And its second name is “L-O-S-E-R!”

When I signed up for ESPN Insider to the tune of $6.99 per month — wait, let me first take a second to tell you the REASON I signed up for ESPN Insider was so that I could access the hi-res photo of Casey Hampton’s all-seeing belly button eye, you’re welcome — it came with a subscription to ESPN Magazine.

This week, ESPN Magazine polled 50 NHL players and in addition to revealing that they agree that Mellon Arena currently has the worst visitor’s locker room, it revealed this:

Seventy-three percent?!  They chose The Kraken over Sidney Crosby who has a Stanley Cup and an Olympic Gold medal?

My bologna has a first name and it’s spelled J-E-A-L-O-U-S-Y.

1. Valerie
    March 31, 2010 1:11 pm

Amen sister!

2. Sooska
    March 31, 2010 1:13 pm

Nothing new to see here. WE Burghers know who is best. The other players are no different than anyone else who hates Sid. After all Sidney himself is the one who, at an incredibly young age, both masterminded his current NHL over-exposure AND smoked most of those guys as they came up the Canadian hockey ranks. Turned them into pilons on a regular basis. They never heard of The BigStrongMan before he played for the Caps so they didn’t have an entire adolescence to develop into green eyed monster that they did with Sid. “Baloney,” indeed.

March 31, 2010 1:16 pm

I’m betting that the “one eastern conference player” quoted above wasn’t sergei gonchar….

4. cmd_45
    March 31, 2010 1:16 pm

Were all the voters Washington Capitals, Philadelphia Flyers and New Jersey Devils? Ovechkin, I bet would also get votes for “Dirtiest” player, although, it could be for either dirty play or hygiene issues:)

5. hello haha narf
    March 31, 2010 1:24 pm

i also hope our new arena gets the “worst visitor’s locker room” award.

6. Virginia
    March 31, 2010 1:25 pm

Hello haha narf,

I was thinking the same thing. We don’t want our visitors getting too comfy. We oughta fill the visitors’ locker room with pigeons. ;)

7. Jim Paek is my Hero
    March 31, 2010 1:31 pm

First off, I just want to make clear that by no means am I a fan of the Washington Caps or Ovie, and that I do love the Pens and Sid as much as the next Burger. With that said, I can understand where a lot of people think Ovie is the “Best Player”. Yes Sid has a Stanley Cup and yes he does have a Gold medal, but Sid benefits from the team that surrounds him. If you look purely at stats, Ovie has Sid beat. Both in my mind are pretty much equal, each has his own style, Sid is more of a playmaker where Ovie is more of a playreceiver. It’s like the Wayne Gretzky/Mario Lemieux argument.

8. other Brian
    March 31, 2010 1:35 pm

Ginny,

Instead of paying for Insider through the ESPN site, order the ESPN the Magazine for a discounted price on Amazon or discountmags.com for around $15 a year. You can use your subscription to get free access to the insider online, plus you get the magazine.

9. bluzdude
    March 31, 2010 1:40 pm

I’d say it’s more important to look at the end result rather than individual stats. Sid wins hands down. He makes other players better and, get this, actually plays some defense and plays on the penalty kill.

One player is sizzle, the other is steak. I’d take the Kid over the Ape every day.

10. spoon
    March 31, 2010 1:50 pm

if I was a spaz like Ovie and shot the puck every time it touched my blade I would have a kabillion majillion goals also.

Ovechkin 2009 ECF = Barry Bonds 1992 NLCS *chooooooooke*

Oh wait this is fun. what else…
    2009 Flyers = Barry Bonds 1992 NLCS

11. spoon
    March 31, 2010 1:52 pm

ECSF i should say.

12. Gina
    March 31, 2010 1:59 pm

Your bologna is apparently slutting around the NHL.

13. Matt
    March 31, 2010 2:12 pm

AO was chosen because NHL players have never been a fan of Crosby. Sid is by far the better all around player and the stats prove it. Yes, Ovie has had more goals the past couple years but that’s because he’s taken more shots then any one else. He constantly has twice as many shots then anyone on his team. He also has no idea what defense is. Also, how many times has Sid been suspended in his career? I just can’t see where people say he’s the better player out of the two of them.

14. RedInDaBurgh
    March 31, 2010 2:37 pm

I remember back to the late 80’s when the argument was between Lemieux and Gretzky. All us ‘Burghers thought the answer was clearly Mario, even though he had ZERO Cups and Gretzky had 2, then 3, then 4. Now we’re on the other side and we’re still complaining. The question wasn’t “Who’s the most successful?” or “Who raises their teammates level the most?”. And before all us yinzers get all flustery keep these things in mind:

The Pens record against the Devils and Caps this year.

Weigh that against the Pens chances of getting Crosby Cup #2 and Ovechkin tying Crosby with one Cup title.

Hold off our indignation until about the middle of June.

15. Joe K.
    March 31, 2010 2:48 pm

Look at Marian Hossa’s career playoff stats. Look at his playoff points per game with and without Crosby. Case closed.

16. empirechick
    March 31, 2010 2:58 pm

RedInDaBurgh – Season series records:

Pens lose to Devils
    Devils lose to Flyers
    Flyers lose to Pens

I don’t think you can judge much from regular season.

Pens were terrible last year in February, then got on a run to win the whole thing.

How many years has the Western Conference #1 seed lost in the first or second round?

Unless the Caps get some defense and goal tending (and get over their Pens envy), I’m not afraid of them.

17. Monty
    March 31, 2010 3:23 pm

To me the only important poll question is which of Sid’s or Ovie’s playoff beard looks more like Robin Williams’ knuckle.

18. Pensgirl
    March 31, 2010 3:52 pm

1. ESPN can’t do hockey. That “poll” is only a few of the players, and you don’t know which ones. It means nothing.

2. Sid leads AO in goals. And look at the difference in linemates.

3. Sid won the Pearson before AO, and that is player-voted.

4. He can’t hear the whiners – his awards are plugging his ears.

5. He’s by far the better person than any of the rest of ’em.

19. Scott
    March 31, 2010 4:17 pm

Wife and I have tickets for the Pens-Caps next Tuesday. Can’t wait. However, it will be bittersweet as it is likely our last ever game at the Igloo.

20. PA Girl in VA
    March 31, 2010 4:30 pm

@#5 – Agreed!
    @18 – Good points. Remember, it was 73% of those that responded. Perhaps only 10 players responded and 7 of them were Caps players (just doin’ rough math, folks – no need to correct me). You end up with skewed results. Even if it were 730 out of 1000 players, I still don’t give it any creedence. We all know Sid is the better all around player AND, more importatly, person.

21. Trisha
    March 31, 2010 4:35 pm

The true reason Ovi won that poll is probably because HE was sitting there voting for himself over and over and over… loser.

22. Summer
    March 31, 2010 4:36 pm

Bite me, ESPN.

23. pghsciencenerd
    March 31, 2010 5:21 pm

1. One main reason Ovechkin is able to score so many goals lies in playing in the weakest division in the NHL. The Southeast Division has 30 points separating the division #1 seed (Capitals) and the #2 seed (Thrashers), while just a few points are separating the top two teams or even the entire division. When the majority of games played are against poorly matched within-division opponents, it becomes easy to pad one’s stats. For instance, if my 7th grade girls softball team played the majority of its games against the Pirates, we might have the best stats in MLB. Ovechkin’s stats would look a lot different if he played more games against better matched opponents.

2. Capitals – Ovechkin = complete joke of a team. Jose Threeormore doesn’t have that nickname for nothing. In my opinion, there’s a deep psychological connection among the Caps between Ovechkin playing and success. The team appears to lose steam when he takes himself out of games due to his own stupidity. Penguins – Crosby = certainly weakened, but others step up. Re: Evgeni Malkin.

3. Crosby is a more emotionally mature of a player right now than Ovechkin. I think it will be very interesting to see how things turn out 5-7 years from now. Ovechkin could mature into a great leader and player, but judging by his current behavior on the ice, he’s much more likely to injure himself out of playing.

4. Ovechkin is more flamboyant in his style of playing than Crosby, but that’s a matter of personal playing style more than anything else. If one really doesn’t know much about hockey and holds no particular team allegiance, Ovechkin is more exciting to watch than Crosby. However, the end result isn’t the same. Re: Crosby’s gold Olympic medal and Stanley Cup. Crosby’s more willing to put the team over the individual, hence the payoff. Teams win Cups, individuals don’t.

5. Ovechkin and the Capitals team are “marketed” to the casual hockey viewer: people who really don’t start watching until the playoffs begin and aren’t really sure of the tenacity it takes to make it to the NHL playoffs. The antics at the Verizon Center make this point-I’ll take my hockey without techno music, strobe lights, and announcements of basic hockey terminology during every single game, thanks. Ovechkin’s style makes him easier to market to casual fans, pure and simple, hence the emphasis on “most exciting player in the NHL.”

Disclaimer: Pens are my favorite, but not only, NHL team.

24. Still A Fan
    March 31, 2010 5:23 pm

Wait…it’s hockey season???

25. pghsciencenerd
    March 31, 2010 5:27 pm

Oh, one more thing: I hate the Capitals so much that even I, Southwestern PA’s self-proclaimed #1 Jaromir Jagr fan, won’t buy Capitals-related Jagr merchandise thanks to the jokes known as Ted Leonsis, Bruce Boudreau, and Alex Ovechkin.

Several of my Twitter acquaintances went to the recent Pens-Caps game in DC, and the best insult Caps fans could tell them was “The mill is closing.”

26. MM
    March 31, 2010 5:41 pm

I am assuming that Sid will take the cup and medal over the popularity contest win:)

27. butcher's dog
    March 31, 2010 5:49 pm

Anyone who just looks at one player’s stats to make any kind of judgement probably is a big fantasy/video game junkie. There’s a scientific name for those people: Morons.

Give me character, give me team, give me Sidney.

28. Opinionated White Trash
    April 1, 2010 12:31 am

Probably just a BS poll fishing for readers. Fake results to get people to write ESPN 20 times on someone’s blog. They win again.
    Damn.

29. Seth Rorabaugh
    April 1, 2010 4:11 am

As someone who visits that visiting locker room after most games (Yeah, I’m, bragging), I can pretty much tell you the poll is spot on about the visiting room.

It’s cramped, has no carpeting, has exposed wiring, all sorts of odd stains in the ceiling tiles and has little ventilation. And when you’re dealing with soaked, sweaty hockey equipment, you want that stuff to air our.

It might be the most disgusting room in the entire city of Pittsburgh.

30. greg
    April 1, 2010 8:30 am

I cannot believe anyone would choose the Dark One over Crosby! You are exactly right, Crosby has won the Stanley Cup and the Olympic gold medal… how can you compare the two athletes?

In my opinion, it pays to be a winner….. Go Pens

31. angela
    April 1, 2010 9:29 am

Crosby rocks. Ovi is a prima-donna. Ugh.

Also, Luongo is NOT overrate. He also has Olympic Gold. (Maybe you can tell I’m from Canada?! hehe)