Random n’at.

1.  … and the weather gods saw the bloody pigeon sacrifices and they were pleased.

You’re welcome, Pittsburgh.

2.  Eyetique’s fourth installment in Boy Meets Girl is up and by now, I’m completely intrigued and waiting for the next one.  In it, I hope Jeff Reed bursts out of the bathroom of Crazy Mocha, screaming about there being no paper towels, all the while wearing awesome glasses. Then he starts kicking painted chickens before he falls to the ground to resuscitate a possum that is actually just playing possum.  The possum waits until Jeff Reed gives up and storms out of Crazy Mocha, before popping up, putting his little cute possum Clark Kent eyeglasses back on, adjusting his cape and declaring proudly, “Once again, Awesum Possum does not save the day!”

Then Daniel Sepulveda storms in without his shirt on and …

I need to be a movie director.

3.  I can’t sing. That inner-ear thing, you know. But if you can and you’re 16 – 26, you need to go audition to appear on the second season of GLEE! because GLEE! is the best show since La Femme Nikita.

Live auditions will be held April 10th, from 12pm-4pm (PLEASE NOTE AUDITIONS WILL BE HELD ON A FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE BASIS), at Tanger Outlets, 2200 Tanger Blvd., Washington, PA.

Rob Owen has more info.

(h/t ScareHouse Scott!)

4.  It is no secret that my May column at Pittsburgh Magazine will be about my attempt to become an Olympic-caliber curler.  But what IS a secret is the amazing art the illustrator Patrick Neil did for it.

Just you wait.

5.  There’s a new blog post up over at the magazine’s site. Here’s a snippet:

I kind of have a reputation for being a Pittsburgh Pollyanna – blind to the bad, focused on the rose-colored good about my city. Some love that about me; some are irritated by it. But the thing is this – I see the faults. I see the good-ole-boy politics. I see some corruption and questionable ethics. I see a gap in diversity. I see potholes and extravagant parking fees and traffic that would infuriate a monk. But those shadows are regularly brightened by the sun of what Pittsburgh is – a beautiful, old, world-class city full of hard-working, real, unaffected people.

6.  Don’t forget David Conrad will be narrating Copland’s A Lincoln Portrait at the Carnegie Carnegie on April 11.  This would be a good chance for you to mention to him how you felt about his #2 and I’m not talking about poop.

Tickets here.

7.  If you haven’t yet had your picture taken with the Stanley Cup, now is your chance.

(h/t Charles!)

8.  If you haven’t yet donated $5 to pick a side in Make Room for Crazy, go ahead and click that YES! button up there because this is the year! Not only did the Buccos of Suckitude decimate the Astros 13-1 yesterday, they also demoted Brandon Moss, who was batting at about negative bajillionty this preseason.  We’re still gathering prizes for the winning side, so if you’ve got something you’d like to donate, let me know.

9.  Want tickets to a Penguins first-round hockey playoff game?  Play this nifty game at Showclix and the person with the highest score gets ’em!

My score and I’m not making this up: -30.

It’s that inner-ear thing.

1. carnegiegrl
    March 30, 2010 2:09 pm

Wow, Eyetique should TOTALLY have PittGirl writing their scripts from here on out.
    I’m still giggling!

March 30, 2010 2:42 pm

if skeeve were a real steeler, shouldn’t he also throw a drink at the possum and try to sexually assault it?

3. spoon
    March 30, 2010 2:51 pm

I can’t get above 73 on that game. damn!

4. AB
    March 30, 2010 3:03 pm

FYI, Firefox sucks for that game. Try safari. :-)

5. TK
    March 30, 2010 3:09 pm

What’s the Carnegie Carnegie?

6. Jcubed03
    March 30, 2010 3:23 pm

Totally almost hit a pigeon this morning entering the HOV lane in the North Hills. I swerved to miss it only to avoid having pigeon GUTS all over my car and then thought PittGirl would not be happy with me – she would have accelerated and obliterated said pigeon.

7. Amy
    March 30, 2010 3:49 pm

HAHAHA I got -29 first try!!! That game is tough!!

8. Tina
    March 30, 2010 4:46 pm

Officially jealous about #1 and #6.

That weather report is much better (!!!) than the one for Munich, GER (where I am) and San Francisco (where I will be for 11 days up from Thursday).

Where is my parachute when I need it????

ENJOY folks!

PS: #8 – done.

9. Pensgirl
    March 30, 2010 5:09 pm

7. SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH keep it on the D/L so I don’t have to wait in a super long line!

10. bob wallace
    March 30, 2010 6:25 pm

wow tough game , i got a -22

11. Sooska
    March 30, 2010 6:44 pm

-26 I suck at video games. I will have to buy tickets I think.

12. RJR
    March 30, 2010 7:07 pm

Can’t get about 73 either!

13. RJR
    March 30, 2010 7:08 pm

oops. should be above.

14. Bojack
    March 31, 2010 6:22 am

I have a technical question. I read in the news Santonio’s accuser,
    Anshoenoe Mills (black) called Santonio (black) the….”n-word.”

My question, is this a hate crime if they’re both black?
    If a fat person calls another “lard ass” is this a “hate” crime?
    If I call Lukey a “cracker” is it hate crime material?

Is behavior towards another species, like chickens, “species hate crime?”

Just looking for some clear definitions.

Here’s a clear definition, loser city!

This Trib article paints a truer picture! Pretty bridges do not a great city make!

15. red pen mama
    March 31, 2010 8:49 am

1. Poop. I’m heading to Erie for Easter. Where’s it’s generally about 20 degrees colder than it is in Pittsburgh.

3. I’m going to sign one of my girls up for voice lessons so they can do stuff like this. And I’ll just bask in the reflected glory. Gotta go get some GLEE DVDs now.

5. Great love letter to Pittsburgh. I love Pittsburgh despite its faults. We visited a lot when I was a kid because my dad grew up here. I went to college here, lived on the wonderful South Side for 15 years, got engaged and married here, had kids here. I’ve now lived in Pittsburgh longer than I lived in Erie. It’s my home, and I’m so glad to have found fellow fans who also see the bad stuff, but find ways to rise above and work around it.

And BIGGEORGE’s comment there made me want to give him a hug.

16. Megan
    March 31, 2010 9:24 am

#5 – every place has faults (and most likely, the corrupt politics). Life is what we make it and I love our life in Pittsburgh :))))). I’m one of those who lived away for 18yrs and couldn’t get back soon enough.

Also, the traffic here has NOTHING on other areas I’ve lived (S. Florida, Atlanta).

17. Bojack
    March 31, 2010 10:19 am

@Megan,@RPM- Why “accept?” Why not demand better???

Uhhh, can anyone please explain this to me, my dictionary is pretty basic on words like “not,” and “for,” and especially “profit”:

Highmark doubles profit in 2009

By Rick Stouffer, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010
    Last updated: 10:00 am

A near doubling of investment income, coupled with increased profits at two subsidiaries, helped Highmark Inc. to raise its profit 100 percent in 2009, the company revealed this morning.

For the year ended Dec. 31, the region’s dominant health insurer posted a profit of $187.7 million, up from $94.1 million in 2008. Total revenues increased 5.3 percent to nearly $13.7 billion, from just over $13 billion in 2008.

And this from Wiki:

Highmark
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    This article is about the health insurance company.
    Highmark, Inc.

Type Private Not-For-Profit
    Industry Insurance
    Founded 1996 by Merger
    Headquarters Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Key people Dr. Kenneth R. Melani, President and CEO
    Products Health Insurance
    Revenue ▲$6.8 billion USD
    Employees 11,800
    Website http://www.highmark.com

Highmark’s headquarters at Penn Avenue and Fifth Avenue in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Highmark is a health insurance company based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States. It is the largest health insurer in Pennsylvania, and through a purchase in 1996, the largest health insurer in West Virginia. It primarily serves the western and central parts of Pennsylvania, some areas of eastern Ohio, and all of West Virginia, although it has recently purchased a 40% stake in the largest health insurer in northeastern Pennsylvania as well. It is currently one of the largest not-for-profit health insurers in the United States which owns several for-profit subsidiaries.

18. Al
    March 31, 2010 12:38 pm

The Jay Baruchel interview linked in your magazine post was a good read.

I do have a question though… and maybe this is just me being a skeptic… but with all of the She’s Out of Your League cast and other actors like Russell Crowe and Kevin Smith raving about Pittsburgh in the press after being here to film movies… it’s all very flattering, but do you think it is truly sincere or does it seem like some publicist saw what happened to Sienna Miller and warned all of Hollywood to not say anything bad about Pittsburgh?

I’d love to think that all of those people fell in love with the town, but the praise just seems a little too convenient considering the shit storm that Miller’s comments made. There were plenty of movies filmed here before The Mysteries of Pittsburgh and I can never recall anyone going out of their way to compliment the city afterward like almost every actor that’s filmed here since.

19. Monty
    March 31, 2010 1:01 pm

@Al — That’s possible, but I doubt it. All they’d have to do is just not say anything bad, no need to go overboard.

I, for one, haven’t lived there for nearly 20 years. But the love I have for that goddamn town that was developed in my first 18 years of life hasn’t gone away one bit. In fact, it’s probably grown, maybe because I’m not there enough to see the hickeys. I’ll be from Pittsburgh until the day I die. I’ve lived in NY for over a decade and it never ceases to amaze me how people come here and adopt this city, its sports teams, etc. and ignore where they came from. Except Pittsburghers. They know where they’re from.

March 31, 2010 1:14 pm

@monty — totally agree with the end of your 2nd paragraph there.

after growing up in pittsburgh, I lived in 3 other cities. while I had an appreciation for some of their teams (except for the brownies), my top 3 will always be the steelers, the penguins, and — yes — even the succos. and, I will always be from pittsburgh — no matter where I live — even if I wasn’t born here.

21. Megan
    March 31, 2010 7:00 pm

@Bojack – I have no idea what you mean, since I said nothing about accepting. Or maybe you were asking a different Megan.

22. Bojack
    March 31, 2010 8:51 pm

@Megan- No you did not. I was addressing the “always been that way,” “it’s like that everywhere” mentality in general because I truly feel that complacency is actually slow, grim death for a society, or in our case the city. Like a hidden cancer, all of a sudden it’s too late.

“All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.”

23. Megan
    April 2, 2010 4:13 pm

@Bojack – gotcha, but FWIW we do what we (legally) can to change the things we don’t like (voting, meetings, invlovement in child’s education, etc). My comment was more along the lines that not every place is perfect, so we choose what’s best for us and take it from there.