It’s a sympathetic kind of pointing and laughing.

There’s several things I simply can’t do, things that others can do with ease.  I can’t carry a tune.  I can’t whistle.  I can’t do a cartwheel.  I can’t do a somersault under water.  I like to blame all of those on “inner-ear issues.”  It makes it seem okay.

No, I can’t parallel park.  I have that, you know, inner-ear thing.

Anyways, another thing I can’t do that others seem to do quite easily is hula hoop.  I used to be able to do it when I was younger, but now?  It’s not like riding a bike, I tell you that.

Before she became pregnant with her most recent child, my sister was on a hula hooping stomach-toning exercise regimen and each time I was at her house and would see her watching TV while hula hooping with ease, making the hoop whip around her waist at eye-popping speeds, I’d say, self, you can do this.  It’s just a little flick of the hips. Remember, you are the current household champion at Wii Hula Hooping.

And I would ask to try and I would put the hoop around my waist and I would give it a spin and the hoop would go, “PSYCH!” and fall to the ground. This would be followed by my sister falling to the ground in laughter.

So, I’d just like to say that while I’m laughing my ass off at Jim Lokay, I’m also sympathizing with him.

Go watch Jim try to hula hoop. And fail like a failing failer that fails.

But at least I have a decent excuse.  You know, that inner-ear thing.

1. jmarinara
    March 30, 2010 11:47 am

I got rid of my TV (well, Cable TV and antenna) a few months ago.

Gotta say, I’m not really missing it.

2. Dextrous
    March 30, 2010 11:50 am

[image]

The hat trick is simultaneous texting, hula-hooping, and chicken-choking.

3. Susan
    March 30, 2010 12:00 pm

I took a hooping class last year, and now I’m proud to say that I can finally do it. The key is to remember that you don’t swing your hips, you need to just shift your weight back and forth. And the bigger the hoop the easier it will be.

4. emilie
    March 30, 2010 12:01 pm

aww…Jim Lokay. I still love him. And if it makes anyone feel any better – not only can I not hula hoop in real life, I also apparently suck at it on Wii as well. Go figure.

5. Rox
    March 30, 2010 12:09 pm

Sike! = I like that spelling way better. Makes it more 80’s.

6. Where's Sonni?
    March 30, 2010 12:17 pm

Who was the KDKA girl that came on and did it in the middle of the video? Could she be a “hot burgher” replacement for Sonni Abatta?

Speaking of which, I’m disappointed you haven’t had any updates on her, or even tried to find a suitable replacement? You did a brief piece on AliMo but what about Janelle Hall? Tired of all the Tyler Grisham talk!

7. Greg
    March 30, 2010 12:25 pm

I wasn’t going to watch it until I read the comment about the “hot burgher”…

I am all superficial n’at.

8. ScareHouse Scott
    March 30, 2010 12:33 pm

Lokay is my hero of the week for his commitment. Watching that clip brought back all my nightmarish memories of grade school gym class. I have absolutely zero abilities in any of the dark arts of athletic activities, dance, and co-ordination. I blame both my freakishly tall proportions and my liberal arts degree.

9. spoon
    March 30, 2010 12:55 pm

I can rock the Wii Fit Hula Hoop.

10. Sooska
    March 30, 2010 1:02 pm

LOLOLOkay.

Can’t KDKA afford a headset to give her? Watching her try to demo that hoop and try to talk into a handset mike is painful.

11. Bram R
    March 30, 2010 1:09 pm

I can’t hoop for crap. Do yinz’sevels a favor, after checking out Jim the Incredible, surf over to YouTube and search Hooping, I Against I, Massive Attack. Great vid, very PG.

12. LuAnn
    March 30, 2010 1:42 pm

Check out
    for more than you ever wanted to know about hooping!

I was decent at it as a kid… only because my waist was so much smaller than my hips. Easier to keep the darn thing up.

13. MessyDee
    March 30, 2010 2:13 pm

If you ever want to give it a whirl…

Tuesday Hoop Jams
    Steel City Hoop Union hosts a weekly open hoop jam every Tuesday at the Union Project.

Hoop Union Tuesdays
    Every Tuesday
    6:30 – 7:30 pm
    Union Project
    (corner of Stanton and Negley)
    hoops and instruction provided
    Everyone Welcome!

Please bring $5 to help us pay for the space and hoops.

14. JJ
    March 30, 2010 7:57 pm

He’s still the cutest traffic boy around…..

15. Jim Lokay
    March 30, 2010 9:49 pm

I hate/love you, Ginny.

For the record, I was doing this in the newsroom and studio before the show without a problem. The damn mic packs on my suit pants kept tripping me up on the air.

And the instructor INSISTED on holding her own mic. How she was able to do it together…I’ll never know.

By the way, the young woman who jumped in is Laura, one of our “Pittsburgh Today Live” interns. A few weeks ago, Marvin Hamlisch let her sing with him — she is pretty darn talented at anything she does.

16. Angie (@rantpittsburgh)
    March 31, 2010 1:44 am

omg that video MADE my night!!! awesome!!

17. Pingback: That's Church » Yinz Team Pittsburgh Marathon!