Random n’at

1.  I’ve been tweeting about my hair over the last few days because it has reached that 80’s rocker/hair band/Medusa stage where snacks fall out of my hair when I shower.  You know, random MnMs or Skittles or pretzels that somehow caught up in the curly web of doom.  My hair, when it reaches this length, has its own gravitational pull.  True story.

I’m determined to get it cut over the next week in a much shorter fashion than the bra-strap length I’m sporting now.

Wish me luck that 1. I find a person capable of cutting curly hair without it going Little Orphan Annie on me, that 2. I don’t go Britney crazy and shave it all off before then and then attack strange people with a pointy umbrella and that 3. I don’t come out looking like that Golden Girls episode where they all ended up with blue old-lady hair.

2.  Tomorrow has been declared “Google Day” by Lukey and what that means is he wants us all to spend the day using Google to see if we can once and for all get to the bottom of the boxers or briefs question.

I kid.

Get your black and gold on and be in the Google picture!

3.  A former CMU student now studying film in LA is using Kickstarter to raise the money he needs to film “Boys in the Hood,” a short satirical film about racism and prejudice.

Watch his pitch video, which gave me a good laugh with the corny sound effects, particularly the cash register noise when he winks, and read his synopsis of the short film.

I gotta tell you, I’m dying to know how it ends.

(h/t Jackie)

4.  Owl City, famous for the hit song “Fireflies,” released their new music video for “Vanilla Twilight” and forget the fact that Shaquille O’Neal is in it.  HELLO, BEAUTIFUL PITTSBURGH where it was filmed during Snowmageddon.

Some great shots of the city in here:

YouTube Preview Image

(h/t Zack)

5.  Benny does not have to provide a DNA sample and it appears some video from the nightclub has been overwritten.

His lawyer is adamant that Benny won’t be charged because there is no DNA to compare his to.

Whether or not he is charged … it changes nothing, not one thing about how I feel about this situation.

6.  My April column is online over at Pittsburgh Magazine’s site.  It’s called Karma Boomerang. Zzzzzzzzzzzing!  OW!

7. Last night’s Penguins’ loss to the Capitals in the fashion it occurred? Super extra sucky.  Ouch.  I mean, if we had to lose, couldn’t Marc-Andre at the very least stopped Ovechkin’s shot?

But how good was Sid’s shoot-out goal?  So relaxed.  So calm and slow and deliberate.  I mean, it was like he was an old man walking his puppy in the park.  Puppy goes this way and sniffs this flower.  Then puppy trots over here and looks at this little bug for a few seconds.  Then puppy slowly zigzags this way and that way and then puppy PEES ALL OVER THE GOALIE.

“Crosby sucks.”

1. Erin
    March 25, 2010 4:44 pm

That video cracked me up. Sidebar: people always say “Pittsburgh, P-A”. Do other people do this?
    “I live in Chicago, I-L”. “New York, N-Y”. I think it’s only Pennsylvania residents. Thoughts?

2. PittinDC
    March 25, 2010 4:58 pm

Here they say Washington, DC.

3. Pensgirl
    March 25, 2010 5:09 pm

1. I sent you a recommendation for a fantastic stylist who is curly-haired herself. The only reason I didn’t post her name here is I want to make sure I can still get in to see her!

6. Commute reading yay!

7. Meh. MAF has been more than stellar in shootouts this year, so we were bound to lose a few eventually, and hey, they don’t have shootouts in the playoffs. That said, the team has looked fatigued to me lately and I’ve wondered if they have much gas left in the collective tank.

Erin, “P-A” is definitely a unique phenomenon. I think the whole commonwealth does it though, so it could well be the only thing we western PA peeps have in common with the eastern side.

4. Sooska
    March 25, 2010 5:32 pm

Erin that has come up before. funny how P-Aers do that.

5. I heard that and thought me and my posse would have had that solved in 6 hours or less. Who, especially cops, don’t know security tapes get re-recorded frequently? Who doesn’t ask for the tapes right away? I am with you, Ginny. So Over the moron. Also, THIS ARTICLE says it.

7.Knuble said he was really shocked he scored the GWG. HE was shocked? MOI was shocked. Saturday, Crosby will Suck against Philadelphia too.

5. PK
    March 25, 2010 5:33 pm

@Owl City…um, I don’t get it. Ok yeah I know it’s a music video and the ‘burgh looked nice and wtf with Shaq but I kept ignoring the music wondering what the heck was that thing? The ozone layer disintegrating and ready to release deadly cosmic rays on us all? An alien ship from “V” or “Independence Day?” Joe DeNardo’s “paartly clahdy skiez in th’Allegheeny Cahny aireah?”

Or maybe it was Dread Lord Zober about to reveal his Death Star?

6. Carpetbagger
    March 25, 2010 5:41 pm

My hair was curly… back in the day when I had hair. When curly was out of style I tried to straigten it. When it was in style I had the bad 80s white guy ‘fro. Then God just said, “Screw it!” and took it all away from me if I wasn’t going to do anything good with it.

Thus, I present <A HREF="http://prettybourgeois.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/erika1rm6.jpg"<for your consideration…

7. Carpetbagger
    March 25, 2010 5:43 pm

Sh*t! Try that again:

Thus, I present for your consideration…

8. Steelerslover
    March 25, 2010 5:51 pm

Did you know the Fireflies video was shot in Pittsburgh as well? In a studio in the strip. :)

9. bluzdude
    March 25, 2010 6:45 pm

I always had unruly hair… I finally got a perm to try to control it, but it made me look like the drummer from the group, Boston. My hair got back at me by falling out shortly thereafter.

Game, set, match… to The Hair.

10. John Jacob
    March 25, 2010 6:49 pm

I’ve also heard it that used with Virginia “Richmond V-A”.

What’s also interesting is that it’s a phenomenon that’s been embraced by folks from outside the area. See the lyrics in James Brown’s “Living in America” and Talking Heads’ “Life During Wartime”

11. KKinLA
    March 25, 2010 6:50 pm

PittGirl – I too suffer from curly squirrel hair. And I’ve never, EVER had a better haircut than I did from Emilio (and I now live in LA, where one would think that you could find a frickin’ curly expert – but no – bad hair for the past 13 years)

Plus, he’s a total sweetheart. He did my mom’s AND my husband’s hair for free before our wedding. You’ll love him – and your hair will too!

12. Gina
    March 25, 2010 8:33 pm

Jamie W. at Profiles in Cranberry. Best. Hairstylist. Ever. Totally worth the drive – she is the only person I will allow to touch my hair. 7247797611 …..you won’t be sorry!!

13. andrea
    March 25, 2010 11:57 pm

Curly hair? Christine at Salon Christine, on Penn Ave. right next to the Convention Center. I followed her from Wood Street, been with her for 6 or 7 years, and now my teenage kids go there too. She has very curly hair and knows how to do it. Mine is combo kinky/wavy/stupid and she can never retire. Ever. I won’t let her.

14. Opinionated White Trashe
    March 26, 2010 12:43 am

We hope that these accusations are false of course.
    Yet let’s be honest-
    We jealous and respectful 49er fans are very interesting in this development. His first accusation stemmed from an incident that occurred before 6. So it is conceivable that IF the incident was true, 6 may never have happened.

I share this with you, even though I know the somewhat poor taste it shows.

Karma will undoubtedly put a future 49ers player in the Public LOF for something he may not have done.

At least I’m honest.

15. Opinionated White Trashe
    March 26, 2010 1:01 am

I love my type in my name. I may keep it. “Trashe” sounds more sophisticated. Yet, in the Third line, I did mean to type interested.

Don’t write me off altogether because I’m a 49ers fan people. I grew up when NorCal didn’t have a hockey team. I became a Pens fan because of Mario and Jaromir. Mostly Mario. Incredible person, then incredible player.

Anyway, maybe the thing is- Ben should be (and should have been) more like Mario.

16. Karlin Lamberto
    March 26, 2010 7:57 am

Leese at Veraldi Salon in Oakland is the best hairdresser ever. Try her out!

17. Natural Red
    March 26, 2010 8:00 am

Please post a pic of your new hairdo- it might give some of us other curly tops a new idea.

18. suz
    March 26, 2010 8:28 am

Another recommendation for Emilio at Izzazu. Very simply, the man knows how to cut hair. I’ve had perfect strangers stop me to compliment me on my haircut, and I tell them thanks but it’s not me, it’s all E.

19. buttercup
    March 26, 2010 8:52 am

Lena at the Fountain of Youth salon and spa in Point Breeze is the best ever, and my daughter to boot. She’s good with the curly hair. She’s also an awesome person.

20. L-A
    March 26, 2010 9:42 am

So glad I’m not the only one in fear of Orphan Annie hair cuts. After receiving a mullet the day before 8th grade started, I’ve had a fear of hair salons. I cut my own, once or twice a year, because it’s so damn curly and thick and freakish that no one would ever notice if it’s uneven.

21. Pingback: Owl City shines up the North Side « The 412 by ShowClix

22. Joe K.
    March 26, 2010 12:53 pm

Leave it 80’s style. We’re due for it to come back into fashion.

23. Joe K.
    March 26, 2010 12:57 pm

Oh and about the Pens. This is the worst part of the season. Just sitting around and hoping no one gets injured. Bring on the playoffs already!

24. butcher's dog
    March 26, 2010 2:10 pm

You realize, of course, that those of us who haven’t had enough hair to even mention for a looooooonnnnnnnnngggggg time have, like, zero sympathy on this issue, right? (he types icily)

25. johnaz6312
    March 27, 2010 11:13 am

First of all the Music SUCKS!! And whats with looking up into the sky? Like what was said before me I was expecting aliens to come down from the clouds. Was this supposed to be Close Encounters or V?

26. Pingback: pour me a heavy dose of atmosphere. « a rational creature

27. Shari
    March 29, 2010 1:14 pm

Thank you for expressing what a lot of us feel regarding the recent behavior of some of the Steelers. I personally will never buy another Holmes, Rothlisburger, or Reed jersey. And will never buy a product they endorse.

28. Norf Side Betty
    March 31, 2010 8:30 pm

Tracey at Hotheads on 88 in castle Shannon. I drive all the way from the Norf Side for her. She works magic on kinky curly ass hair like ours. She is the best I have ever found. 412.886.9000