 pm

Pre-season doesn’t count! Like I tell my uncle every year, this is the year. I even said it today when someone started talking about the NCAA’s. My bracket is busted so I said I’ve moved on to basebal. This is the Buccos’ year.

3. Monty
    March 24, 2010 8:37 pm

My kids don’t crap their pants. They conserve toilet paper.

4. bluzdude
    March 24, 2010 8:44 pm

That’s just a couple dozen bad pitches…

5. spoon
    March 24, 2010 9:07 pm

The Pirates havent lost for 17 seasons, they’re perfecting the art of mediocrity at the expense of dignity.

6. Bojack
    March 24, 2010 9:28 pm

Aside from that Mrs. Lincoln, what did you think of the play?

7. Magnus Patris
    March 24, 2010 10:28 pm

Since I lived in Virginia most of those years, I’m only counting the years I’ve been back, so for me it’s only 2 losing seasons in a row. That’s not so bad. Try it for yourself, like, “It’s only been 1 losing season since they quit making Zima” or “It’s only been 16 losing seasons since Sophie Masloff was mayor”. See? Much better! This is the year!

8. Cathy
    March 24, 2010 10:37 pm

YES – this is the year!

9. Matt
    March 24, 2010 11:32 pm

THIS IS THE YE…. HA HA HA HA HA HA! It’ll never be “the year”. Ever. To those that say pre-season doesn’t count, stop fooling yourselves. They can’t even play .500 baseball in pre-season! Because people are STILL supporting the Pirates, the team will continue to suck. All these great young players we have now will be gone when it’s time to sign a new contract and Nutting won’t give them the money they deserve because he’s using to to try to save his failing ski resort.

10. Leslie in Dayton
    March 24, 2010 11:39 pm

Oh dear. I’m afraid the expired Zima is rearing its ugly head!

11. butcher's dog
    March 25, 2010 6:52 am

ex-pat girl has it right: pre-season, folks!
    Don’t mean shit. The games don’t count until they, you know, count. And this is the year!

I’m still not drinking Zima, though, even if someone comes up with a hidden stash for Ginny.

12. Politicalpartypooper
    March 25, 2010 8:20 am

Maybe instead of Pirates, you guys should call them something more friendly, like Parrots. Or Parakeets. Or Lambs. Anything that doesn’t build an image of a group of people all working aggressively toward whatever it is they work at, because that kind of imagery creates hope, and after what…eighteen years? You guys shouldn’t have any hope left.

Call a spade a spade and a Pirate a Parrot and maybe you’ll be able to honestly assess the reality of the situation. :D

I think you should all become Brewer fans. Remember when Prince Fielder reached the river with one of his blasts? Wouldn’t you like to be able to cheer for that sort of thing, instead of wearing a paper bag over your heads each time it happens? There’s a reason claustrophobia is on the rise in Pittsburgh, and it isn’t the water.

March 25, 2010 9:41 am

Meh. Burghers love to get their panties in a twist over the Steeler exhibition games too.

Wish I had a dollar for every “Roethlisberger sucks, start Charlie Batch!”

14. Gina
    March 25, 2010 9:48 am

The Phillies lost their preseason game the other day too. No big deal.

March 25, 2010 9:51 am

“they’re still shitty.”

16. Ted
    March 25, 2010 9:56 am

If the anti-Pirates fans can dismiss good pre-season efforts as “just spring training”, then should we on the bandwagon not be able to claim the same as evidence for a great regular season?

17. burgher-licious
    March 25, 2010 10:22 am

#4 – AAAAHHHHHHH! That is awesome! Thanks for my laugh of the day!

18. Sooska
    March 25, 2010 10:22 am

When I was a little girl and still a Pirates fan, I used to think such a preseason was wonderful because it signaled a good regular season. I also thought if they lost the home opener it was a good sign, too. Sort of Karma Boomerang. *wink*

I like the new Buccos math, Ginny. It may mean a 50% increase in opposition homers/runs and a like increase in Pirates losses. In 17 years nothing would surprise me with this organization.

19. Scott
    March 25, 2010 11:01 am

I’d like to congratulate @bojackass, aka Scott R. Priester’s padawan, for posting a comment that isn’t loaded with f-bombs or rudely slamming someone else’s comment.

Great job.

20. Cathy
    March 25, 2010 11:41 am

@Matt take a chill — yes – this is the year… you have to have some fun or you would just cry over the pirates… you are right people need to stop going but as long as there are fireworks and decent bands to get the crowds out the is not going to happen…. so we are stuck with a bad team for the foreseeable future… Have a great spring!

21. Bram R
    March 25, 2010 11:44 am

I don’t know if this is true, but I have heard second-hand that the Pirates clubhouse is not a fun place to be. Like, things are really cliquey, and there’s this group and that group and there are a lot of professional and cultural tensions. For example I heard once we traded for a new guy and he was greeted with, “Welcome to hell!”

Anything we can do to break that mess is okay. Andrew McCutchen? Do you have that skill too? Who else is on the team?

22. Sooska
    March 25, 2010 12:41 pm

@ Bram- maybe they should sacrifice a chicken?

wait. we’ve already covered that this week.

23. JenEngland
    March 25, 2010 1:36 pm

Yep. I’m with you. I’ve finally, after going back and forth, to jump on the band wagon with you. Not because I expect, or even really hope, it will not go careening into the Mon all aflame, but because I cannot bring myself to bet against Pittsburgh. I think that’s one of my cardinal rules. You just don’t bet against Pittsburgh. Ever. Even when the flames are leaping from the engine and licking the passenger compartment of the bandwagon, you don’t bet against Pittsburgh.

24. Scott
    March 25, 2010 2:32 pm

@bojackass, aka Priester’s Bitch,

I just read your diatribe on the previous post. Congratulations on regurgitating well-known facts about Pittsburgh. I think I speak for everyone here when I say I’m proud of you.

If you had read my comment in its entirety, you’d see that I’m not excusing the city government’s miscues, but…in typical fashion, you go straight to the flaming, and then inexplicably claim to have fucked some other commenter’s mother.

Classy.

I’m not going to dignify your sophomoric ramblings with a response. Times are tough…all over. Combine that with the expected jackassery of politicians in general and it is what it is. I’m sure that from your limited view out of the dorm room at Robert Morris, that’s tough to see, but trust me…it is true.

Pittsburgh is on a tremendous roll right now. Yes, our mayor is a clown, and the city is in receivership. However, in the big picture, Pittsburgh is kicking ass. We can all take credit for that.

Grow up. Quit taking pot-shots at everyone, and using language usually associated with junior high kids. The fact that you post 10 times or more to every single post Ginny puts up implies that you are a colleague of your mentor, Mr. Priester at the Verizon kiosk. Only someone wiht a job like that could have so much time on their hands.

Your act is getting old.

25. efw_west
    March 26, 2010 12:48 pm

is there ever a group of fans who drinks more kool-aid than some of the die hard bucco fans? I mean, really, what’s next. Exhibition games don’t mean anything? Next they will say games in April aren’t important, then May, then before you know it wait ’till next year.